Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1969 Mustang Boss 302............My take with pics!

MrObsessive

On 12/28/2018 at 8:54 PM, Snake45 said:

That kit's biggest problem is that it's a scale point or two undersized, and its second biggest problem is its front valence pan is too shallow (which can be fixed). It has some other glitches here and there but its whole front end is STILL more accurate than the corrected Revell.  (And yes, that's the ancient MPC kit.)

I just might have to dig one of these out and Snake-slap it around a little to show y'all what can be done with it. It'll still be too small, but it'll look goodB):lol:

Here's a couple of pics I took tonight to compare the two. The new one is obviously taller and longer (more correct scale) and the new Revell body is better, but after looking at it in person I believe they could have done better without a lot of work. There are some things that bug me about the new release but there's no sense in re-hashing them, I'll just try to fix them. It is a disappointment though, I was hoping for a little better. 

20190214_204421.jpg

20190214_204430.jpg

57 minutes ago, Force said:

It's not a bad idea to test fit everything before paint so one can do adjustments if necessary.

Yes............ALWAYS! Especially IMO should this be done LAST so you can be sure all things will fit with the least amount of hassle. I don't like to do all that work painting and polishing the body, only to have it all scratched up and nicked because I found out after the fact that something is amiss.

On 2/12/2019 at 2:26 PM, dodgefever said:

I'd be more interested in a corrected body than an interior.  The new front end doesn't look as bad as the old one, but there's still that heaviness at the rear and the AMX look about the quarters.

I really wish they would add a "like" feature. 

tu.PNG

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, DiscoRover007 said:

So is the main issue with this kit now that the rear quarter windows are not the correct shape?  Simple sanding and clear plastic the fix?

Yeah, they're a bit too small. Could stand to be made a larger a tad. Not a hard fix, but not a super egregious error either.

39 minutes ago, DiscoRover007 said:

So is the main issue with this kit now that the rear quarter windows are not the correct shape?  Simple sanding and clear plastic the fix?

The whole front end's still not right, but it is hella better than it was before. I guess this is about as good as we're gonna get, unless Round 2 finds some way to resurrect the original AMT annual, which I just don't see happening. :unsure:

On 2019-03-05 at 4:23 PM, Snake45 said:

The whole front end's still not right, but it is hella better than it was before. I guess this is about as good as we're gonna get, unless Round 2 finds some way to resurrect the original AMT annual, which I just don't see happening. :unsure:

Looking at pictures of the revised model and the real cars I have to agree with you, they still haven't entirely captured the look the real cars front have.
Something has bugged me about the front since I saw the pictures of the revised model, I think the "eyebrows" above the outer headlights could have been even more straight and flat, because the front of the real '69 Mustang has a mean and angry look to it and the model still does not really have that.
But as you say, it's way better than it was.

Edited by Force

On 3/5/2019 at 10:23 AM, Snake45 said:

Well I just got one, my mom was in Mrytle Beach on holidays (if you're near there, HL has them) and picked me up one. I'll have it in my hot little hands in a couple hours, but I'm ok with the look of it. I'm not nearly as critical as you "old guys" on older cars. I love Mustangs, but for me, as long as it looks decent I'll take it. I'm way more critical of race cars so I get the want to have things "exact" 

I just hope it builds up nice. I've seen a couple done now, here and on youtube and it looks good. I'll be happy with it as is for now and dont think I'll mod anything on it, except to fix the indents I see on the C pillars, I assume for some badging not on the 302.

Now, to pick a colour. I'm leaning towards Acapulco Blue with a black interior.

Re rear DLO windows, not just a bit small, but a bit triangular rather than trapezoidal, too.  I'd actually look to widen them a bit at the apex where they curve into the drip molding, then graft in some strip to make a harder, more angular molding where I widened the top.

1969mustangsportsroodDLO.jpg.0129c2d1ea13f088ff79bf0000798a0b.jpg

Nothing too radical.

20 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Re rear DLO windows, not just a bit small, but a bit triangular rather than trapezoidal, too.  I'd actually look to widen them a bit at the apex where they curve into the drip molding, then graft in some strip to make a harder, more angular molding where I widened the top. 

Nothing too radical.

I did that to my Mach 1 with the corrected front end from Russia. I have to re do it because I removed too much.

I just picked up the Boss 302 - I'm a sucker for box art.  ;)

Any thoughts on painting the blacked-out hood?  I know there's a template (sort of) in the instructions; but it assumes the black paint will match the black trim decals. 

