Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1969 Mustang Boss 302............My take with pics!

MrObsessive

Another one we've been waiting for! One that we thought might not have seen the light of day with the troubles that Revell was having recently.

Well, from first glance I have to say that Revell knocked this one outta the park! The front end on this is MUCH, MUCH better than the previous one! Gone is that forlorn and forsaken look the previous tooling had!

P1016519-vi.jpg
P1016520-vi.jpg
P1016521-vi.jpg
P1016522-vi.jpg
P1016523-vi.jpg

One thing that still bugs me with Revell (and others) is the lack of positive locations when it comes to attaching front end parts for example. In this case here, of course this is a mockup to show how nice they finally got that front end.

When it comes time to building and final assembly, it sure would be nice if we didn't have to 'hope' things go on straight after the body is nicely painted and polished up. Having a positive location would go a long way to ensure that flub ups are minimized and contributes to a neater appearance in the end.

P1016524-vi.jpg

Chassis parts on the sprue. I have to wonder if Revell borrowed some bits and pieces from their '69 Shelby kit to make this chassis. It sure looks an awful lot like it!

P1016525-vi.jpg

Boss 302 spoiler with separate 'stands'.

P1016526-vi.jpg

Interior tub and seats with correct 1969 pattern. My only quibble in this area is the tub itself. Much better to build the interior on the flip side of the chassis floor (like a 1:1 car) and not have the hassle of trying to paint the door panels which in an interior tub is a real pain in the tush.

Are those Shelby side scoops I see on the sprue?? More reinforcement that this is based somewhat on the Shelby which isn't a bad thing as that's a really nice kit.

P1016527-vi.jpg
P1016527-vi.jpg

Correct '69 Mustang grille which looks to have the proper angle to it.

P1016528-vi.jpg

Rear end with leaf springs, proper steering wheel, sport mirrors and wheel backs.

P1016529-vi.jpg

Proper '69 taillight panel and the 302 engine. I see they give you the rear window shade which is a nice touch. I'm not that crazy about those however and if I were able to buy this car in '69, I'd have them leave that off.

P1016530-vi.jpg

Chrome tree.......once again I see some Shelby specific parts on the sprue.

P1016531-vi.jpg

WOW! Check out these white lettered tires! VERY nice tampo printing Revell!

P1016532-vi.jpg

Clear red taillight lenses.........

P1016533-vi.jpg

Very nice decal sheet with gauge faces! Nice touch and it goes a long way to dressing up the dash!

I didn't take a pic of the glass........doesn't show up well on this camera, but it is of the runner type (rather have separate glass), but you all know how I am about glass, so I may not be using it anyway! :P

Well, that's all there is to this! I can see this turning up on lots and lots of contest tables over the months and years. I'd say this may be the most desired Mustang of all the years made, and it's high time Revell did this one justice! From what I see, they're knockin' 'em dead with these two latest releases!

Keep 'em comin' Revell!

Thanks for the great pics! It looks better, but I can't really tell without the grille being in place. 

Did you happen to see if the new nose piece fits on the old Mach I body? I'm more interested in building a Mach I than a Boss anyway. 

That's one of the first things I'll be trying when I get mine. And I'll try to get pics of the new front end with an original AMT annual, which was just about perfect. 

Thanks for these photos and mock-ups , Bill . 

Considering that this kit has its origins in the c.1982 release of the 1970 BOSS 429 , it holds up well . Certainly , that 1st issue from over thirty-five years ago was quite nice to begin with ( the chassis was definitely one of its stronger points ; unusual for the time , especially when it came to Monogram's offerings ) . I built so many of those freakin' Calypso Coral '70 BOSS kits that I could build 'em in my sleep ! Just a fun , fun kit .

Last one of these that I built was the c.1994 issue of the 1970 BOSS 302 (moulded-in-yellow) . As a modified-reissue ( in es. ) , it was a fine kit ; loved the Autolite Inline Four Barrel option ; and, the mufflers that had FoMoCo insignia and part numbers was a nice addition .

18 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Did you happen to see if the new nose piece fits on the old Mach I body? I'm more interested in building a Mach I than a Boss anyway.

I don't have the Mach 1 so I'm not sure. Later on, I'll see if I can get the grille to stay in place without gluing it in and take a pic.

1 minute ago, mike 51 said:

I thought those "old"  70 Mustangs were 1/24......   isn't this 1/25th?

Yes, but I believe the same masters were used to develop both the 1/24 and 1/25 series. Although different sizes, the parts similarities are apparent. 

8 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

THANKS!!! I've waited for this one since the old Revell 69 with the flat face. I think the original 69 fastback spawned the Shelby and it's now the 'new' 69 Boss. 

The Revell '69 Shelby appeared years before the '69 Mach I. 

2 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

OK, here it is with the grille in place. To my eyes which aren't as good as they used to be, a 100% improvement over the junky one we had before. ;)

P1016536-vi.jpg

Oh yes, MUCH improved. I can see it from here! B)

I've always wanted to do Mickey Thompson's '69 Boss 429 Pro Stock. Even started one back in the day, now long gone. Started another one when the Revell '69 Mach I came out, then gave up on it when I discovered I couldn't live with the nose shape. Maybe THIS time around I can get it done! 

Bill,

Thanks for the nice review and photos.  I wonder how difficult it would be to make a fold-down rear seat?  Also, I don't remember what colors the stripes came in.  It would be nice if other stripe colors could be provided in case someone wants a black car.  Hopefully one of the aftermarket companies will make decals.  

It looks like Revell did a great job!

17 minutes ago, Motor City said:

Bill,

Also, I don't remember what colors the stripes came in.  It would be nice if other stripe colors could be provided in case someone wants a black car. 

'69 Boss 302s were only built in Bright Yellow, Calypso Coral (orange), Acapulco Blue, and Wimbledon White, and I think they all had black stripes. No black cars from the factory. 

1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

'69 Boss 302s were only built in Bright Yellow, Calypso Coral (orange), Acapulco Blue, and Wimbledon White, and I think they all had black stripes. No black cars from the factory. 

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen any Boss 302 with other than black stripes. They were somewhat limited production as it were so Ford wasn't going to go crazy with all kinds of options for those.

WoW ! WoW ! the awesome thing I see in this kit is that after all these years Revell has finely started to do a nice set of tires for there kits I love the detail they put in there kits but trouth be told there tires suck I have always replaced them with the AMT parts pack tires this is nice. Now they need to sell them in a parts pack so I can replace a hole lot of tires on there kits.!!! Ho ya the kit looks awesome I will be getting a couple of them.