Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1969 Mustang Boss 302............My take with pics!

MrObsessive

4 hours ago, vamach1 said:

According to the Mustang Recognition guide the deluxe interior was an option.

IMG_3484.JPG

Very good I wasn't sure of the answer to that. But, no matter what, the console and roll bar mounts are only correct for the Shelbys. The interior and console in Revell's '70 Mach 1 is correct that car. I wonder if it would be correct for this and Revell's other '69 Mustang kits? There should be few differences, that it would not let it work. Or you can do like I am, and ignoring the problem. I just figured that somebody wanted the Shelby roll bar and console in their regular Mustang, and did the conversion. Though what would one do with the courtesy and fog lamps switches in the Shelby console? The courtesy light switch? That's easy, hook it up to turn on your courtesy lights without using the regular light switch to do the job. But, what about the fog light switch? That one I haven't figured out an answer to yet. 

I just got my two Boss 302 kits today. It is reworked from the Mach 1 kit. The interior is untouched. The body is pretty much untouched other than filling in the holes for the side scoops. The intentions for the c pillar emblems are still present and would need to be filled in for the Boss 302 but are used on all other versions. The rear panel has the exhaust cut outs filled in and the hood is filled in. The hood pins were also removed from the hood and should have stayed. The new grill has an astrick in the directions indicating a chromed part but it is not chromed. The tail pipes have been corrected with turn downs and the engine is real nice. I love what I see and can't wait to build one!

17 minutes ago, Motor City said:

Raoul,

Based on what you have said, it sounds like the best thing to do is take the hood and interior from the Mach 1 and use it in the Boss kit.  Then sell the Mach 1 for parts.

I hope to use the new front end parts on the Mach I. Dunno yet what I'll do with all the leftovers but I'll think of something. B):lol:

10 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I hope to use the new front end parts on the Mach I. Dunno yet what I'll do with all the leftovers but I'll think of something. B):lol:

Interiors are exactly the same. The Mach1 hood has the shaker that is not correct for a 69 Boss 302. Optional for the 70 Boss 302.

Front end parts are interchangeable! New Revell parts are real similar to the DMold parts pictured.

ED71C770-65F0-48D8-BF41-FCD0637E0A7B.jpeg

I guess you can't blame revell for not blowing a lot of money on the modifications to make this kit look better. Thanks, Raoul, for the confirmation of what I'd suspected looking at Bill's pics. Unfortunately that means most of the original flaws are still present, including the quarter window    :mellow:                         

P9104299-vi.jpg

revell top, amt middle, mpc bottom

mike

11 hours ago, Force said:

Yes they have to be as they are pretty much the same except for the size.
The Monogram 1970 Mustang was released 1981 and the 1969 Shelby 1988, the 1969 Mustang Mach 1 in 1989, one can wonder why they did cut the tooling in two scales as they are based on the same master when the tooling is so expensive...it would have been better if they was done in one scale and could share parts that are the same.
They continued with 1:24th scale for NASCAR, Funny Car and some Pro Stock kits even after the 1986 merge of the Revell and Monogram companies.
Well this was a side note.

A quote from a friend who at the time worked at Revell-Monogram, "money came in by the truckloads"

Also, the masters were early '80s Monogram designed, their dominant scale from automotive kits was 1/24, Revell was 1/25th (a scale preference they both kept after the merger until the '59 Cadillac)....therefore the choice to do the Shelby and Mach-1 in that scale.

Why they chose to release them as Revell 1/25 instead of Monogram branded 1/24th scale kits, pure marketing....maybe to test the waters, compare sales date, on what scale generated the biggest sales, and maybe it proved that the North American market favored 1/25th.

Maybe Dave Van, can add more info, as he knows Bob Johnson, a Monogram model kit designer at the time...

Edited by Luc Janssens

P9104299-vi.jpg

It's always interesting to see three different kit makers have a different spin on a particular subject. Now that I see the quarter window shape of the Revell Mustang, I can't unsee it. So whenever the time comes to make this a WIP, that's a fix I'll have to do among other things.

That also explains the 'broadness' at the top of the C pillar before it begins to taper into the trunk. I couldn't put my finger on why that seemed a bit 'off', but seeing all three of these bodies together makes it VERY clear.

Not a hard fix (to me), but something that I can't let go once it's under construction. ;)

Also, this is the first I've ever seen a Mach 1 body out of the box. I never bought that kit as the box art build-up was woefully unimpressive due to that front end. And others models I had seen left me underwhelmed because it was so wrong.

I can see where Revell made those side scoops separate.

I never knew that until now!

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:09 AM, MrObsessive said:

That's the BIG thing that jumped out at me besides the VERY accurate front end...........those tires! Yeah, it would be great if Revell jumped into that market of selling those tires (along with their tampo printed redlines) in parts packs.

I'm sure a number of these kits will sell big time alone because of FINALLY getting some decent tires and not the nameless, soulless blobs we were getting before.

Well with any luck if they are reading this maybe they will.! And I also like the accurate front end it does make this kit look a lot better.!

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

It's always interesting to see three different kit makers have a different spin on a particular subject. Now that I see the quarter window shape of the Revell Mustang, I can't unsee it. So whenever the time comes to make this a WIP, that's a fix I'll have to do among other things.

Yes, the quarter window shape has been consistent through all the variations and scales..the Monogram 1/32nd and 1/87th Mustangs also have it. 

Edited by Rob Hall

Ok............I've been studying that quarter window shape on my example reeeeal close since I made that post. One issue that would go a long way to get that shape more correct is the angle of the quarter window 'frame' or post.

It's a bit too upright if not slanted back slightly and should lean just a bit forward. Also, increasing the size of the trailing edge of the quarter window the width of the drip rail would help in getting the shape closer to the 1:1. As I said, now that it's been pointed out and I see it, I can't unsee it. :huh:

4 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Ok............I've been studying that quarter window shape on my example reeeeal close since I made that post. One issue that would go a long way to get that shape more correct is the angle of the quarter window 'frame' or post.

It's a bit too upright if not slanted back slightly and should lean just a bit forward. Also, increasing the size of the trailing edge of the quarter window the width of the drip rail would help in getting the shape closer to the 1:1. As I said, now that it's been pointed out and I see it, I can't unsee it. :huh:

Monogram/Revell made it triangular.  The real window shape is a trapezoid.   

Edited by Rob Hall

That 1/4 window shape looks more like the MPC Ford EXP.  To fix it, you'd have to extend the top and rear of the window back a bit, then cant the bottom of the window up at an angle.  To get the bottom correct, you probably need to add a wedge-shaped piece.  Then you'd have to get a correct hood with the lock pins.  That's more trouble than I'm willing to do.   

1 hour ago, RDean58 said:

I've looked a lot of pictures of the 69 Boss 302 and don't see a lot of them with hood pins.

Ford-Mustang-Boss-Classics-promo.jpg

400251-1000-0.jpg?rev=2

The photo in the Mustang Recognition Guide that's posted earlier in this thread doesn't show hood pins, and they aren't listed in the exterior section of the text that's visible in the same photo. 

In the era when this car first came to market it was a common thing for owners to add Hood Pins. This was not just for appearance, it was often combined with a lock of some sort. This was to keep people with sticky fingers from liberating anything they could find under the hood. Also made everyone think you were a racer.