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 7:18 AM, Jonathan said:

I just picked up the Boss 302 - I'm a sucker for box art.  ;)

Any thoughts on painting the blacked-out hood?  I know there's a template (sort of) in the instructions; but it assumes the black paint will match the black trim decals. 

https://www.facebook.com/RevellUSA/ here you go! just scroll down the page you will see it .

Edited by Mr mopar

Is anyone dong a racing version and what are you using as an interior?  BTW this is. Modified Mach1 body long before the 69 Boss kit came out.  It also has the Russian grille.  As you can tell I never got past the primer stage and may sway the hood out with the one from the new kit.

IMG_4169.JPG

IMG_4170.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Just started on mine tonight. Has this happened to anyone else, I started in on the engine and I'm missing the oil pan. It looks like fell off the sprue at the factory prior to bagging. Anyone else missing any parts from this kit? I'm not going to bother trying to get  a replacement, I dug up something acceptable from the parts box. 

I just looked my over.  What I found was two engine block/tranny assemblies.  The sprue with the Boss 302 model specific parts (rear window louvers, etc) had the oil pan and all the other parts included though the attachment to the oil pan sprue was very thin.  The other, with the main body/frame parts, didn't have the pan or pretty much any other engine parts.  So I got a tranny and engine block extra.

• 4 weeks later...

Am I the only one having trouble finding one of these kits? I`ve been out of the loop, and out of the market, for a little while, and I am aware of the shakeup and delays at Revell, but I am seeing some people asking crazy prices already.

• 1 year later...
On 12/23/2018 at 1:57 AM, MrObsessive said:

Another one we've been waiting for! One that we thought might not have seen the light of day with the troubles that Revell was having recently.

Well, from first glance I have to say that Revell knocked this one outta the park! The front end on this is MUCH, MUCH better than the previous one! Gone is that forlorn and forsaken look the previous tooling had!

P1016519-vi.jpg
P1016520-vi.jpg
P1016521-vi.jpg
P1016522-vi.jpg
P1016523-vi.jpg

One thing that still bugs me with Revell (and others) is the lack of positive locations when it comes to attaching front end parts for example. In this case here, of course this is a mockup to show how nice they finally got that front end.

When it comes time to building and final assembly, it sure would be nice if we didn't have to 'hope' things go on straight after the body is nicely painted and polished up. Having a positive location would go a long way to ensure that flub ups are minimized and contributes to a neater appearance in the end.

P1016524-vi.jpg

Chassis parts on the sprue. I have to wonder if Revell borrowed some bits and pieces from their '69 Shelby kit to make this chassis. It sure looks an awful lot like it!

P1016525-vi.jpg

Boss 302 spoiler with separate 'stands'.

P1016526-vi.jpg

Interior tub and seats with correct 1969 pattern. My only quibble in this area is the tub itself. Much better to build the interior on the flip side of the chassis floor (like a 1:1 car) and not have the hassle of trying to paint the door panels which in an interior tub is a real pain in the tush.

Are those Shelby side scoops I see on the sprue?? More reinforcement that this is based somewhat on the Shelby which isn't a bad thing as that's a really nice kit.

P1016527-vi.jpg
P1016527-vi.jpg

Correct '69 Mustang grille which looks to have the proper angle to it.

P1016528-vi.jpg

Rear end with leaf springs, proper steering wheel, sport mirrors and wheel backs.

P1016529-vi.jpg

Proper '69 taillight panel and the 302 engine. I see they give you the rear window shade which is a nice touch. I'm not that crazy about those however and if I were able to buy this car in '69, I'd have them leave that off.

P1016530-vi.jpg

Chrome tree.......once again I see some Shelby specific parts on the sprue.

P1016531-vi.jpg

WOW! Check out these white lettered tires! VERY nice tampo printing Revell!

P1016532-vi.jpg

Clear red taillight lenses.........

P1016533-vi.jpg

Very nice decal sheet with gauge faces! Nice touch and it goes a long way to dressing up the dash!

I didn't take a pic of the glass........doesn't show up well on this camera, but it is of the runner type (rather have separate glass), but you all know how I am about glass, so I may not be using it anyway! :P

Well, that's all there is to this! I can see this turning up on lots and lots of contest tables over the months and years. I'd say this may be the most desired Mustang of all the years made, and it's high time Revell did this one justice! From what I see, they're knockin' 'em dead with these two latest releases!

Keep 'em comin' Revell!

Iam very disappointed about this so called"New Tool"Its a complete repop of the CJ!Even most of the parts for the cj are inside!And it even has the still wrong fascia!Nothing changed!ecxept the added parts for the 302!The front fascia change is not a big deal to correct!like the rear sidewindow!Some 3 hours and a little fiddling and done!Will soon post some pics of the corrections!If iam able to post them  ;)