Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 CBR - the Vannonball Run!

Jantrix

image.png.900da944913df9aff4206effd127909a.png

Here we are again folks, at the start of a brand new year and of our 12th (!!!) Cannonball Run Community Build Project. I continue to be impressed by the dedication of our builders, year after year.

Our theme this year is VANS! Your build must feature a vehicle that is a van or a panel truck. It must be built as a vehicle that could race from coast to coast.

Please note: a sedan delivery is NOT the same thing as a panel truck. A sedan delivery is based on a passenger car body/chassis and a panel truck is based upon a pick-up truck body/chassis. Many kits that are not vans, call themselves vans on the box. That will not make them allowable. Please do your research on the kit you choose. Also, the cargo area and the cab are usually the same space in a van, though the partial bulkhead behind the seats of a step van doesn’t disqualify it as a van. The body is all one piece. A truck with a topper doesn’t qualify. However, if you were to seamlessly mold the topper to the cab and bed, and make them one space inside, you would have effectively created a phantom panel truck, which would be legal, assuming it is a full size truck. Please don’t try this with a little Chevy Luv, topper or not, no one would call that a van.

Now his might seem like a very limited field of available kits. It is, until you factor in the aftermarket (resin) like Jimmy Flintstones ’66 Chevy panel truck, show rods like the Vandal (though the Vandal will need some tweaking to be legal) and the Baja Beast, and the myriad offerings from Aoshima, Fujimi, Hasegawa and Italeri.

The rules:

-  Your build must feature a vehicle that is a van or a panel truck. It must be built as a vehicle that could race from coast to coast.

-  The build can be either a new or started kit up to 25% complete. A rebuilder or parts box special is okay too. 1/24 or 1/25. If you absolutely must do a 1/20 model we’ll likely bend the rules as we have before, but that’s the limit.

-  If you have a previously started racer from a previous running of the Cannonball (SA or MCM) 50% complete or less, they are eligible to run this year as long as they meet the theme requirement. All of our previous runs are still available on either of the two forums. If you are going to do this, please be certain it was involved in a previous run.

-  Before starting please post a photo of your kit(s) or pile o’ parts. No limitation on technology used.

-  Note: vans are not the best for displaying engine work. Unlike previous runs, a kit without an engine, like some Asian kits tend to be, is permissible.

-  The car must appear to be street legal. Headlights, tail lights, license plate etc.

Optional - Just like we did for the Brock Yates Memorial Run, a couple years back, if you’d like to add some sort of detail to your build to honor the late Burt Reynolds that would be a cool idea.

As always, have fun and watch out for two priests in a red Ferrari.

That’s it for rules. The following is just FYI.

- You may start a separate build thread for your build if you wish, but please keep the CBP thread updated. Your work will help inspire others. 

- The car can be as eye catching or non-descript as you wish. Bright colors and/or racing livery will make you more noticeable to local law enforcement, but that’s your problem.

- Build time begins on January 1st, 2019, local time and ends at 11:59PM on December 1st, 2019, local time. That’s 11 months folks.

- After the finish, we will create a poll and we’ll have the “race”, a public vote.

- A few weeks prior I’ll start a completed builds thread, for posting up your work and we’ll work the poll from that thread. Take some GOOD PHOTOS! I cannot emphasize this enough, good photos are essential. No one has won this with crappy photos in poor lighting.

- You may build as many models as you wish for this CBP but only one can be entered in the public voting poll after Dec. 2.

- You can enter this CBP at any time up to 48 hours before the end date.

Edited by Jantrix

Our roster of the most distinguished group of highway scofflaws and degenerates ever gathered together in one place.

Jantrix - '37 Ford Panel Truck

Landman - '37 Ford Panel Truck

Camaro69 - 55 Ford Panel Truck

Rusty92 - 72 Chevy G30

LouO - A-Team GMC Van

426Pack - Ford Phantom Van

Fat Brian - VW Van

Pat Minarick - Brute Force Chevy Van

Edited by Jantrix

7 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

Our roster of the most distinguished group of highway scofflaws and degenerates ever gathered together in one place.

Jantrix - '37 Ford Panel Truck

Rob, put me down for the same thing.

IMG_8226.jpg

Edited by landman

3 hours ago, Jantrix said:

The rules:

-  The build can be either a new or started kit up to 25% complete.

Here is my entry (first time ever)... the 1/24 scale ´55 Ford Panel Truck from Revell. Already started (some bodywork) but I would call him at maximum 5% complete...:D

DSC_0001.JPG.10ae2052748965b49c0f12fb458024e5.JPG

Scaleproduction 19" BBS LM wheels with 3d printed Good Year Eagle F1 tires, VW and Audi laquer, 3d printed ´53 grille, resin casted seat.

There will be two seats but I have to give the first one the right pattern before casting again.

DSC_0002.JPG.b2fa41eed22dc5882b09a963e1d6a621.JPG

2005 Shelby GT500 engine parts from a gluebomb I found on eBay...

DSC_0003.JPG.775f8814b88109e63200b7f77a322e36.JPG

Hood from the ´56 Chip Foose PickUp...

DSC_0004.JPG.012770901f8da43963faa5ff8acfea88.JPG

Happy building for all...

