Model Cars Magazine Forum

OK, I'm never building anything ever again.

Absolutely amazing! I had seen this last night and I was so impressed, I went back and downloaded the video. LOTS of neat things to pick up on here and there!

You all think I'm nutso with working stuff.........it doesn't come close to literally building this truck out of practically thin air! :o

Amazing! One of my favorite things about that video is the use of a mouthwash container to make the taillights. Brilliant. Whenever I try to be clever like that, I find the object is just slightly the wrong size and won't actually work.

The other thing I like about it is the management of proportion and detail--it's handcrafted in appearance close-up, but at a distance 100% convincing. It looks realistic, but a bunch of the highlights and shadows have been painted on, to emulate the way light would hit a 1:1 scale truck. The panel gaps are going to be a little chunky, just based on the construction method, but the overall scale of the truck keeps them acceptable.  It's a collection of carefully managed illusions, in the best model-making tradition, and the end result is fantastic!

If you want to see more awesome scale trucks in this vein, search "Headquake" on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Dvap18PLc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHQViUBgF5k&t=161s

Edited by Spex84

Masterful combination of traditional and computer-aided modeling techniques. Very inspiring.

What isn't shown, however, is the very large amount of engineering and design work that had to occur prior to making any parts, and the trial and error that was surely required to verify parts fit, function, and procedures.

There's almost as much scale-engineering in this as there is in building a full scale vehicle. Still inspiring, but not an easy project, by any means...and one that would take a lot of hard-fought skill development as well as raw talent.

And you'll need a cat.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

6 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Masterful combination of traditional and computer-aided modeling techniques. Very inspiring.

What isn't shown, however, is the very large amount of engineering and design work that had to occur prior to making any parts, and the trial and error that was surely required to verify parts fit, function, and procedures.

There's almost as much scale-engineering in this as there is in building a full scale vehicle. Still inspiring, but not an easy project, by any means...and one that would take a lot of hard-fought skill development as well as raw talent.

And you'll need a cat.

I agree. That is a whole 'nother level.

I watched the second video first, it was the longer of the two, and half way through was wondering when it would get to model stuff.  Then at the end I thought the video trickery was kind of neat. Then I started watching the first one and was wondering why you posted such a crappy link.  My brain eventually figured out what was going on, but it took a while.

That is some amazing work. I would love to be able to biuld even half as good as he can.

Im just going to point this out that the truck he biult is actually a 62-64 and it look like it was biult as a 4x4 which is a W series not a D series. 

this is how a 1961 dodge grill looks. 

14630250-DD90-4787-B103-B94BD40ADB4A.png.36241a1a3ebe7296d362d8f5e4c6a697.png   

This is how the 1962-64 grill looks. Which is how the grill looks on his model. 3BF56D6F-59D0-44F7-A1C5-FC2F1ECB3675.png.5e813abb842d1c88c629c9069fa0440a.png

49 minutes ago, 426 pack said:

That is some amazing work. I would love to be able to biuld even half as good as he can.

Im just going to point this out that the truck he biult is actually a 62-64 and it look like it was biult as a 4x4 which is a W series not a D series. 

this is how a 1961 dodge grill looks. 

14630250-DD90-4787-B103-B94BD40ADB4A.png.36241a1a3ebe7296d362d8f5e4c6a697.png   

This is how the 1962-64 grill looks. Which is how the grill looks on his model. 3BF56D6F-59D0-44F7-A1C5-FC2F1ECB3675.png.5e813abb842d1c88c629c9069fa0440a.png

You are correct, but to be fair, I don't think this guy lives in, or has every been to the USA. I think all his info is through the WWW. This is in no way a put down, I think he did a great job and I think most of use would have missed those minor details also. 

I love how he use the aluminum to create dented panels. 

1 hour ago, Oldmopars said:

I was impressed with his building. What was the "styrene"he used, it seemed to cut really easy?

I think it might have been craft foam! Same stuff costume builders use to make armor, weapons, etc....not sure though.

Whoops, the video lists the materials in the description:

Materials used: Evergreen styrene — 0,5–2 mm (.020–.080 in)
Komacel — 2–4 mm (.080–.160 in)
K&S Aluminum foil 0,13 mm (.005 in)
Aluminum foil tape
Epoxy putty
Acrylic paint
Modern Masters Iron paint and Rust activator
Styrene rods
Artificial leather
Plywood
The cab is modeled in Blender and printed of polyamide

//so the stuff you're curious about is "Komacell" which a brief search tells me is a little like Sintra.

Edited by Spex84

13 hours ago, Spex84 said:

I think it might have been craft foam! Same stuff costume builders use to make armor, weapons, etc....not sure though.

Whoops, the video lists the materials in the description:

Materials used: Evergreen styrene — 0,5–2 mm (.020–.080 in)
Komacel — 2–4 mm (.080–.160 in)
K&S Aluminum foil 0,13 mm (.005 in)
Aluminum foil tape
Epoxy putty
Acrylic paint
Modern Masters Iron paint and Rust activator
Styrene rods
Artificial leather
Plywood
The cab is modeled in Blender and printed of polyamide

//so the stuff you're curious about is "Komacell" which a brief search tells me is a little like Sintra.

Excellent, I may have to try to get some of that. Will come in handy.