Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1969 Mustang Boss 302............My take with pics!

MrObsessive

3 hours ago, Daddy Mack said:

The funny part is: reading remarks from people with poor-to-nonexistent modeling skills picking apart PICTURES of model car kits ( were they ever advertised as miniature replicas? ) that are blown up to 3-5 times their actual size ( hey, i have a 48" monitor, and you don't ) and implying that they have the talent to finish such a 'defective model' to the point where the only apparent defects that are visible in the finished product are the ones that were there when it fell out of the mold. In other words, we have a book of criticisms from people whose skills fail to rise to the perfection that they demand. Gotta be the same crop of complainers who congregate at the local coffee shop every morning.

Could not agree with you more !! Does make for hysterical reading though, as if they are on the dealers lot and actually kicking the tires, picking the car apart but not admitting they could not afford the tires nor the insurance on the actual car. And taking home handfuls of brochures to dream and criticize Ford for all the glaring errors they made in the design of the automobile. I have an actual dealer promo of one, will I tear it apart and modify it because the ash tray is a 99th degree off etc., absolutely not. It is in brand new condition, a nice piece in my collection and will not tamper with the value of this model. The old saying is 'Leave well enough alone'. Besides, they are models for admiring and displaying, not actual driving !!!

If this model was 100% accurate, folks here would argue that the manufacturer packaged the kit using cardboard stock that was slightly thinner/thicker than that used on all the old vintage kits form the good ol' days.

It's OK to disagree, but keep it civil. Don't make it personal.

4 minutes ago, American 185 Heavy said:

Make a convertible out of it !! Will eliminate stressing over minor details and be really unique !! But hide the box when you are done. As one poster said, it too will create lots of unwanted turbulence we are sure !!

As a Mustang purist I'd wince at that since I see way too many "real" Mach1 and Boss convertibles already.

Recently acquired this kit and did some tweaking to the nose and glued it in place.  I removed material to allow the nose to be installed high enough that the body line (on the nose) aligned with that of the body.  Also flattened out the top a bit.  Not perfect but an improvement I think.

DSCN5918DSCN5920DSCN5922DSCN5922a

Edited by afx

I ordered this and the Chevelle when they released and finally was able to pick them up today. All this talk and no one has mentioned that the kit box is Round 2 sized instead of the traditional Revell box size. Might not mean much to most, but the way I store my stash I've always been able to stack two Revell boxes or three Round 2 boxes per shelf. Perhaps the new Revell is changing their shipping methods?

Interesting.  Never noticed the difference in box sizes between Round 2 and Revell.  Comparing a couple kits, recent Revell boxes seem to a bit taller than Round 2 boxes, same length and width though.  I do seem to be able to stack 4 Round 2 boxes in the same shelf space I can fit 3 Revell boxes.  

Edited by Rob Hall

Completed build (w/o engine)  by Al Meske.  Two things jump out at me which I think others already mentioned.  The area where the emblem goes (on the Mach1) behind the rear window needs to be smoothed out since the Boss does not have them.  Also, as JC recently noted, the nose should be tweaked to make sure it aligns with the fender.  Hats off to Al for painting his Boss in the least seen color of the four.

IMG_3557.PNG

7 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Hmm...I have the Monogram 1/32nd '70 Mach 1 and Mini Exacts 1/87th '69 Mustang...but this looks like is a '69 Boss 302.  

It will be a street Boss 302.  Now I just need to find 1/32 Magnum 500s and Boss decals.

IMG_3560.JPG

Edited by vamach1

• 2 weeks later...

So question, were the available '69 Mustang kits just a early release ahead of the main one or was it a supremely small stock? I had to chalk off 40$ international shipping on top of the kit price so I thought hell no at the time but as of late I cant even spot a single one on eBay(or rather one that can be shipped internationally).

8 minutes ago, echoxrayniner said:

So question, were the available '69 Mustang kits just a early release ahead of the main one or was it a supremely small stock? I had to chalk off 40$ international shipping on top of the kit price so I thought hell no at the time but as of late I cant even spot a single one on eBay(or rather one that can be shipped internationally).

Well, this was the US release...I don't know if Revell has released it internationally yet. 

1 hour ago, echoxrayniner said:

Buy it from this guy...

http://www.toyman.nl/Coming soon.html

• 4 weeks later...