Best, Rico

Edited by camaro69

I would like to join in with what I will call a parts box special.

The van is a amt phantom van that I painted for a different project, the motor is a 460 from an old revell Ford 91 dually biuld that I had, a blower from the revell mongoose rail dragster, tires are from a snap-tite monster truck, axles are from a big rig and I will scratch biuld all of the suspension. A173E297-BC5E-41A8-BA89-32F24B2C4E55.thumb.jpeg.4b3a300ef5d930f8f23415ca13711826.jpeg

Here is a mock-up pic 

C1FF6373-0B83-491F-989B-35466501D8A7.thumb.jpeg.3e870668c98267eabb4448464c7d26ba.jpeg

I don’t know how street legal a monster truck is but Bigfoot was in Cannonball Run 2. But if you guys don’t think a monster truck is allowed just let me know and I will do something different. 

Edited by 426 pack

8 minutes ago, 426 pack said:

I don’t know how street legal a monster truck is but Bigfoot was in Cannonball Run 2. But if you guys don’t think a monster truck is allowed just let me know and I will do something different. 

Most monster trucks are wider than the average travel lane. So there's that. But, we're building street legal race cars here. It must be built as something that could race from coast to coast. If you want to build the model this way, I'm not going to say no, but I've my doubts a monster truck could make it out of town, much less, cross country.

2 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Most monster trucks are wider than the average travel lane. So there's that. But, we're building street legal race cars here. It must be built as something that could race from coast to coast. If you want to build the model this way, I'm not going to say no, but I've my doubts a monster truck could make it out of town, much less, cross country.

Ok I will think of something different. But put me down for the Ford phantom van as it is the only van in my collection. 

Continuing on my VW theme I'll be building Revells California Roller VW van. This kit seems to be dripping with classic Revell fiddliness with all the opening doors and multi piece body. I've got a resin Porsche engine on the way which may require a mid engine conversion, I'll know more once it gets here. You can't get these vans very low due to the tires being under the door so I'll most likely end up keeping the high riding 70's stance to avoid major surgery. One thing I'd love to find is a normal VW emblem for the front, if anyone has the Tamiya or Revell van kits and can tell me if it has a separate emblem I would appreciate it.

20181226_184605.jpg

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

Continuing on my VW theme I'll be building Revells California Roller VW van. This kit seems to be dripping with classic Revell fiddliness with all the opening doors and multi piece body. I've got a resin Porsche engine on the way which may require a mid engine conversion, I'll know more once it gets here. You can't get these vans very low due to the tires being under the door so I'll most likely end up keeping the high riding 70's stance to avoid major surgery. One thing I'd love to find is a normal VW emblem for the front, if anyone has the Tamiya or Revell van kits and can tell me if it has a separate emblem I would appreciate it.

20181226_184605.jpg

Looks like a challenge! Those old Revell kits are a lot of fun though.

1 hour ago, Rusty92 said:

Looks like a challenge! Those old Revell kits are a lot of fun though.

I've already decided the instructions are my enemy for this one. I'm going to try to assemble the whole body as a unit and then drop it over the completed frame and interior. There isn't a good way to follow the instructions with a painted body.

This is what I plan on doing for my 4wd conversion. I've never seen a V-Drive system in person, they are so different and unique that I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to build it. It is estimated that 1600 Ford/GM vans received this treatment from the factory. It certainly is crazy looking, but the science behind it is neat.:D I'll also be giving mine a news van style livery. So that maybe it will fly a little under the radar to the local authorities. But I have some other ideas also if that one doesn't pan out.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/cc-outtake-1980-dana-v-drive-4wd-gmc-school-van-a-rarity-indeed/ 

The link above has more photos and info for those interested. 

V-Drive01.jpg

2 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

It is estimated that 1600 Ford/GM vans received this treatment from the factory. It certainly is crazy looking, but the science behind it is neat.:D

I've never heard of such a thing. Looks kind of over-engineered to me, but it must have been born out of a need.

On 12/26/2018 at 2:49 PM, 426 pack said:

Ok I will think of something different. But put me down for the Ford phantom van as it is the only van in my collection. 

Can I assume that the paint will be changed? Because I do not find the current motif humorous or appropriate.

On 12/27/2018 at 12:13 PM, Lunajammer said:

I've never heard of such a thing. Looks kind of over-engineered to me, but it must have been born out of a need.

They say it rode like a car instead of a truck so it was a nice comfy ride in a conversion van. Supposedly they are pretty durable also!

OK, I'm in again this year.

My plan, been gathering parts for about a month, is a 4X4 Chevy G30. This will be a "Ultimate Adventure" off road camper van. I plan for a real 70's vibe as far as the colors and interior style.

Parts included are the AMT Rescue Van.

B-N-L Resins Dana 60 front and rear, HD transfer case, and front bumper with winch.

Scenes Unlimited M41 8 Lug stock Chevy truck wheels with Warn Hubs, and T51 16" Snow Lugger tires.

Odds and ends for a couple Chevy truck kits.

At this point I am not too sure if I will leave the wheels just as steelies, or if I will drill out the stock hub caps from the kit and use them for a more "Factory" look.

And Yes it will get a high roof too. Still working on getting that nailed down.

IMG_0351 copy.JPG

Edited by Oldmopars