Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1968 Chevy Chevelle SS 396...........My take

MrObsessive

On 1/13/2019 at 4:57 PM, Rob Hall said:

I assume they have different side tool inserts for a 69 body, since the 69 doesn’t have the vent windows, different side trim, different marker lights.  

One other most most often overlooked difference in a 68-69 Chevelle. Where the back of the qtr panel is cut for the bumper is straight up and down on a 69 and slants forwards at the bottom on a 68. The bumper ends a shaped accordingly too.

32 minutes ago, yellowsportwagon said:

One other most most often overlooked difference in a 68-69 Chevelle. Where the back of the qtr panel is cut for the bumper is straight up and down on a 69 and slants forwards at the bottom on a 68. The bumper ends a shaped accordingly too.

Wow, good eye! Would you believe I've never noticed this in 50 years! :blink: But I checked and you're absolutely right. 

Had to go back and look at my AMT '69s. They have the vertical bumper cuts as you describe. I wonder if AMT did the '68 correctly at the time, too? (I've never even seen one.) 

55 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Wow, good eye! Would you believe I've never noticed this in 50 years! :blink: But I checked and you're absolutely right. 

Had to go back and look at my AMT '69s. They have the vertical bumper cuts as you describe. I wonder if AMT did the '68 correctly at the time, too? (I've never even seen one.) 

If you ever tried using a 69 qtr on a 68 you find out right away. They discontinued 68s long before 69s years ago.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:40 AM, Greg Wann said:

OK EH!  There's Beaumont parts here eh!.  You should all get some resin parts from Mike Schnur Eh!  How about a "what if" Baldwin Motion Beaumont eh!?  I always enjoyed watching Second City Television back in the late 70'S.  Much funnier than SNL.  This is where John Candy and others started. Mrs. Falbo's Tiny town.  Someone would blow up real good on the morning farm report, The fishin' Musician, the list goes on.  This is where I first heard the band called "The Tubes"  AWSOME MUSIC TOO.  They are actually from Tempe, Arizona I did not think Canadians actually spoke like that until I met a couple while working at Purdue University building a new laboratory.  They were a couple of funny guys.  My Dad used to watch the Red Green Show.  That was just too funny too.  I presume you guys don't build models with duct tape, eh?

What I wanna know was Wendy and the plasmatics on there . Really good there EH!

Michael 

14 minutes ago, hvymtl said:

What I wanna know was Wendy and the plasmatics on there . Really good there EH!

Michael 

They did in fact appear on SCTV. I remember it because of WOW's outfit, which could only have been shown on broadcast TV after midnight! :blink: And I was surprised even THEN! :blink::blink:

On 1/19/2019 at 12:52 PM, Snake45 said:

That's why buying the Modelhaus 68 Chevelle conversion kit is not a simple chore. Making a 68 rear bumper fit on a 69 requires extra styrene and shaving.

On 1/21/2019 at 1:52 PM, Snake45 said:

Ron, I'd be willing to bet that yours comes out twice as good. B)

I appreciate the comment. I'm working on one right now. I'm planning on adding a vinyl roof. There's one for sale locally to me that is drop dead gorgeous. I'm going to base my build on that car. It will be a while because I cannot paint until warms up outside. I have everything else I need to do the model.

In the mean time, I have a 69 I built several years ago that needs a refresh.  It's too nice to scrap.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Bob Ellis said:

I know Revell added the exhaust tips but, I don't believe they came with 68 Chevelles when new Pipes turned down towards the side at an angle.

Correct. The chrome oval tips started in 69 for the SS.

• 4 weeks later...

Side window shape looks dang close, but the entire roof and side window are proportionally too big by just a smidge. I haven’t done the math, but I spent some time with a caliper. It’s off. Typical Revell though....killer detail, and interesting subject matter, but just a hint of that old 1/24 Monogram wacky proportion jagger still lingers. 

...oh, and there’s not enough ‘hump’ in the front fender profile either. Needs just a little more ‘haunch’. 

On 4/18/2019 at 4:37 PM, gui_tarzan said:

Does anyone make a non-SS grille and rear panel for this?

Seems like an opportunity for the Olson Brothers. Hint hint. Malibu bench seat too. Wanna build an L79 !!

Edited by Rodent

19 hours ago, Craig Irwin said:

I went to RT's Hobby Haus in Richmond Indiana earlier today, he had 2 on the shelf. One is still there if anyone wants to make the trip!

He has a lot of stuff in his store, a little difficult to get to, but worth the trip....

On 4/21/2019 at 12:23 AM, Rodent said:

Seems like an opportunity for the Olson Brothers. Hint hint. Malibu bench seat too. Wanna build an L79 !!

Yeah, the problem is the pattern of the grille is so small it would be impossible to duplicate by hand. We looked at it hoping we could. 

On 4/20/2019 at 7:01 PM, Craig Irwin said:

I went to RT's Hobby Haus in Richmond Indiana earlier today, he had 2 on the shelf. One is still there if anyone wants to make the trip!

Is there a maker on the package? I really don't want to butcher mine and have it look bad. 

On 4/20/2019 at 9:23 PM, Rodent said:

A 300 Deluxe Coupe with the (underrated-in-its-latter-years)  350hp L-79 would be awesome ! Same with the same-year Chevy II (which we need a 1968 AND 1970 Nova kitted , please !) ; truly a sleeper !

On 5/4/2019 at 3:34 PM, 1972coronet said:

Same with the same-year Chevy II (which we need a 1968 AND 1970 Nova kitted , please !) ; truly a sleeper !

Don't hold your breath. With Revell's '69 and AMT's '72, the manufacturers no doubt consider the third-gen Nova "covered," either though neither kit is particularly good. What we might hope for is conversion front and rears for other years for one or the other (probably Revell's). What would really be awesome would be a fully corrected body and rear bumper for the Revell kit. 

On 12/22/2018 at 5:37 PM, Dave Van said:

As a 1/1 owner....you should know.......

The AMT 69 side window shape SEEMS better to me. Is it the AMT is wrong but we have had it forever??? Or is it better?? Or am I just seeing through worn out eyes??? Thx

MCGRIFF69a.JPG

Nice job on your build of Hershels (?) "Oly Express".