Model Cars Magazine Forum

GT3's abound

Peter Lombardo

When Tamiya introduced the AMG GT3 race car I knew I would have to get one, after building it as the kit intended, I got 5 more.  Then Platz introduced the BMW M6 GT3, I built one, and then got 5 more of that one too.  Below are 4 versions of each car.  I have 2 more of each in the Que.  The AMG in the "Watch" version, IWC #50 (dull charcoal) and in the HTP Motorsport Mann Filter #84 (yellow with green trim) both decal sets from Slotfabrik of Germany.  The remaining BMW livery's are the Falken blue and green car just released, and the Sepang 2017 Fiste #90 car with decals from Slotfabrik.   First up, the AMG's

xNQcPhtw5iGU35snQ5Tl0m_PZYgkhOgtYAIpvOHjAKdNwzEDcA-rechfDv4IDlP3XMd3-KaHdFGdWF-7CbYt8G5aT6xfWscFqfgTZ4z2E_-F0J6f7ngFjmhoYEfVzLq2gEZ4x_EJdyvIR9uYmXUYNlLFFp2K5B_MDIBdK5FjRZ5rUu8TJMq-mib04e0mMXIBsodn49tSyOgpiTQtN0sFXaJLV5PVLeExPzHeX3AeqxU8R3Z-  Now the BMW M6'sgFhwNnFrWRJ1rk-j2wQibg3cTwgchRwTA2btbpIN3e1Ozs1MsiApIm72BOJ_I9P5iUN3FUUdXjvnFNh1GSEbnPcKGUULapoz_3FkvzSGMoPhKi5nBfpaaWjZSzoiW96qZEK34e6p-aWJwPFy6ZzHSEzej8w-tnVFY7srwBTjQJYtkSGd_7yG5gyl_NyRK9WbE2e19ZjrnIAFxcn4bKSyv6ewogrpHFBqLUOXRvzOXKTBKyVwbIUf0Kh0YE5940fj8woarizZfRPE_QZXHYmZ4tXmsUnKoWGQuGHkdPtjYFzejCyhbezvaJ3pIcZ-nr2e

4 hours ago, PatW said:

Superb! We have in the UK a similar M6 kit by a new manufacturer called NuNu!

NuNu is the same as Platz.... same kit.  I actual have that kit, the only difference is the new version includes the front tender louvers as a separate part.  On the cars I built, I had to make the louvers on a few of them.  It is not quite as well engineered as the Tamiya kits are, but still pretty good.

1 hour ago, PatW said:

Superb! We have in the UK a similar M6 kit by a new manufacturer called NuNu!

3 minutes ago, Peter Lombardo said:

NuNu is the same as Platz.... same kit.  I actual have that kit, the only difference is the new version includes the front tender louvers as a separate part.  On the cars I built, I had to make the louvers on a few of them.  It is not quite as well engineered as the Tamiya kits are, but still pretty good.

Platz just footed the bill and distributes the kit.  NuNu "makes" it, but is in fact a separate operating arm of Beemax - ergo the references to the BMW licensing being from Beemax on the box lids.

This is a very nice set of builds, and I commend you for pistol whipping those SlotFabrik decals into something presentable.

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

Platz just footed the bill and distributes the kit.  NuNu "makes" it, but is in fact a separate operating arm of Beemax - ergo the references to the BMW licensing being from Beemax on the box lids.

This is a very nice set of builds, and I commend you for pistol whipping those SlotFabrik decals into something presentable.

Yes, you are correct about the triumphant of businesses involved with the M6, but by either name, it is a worthwhile kit..... as for the Slotfabrik decals you are exactly right about the difficulty in applying them.  They are designed for use on slot cars which take a beating, so they are rather thick and unresponsive to the usual decal solvents.  They require a heavy dose of the hair dryer heat and still they fight you.  Further because the coating on the decals is sprayed on the entire decal sheet, you must trim them very close to the ink making the small or intricate decals a real pain.  These decals are not for the inexperienced or "quickly disheartened" builder.  As the decal comes off the paper to be applied it has a tendency to curl up on itself so extra care must be taken.  I nearly gave up on a number of them, but finally man-handled them into place.  Further, because no information is supplied with the decals as to the placement or the version of the race car, you need to do extensive internet searching for find photos from all the angles of each car.   But as difficult as these decals are, they make a huge selection of race cars and liveries, so if you want a stable of different cars, they are the go-to supplier.  The blue "Black Falcon" AMG car here used Studio 27 decals, and applying them was like taking a vacation on the beach after the struggles with the other cars.  Glad you guys like the builds.... I still have 4 more, 2 of each, to get done.

3 hours ago, Peter Lombardo said:

Cheers Peter.

8 hours ago, Peter Lombardo said:

Yes, you are correct about the triumphant of businesses involved with the M6, but by either name, it is a worthwhile kit..... as for the Slotfabrik decals you are exactly right about the difficulty in applying them.  They are designed for use on slot cars which take a beating, so they are rather thick and unresponsive to the usual decal solvents.  They require a heavy dose of the hair dryer heat and still they fight you.  Further because the coating on the decals is sprayed on the entire decal sheet, you must trim them very close to the ink making the small or intricate decals a real pain.  These decals are not for the inexperienced or "quickly disheartened" builder.  As the decal comes off the paper to be applied it has a tendency to curl up on itself so extra care must be taken.  I nearly gave up on a number of them, but finally man-handled them into place.  Further, because no information is supplied with the decals as to the placement or the version of the race car, you need to do extensive internet searching for find photos from all the angles of each car.   But as difficult as these decals are, they make a huge selection of race cars and liveries, so if you want a stable of different cars, they are the go-to supplier.  The blue "Black Falcon" AMG car here used Studio 27 decals, and applying them was like taking a vacation on the beach after the struggles with the other cars.  Glad you guys like the builds.... I still have 4 more, 2 of each, to get done.

I've been working with S.K. Decals to get some commercial grade silk screen decals done of some of the more remarkable liveries.  This month Battlefield 1 and IWC Watches liveries were released to anyone interesting in those who haven't already built them.

The other bug-a-boo to me about Slotfabrik is that they are just created on what seems like a whim sometimes with very little eye given to the accuracy of any given livery.  To his credit he will go back and fix things if you notice errors, but for decals that cost more than anything else out there when you factor in shipping to the U.S. they shouldn't be so hard to work with, and then need constant "updating" to make them correct.

I have 13 of the AMGs and 5 of the M6s, but no time to build any of them... :( 

Sorry for taking this a bit off topic.  I ordered the BMW kit, in part inspired by Peter's work.  (Your fault Peter! :) )   I'd like to do the 2017 Petit Le Mans winning car. That was the last race for the M6 in IMSA GTLM before switching to the M8.  The livery is not that complex compared to other previous races.  Amy idea if somebody offers these decals?  I may consider masking and painting the bulk of the red/dark blue/light blue  but that may take 2 eternities for me to complete.

BMW-RLL-Petit-Le-Mans-06-830x553.jpg

Thanks,