Model Cars Magazine Forum

'10 Firebird Trans Am - 1/5/19 in color

KWT

Well folks, I have decided it's time to get back in the game...

While studying a Revell '10 Camaro last night, my brain started working overtime... I raced to the shelf and pulled down my '79 Camaro I built a while back and compared it to the '78 Trans Am the paint went all wonky on. Studied the subtle differences... and the not so subtle... Soon I decided I thought I could add a little plastic here and there, and bring to life my own vision of a modern muscle car...

I'm going for subtle here. Added 4 pcs of styrene to the front. Cut down a shaker from a junk bagged '70 trans am that's missing most of the pcs. Cut out the section between the tail lights, making it 2 instead of 4...

2010firebird.jpg.dbd5477bf6167b610fed0a6c8bda7e07.jpg

Still have to smooth out some things, but it's taking shape. Between Jacob, work and Christmas who knows how long this will sit. But regardless, it's a start back to modeling I hope.

Stay tuned...

Edited by KWT

Tom - I had forgotten all about the Jimmy Flintstone body until you mentioned it. I'm definitely going for more of a 77/78 vibe. I'm going to use all the camaro ground effects and spoiler. I was going to graph the vents from the '70 TA into the front fenders and also considered adding T-tops, but believe I've decided against it.

I'm also looking into getting a couple more of these Camaros. Gotta have one for the original build idea, and may try my hands at a Judge or something else..

Edited by KWT

Very interesting and neat conversion!

The other day at work I was talkin' to the day shift guy just before I left for vacation. He's a real car guy and we were talking about the demise of Pontiac and I had told him had they survived, we might have seen a new gen Firebird.

GM's plans for Pontiac was for it to be a very low volume, high performance division. From what I saw of Pontiacs lineup for 2011 and beyond, I do believe that a new Firebird was in the works. What happened was GM was basically told (by the government) that if they wanted the bailout money, they had to get rid of Pontiac (along with Saturn).

GM must have been desperate to get the money, so they ditched Pontiac and the rest is history. :(

I'll be tuned in to see what you do with the conversion! I've always liked Pontiacs as I owned a couple in the past and all I can do is shake my head as to what might have been.

Ok, off my soapbox now...........keep up the good work! B) 

I've seen a couple of shows from the series Trans Am on Motor Trend. I don't like the show but the rides are sweet! https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/camaro/2018/trans-am-super-duty-455-drag-car/

As for the demise of Pontiac, if they hadn't eliminated them with the loan they would certainly be eliminating them now.

30 minutes ago, MeatMan said:

As for the demise of Pontiac, if they hadn't eliminated them with the loan they would certainly be eliminating them now.

Sad but true. I've just about given up on GM coming up with anything new and exciting. That's a whole 'nuther story for another thread. ;)

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

Very interesting and neat conversion!

The other day at work I was talkin' to the day shift guy just before I left for vacation. He's a real car guy and we were talking about the demise of Pontiac and I had told him had they survived, we might have seen a new gen Firebird.

GM's plans for Pontiac was for it to be a very low volume, high performance division. From what I saw of Pontiacs lineup for 2011 and beyond, I do believe that a new Firebird was in the works. What happened was GM was basically told (by the government) that if they wanted the bailout money, they had to get rid of Pontiac (along with Saturn).

GM must have been desperate to get the money, so they ditched Pontiac and the rest is history. :(

I'll be tuned in to see what you do with the conversion! I've always liked Pontiacs as I owned a couple in the past and all I can do is shake my head as to what might have been.

Ok, off my soapbox now...........keep up the good work! B) 

I think the untimely demise of Pontiac came about sometime before the bailout and was a business decision made by GM having more to do with their business in China than anything to do with the bailout. I know this may sound confusing and my thought comes from conversations with our GM Rep. and what I was reading in the trade magazines and papers at the time. I was working for a Buick-Pontiac-GMC Truck franchise at the time. What we were told by some GM people who were not supposed to tell us anything, but did share this little bit off the record, or maybe they just made it up I don't know. Buick was considered a very upscale car in China and people with the where with all were even using them with a hired drivers in China. The problem was that they were selling more Buicks in China than the U.S. and in U.S. buyers were ageing out very fast and either they drop Buick here and that would make the China sales questionable is what they were saying. In this country Pontiac out sold Buick by a substantial number and profit. G.M. in their infinite wisdom killed Pontiac in this country to keep Buick sales in China since what they were saying was that they made more from Buick sales in China than Buick and Pontiac combined here. I find this all hard to believe myself because we had no problem selling Bonneville's / Grand Prix / Grand Am and even the mini van. Buicks were only a very small fraction of our business. So way would G.M. shot themselves in the foot ? I know they have made many other expensive business decisions in the past but this made no other sense then what we were being told "under the table" as the saying goes.     

The part about Buicks in China, from what I saw, was spot on. I taught in our partner institution in Ningbo, China for a month and there were a ton of Buicks (and Volkswagens) on the road. I was sitting on a bus outside of Bejing on a very crowded expressway and I looked down and there was a silver Trans Am sitting right next to us. Also saw a few Bentleys and an Aston Martin. The younger up and comers are all buying cars even though they are very expensive.

Thanks everybody... As I generally build straight out of the box... except for the occasional aftermarket pieces... this is new to me. The fact that it peaked someone's interest other than mine is great!

I've done a little sanding, smoothing and priming over the last few days. Haven't had a lot of time, but I'm happy with how it's starting to look.

2010firebird3.jpg.e89d7c4ae1d43c5244b0f7b643a85584.jpg

2010firebird4.jpg.c2826560934c560d84b45af299ddf043.jpg

2010firebird5.jpg.eda849af2dcc7a9129b45475cd39f15e.jpg

2010firebird6.jpg.530257c4819571ce03f1a97be1306b95.jpg

Still have a ways to go, but it's getting there. I'm hoping in the end, this turns out close to what I'm seeing in my head.

Anyway, Happy New Year! Stay tuned...

The TA is in color... Testors Model Master Black Lacquer

2010firebird7.jpg.5de72a259a9bac6eb9b98a5f81643b4f.jpg

2010firebird8.jpg.f733db3a036087b84404796bc4ca85d8.jpg

Still have to get the decals figured out and decide how I'm going to do the tail lights... but I'm digging this so far. I think I may have to wheels I'm going to use thanks to Forward Resin (Thanks Casey). I just have to figure out how to make them fit the tires and get them attached to the chassis.

Thanks guys!

On 1/6/2019 at 4:58 PM, kelson said:

I think red decals would look really sharp on this.:)

I'm going back and forth right now between silver, blue or the standard gold.. I know it's overdone, but it's so sexy...

• 6 months later...