Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 CBR - the Vannonball Run!

Jantrix

I started my AMTronic build. It can be found here.

I hope it's Ok to put a link instead of posting progress here. Every time I update the build I will put a link in this post.

Edited by DPNM

I've already asked a Mod to move it. If it's not, I will do that. Then again, I figure if it's moved here it might be less likely to be seen. That is probably a good thing.

Edited by DPNM

1 hour ago, DPNM said:

Then again, I figure if it's moved here it might be less likely to be seen. That is probably a good thing.

On the contrary. For me, these are the kinds of outside-the-box builds that really get me jazzed. I'm quite looking forward to watching what you do with it. 

Still messing around with the Ultimate Adventure Van. I am adding details to the exterior that a camper would have. Things like the vent and door for the fridge, water heater, water fill port, power cable inlet, heater door and a few other details. I will be adding an awning too. 

All the extra doors and fittings get painted body color, then a few will get a silver trim around them and some decals. I am going for something like the picture of the rear thing.

1989-Chevrolet-Falcon-4x4-Van.jpg

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0389.JPG

I did not like that there is no real interior other than seats and dash. There are no door panels. So, I scratched up some basic door panels. I also added some details to the side. I was not happy with the one door with the vent, so I added some slats and then I made the door for the heater. I will add window crank and door handle later, after paint.

Time to cut the side window out.

IMG_0391.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

Ok, so another thing about these vans started to bother me as I looked at the pictures. I could not help but notice that the body line right below the drip rail is completely missing. Also, the rip rail is barely there at all. So I found pictures of the early 70's G10's and from day one they had the body line below the drip rail. So, I had to add it back in and at the same time I added to the drip rail. A little putty, a little sanding and she will be looking better. I also scribed the missing fender seam at the front edge of the door. Still need to do the one at the top of the fender. Still not sure if the hood is coming off or not.

I then cut out the side window. I am getting close to shooting this thing with primer. I am glad I will be going with a 70's medium brown, the red has been a little hard to cover so far on the roof.

Capture.JPG

IMG_0392.JPG

IMG_0393.JPG

Edited by Oldmopars

24 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

Ok, so another thing about these vans started to bother me as I looked at the pictures. I could not help but notice that the body line right below the drip rail is completely missing. Also, the rip rail is barely there at all

This is something that has bothered me as well on this model. I am doing the interior now but have already started on correcting the drip rails and body line. If you look on the sliding side door, it does have the body line for some reason, but no where else has it. Frustrating. My kit has a drip rail that is very visible at some spots and others it is non-existent. My rocker panel on the passenger side is also kind of wavy. 

I'll post updates tonight hopefully. I've been mostly working on the interior (going to be very bare bones) and the frame modifications.

I made some progress on the interior. I wanted it to have a full interior with a bathroom in the rear, so I made an enclosed toilet. I found a portal window in the kit and it is the perfect size and shape for a little camper sink. I still need to make a faucet. The stove will be in the closed position and so I covered it with some BMF. All the doors with get handles and trim, and the fridge, the square cornered one, will get a rim of BMF around the outside. All the other doors are round cornered like the Westy's from the 60-80's. 

Things are still a little rough and need some finish sanding, but it is getting there. 

IMG_0397.jpeg

IMG_0398.jpeg

IMG_0399.jpeg

On 12/31/2018 at 11:39 PM, disconovaman said:

SNL is the best! I thought it was hilarious when I seen your van! There is the guy in Canada on YouTube He says "Yeah Bud" alot and Curses funny as Hell... my son follows him on there He has the exact van you're building only it's red says free candy on the side too! 

Well, I thought it was funny too.  But then again I never had any kids and caught hell about 30 years ago for teaching my five-year-old nephew how to operate a Bic lighter.

On 1/7/2019 at 1:58 PM, DPNM said:

One last thing, and I'm sorry for rambling. I think the best use of this kit would be as a boat. Allison engine anyone?

How about a boat ANCHOR? LOL

Check out this dude who had to give up on the Amtronic because the kit was missing so many parts.

13 hours ago, RipVan said:

Check out this dude who had to give up on the Amtronic because the kit was missing so many parts.

I got no audio from the video so it's hard for me to say it failed because of missing parts. I notice the builder is using tube glue so, not to be mean, I wonder how advanced his building skills are? His reason for quitting may be more related to my pic. Very poor fitment. Bear in mind that I had to sand some of the right side OFF to get it to fit this well.
Can you say gap? One order of Bondo please. No, make that a double, the other side isn't any better.

I have been working on it some but not enough for a decent update. I hope to be further in the next couple days. My job gets in the way.

amtronic.jpg

Well...it seems my headphones were plugged into my CD player and not the computer (who's the dumb guy now Jim, hmmm?).

I listened to it and he does call himself an amateur modeller. I'll give him that. It could be my bad but I didn't verify all the pieces before I started either. I didn't notice any missing pieces from the trees except for one wheel which I knew was missing (I got this kit as part of a trade with a member here). I do know I will have a lot of it's parts left over.

Depending on when this video was made he may have been able to get the missing parts from AMT, if the kit was unopened when he got it.

My headphones are once again plugged into my CD player. Modelling music coming up. Pink Floyd, Metallica, Billy Idol plus anything else I think may motivate me.

Edited by DPNM

5 hours ago, Ryansrust6 said:

Hey y’all my entry is the hasegawa 23 window. Lowered it a bit I’ve gotta figure out the motor situation since this kit is quite skimpy in parts but the body is nice so anyway here ya go thanks for looking Ryan 

I didn't realize that kit had a small parts count, but it sure looks cool. I like low parts count kits because I like to hack and whack and there are fewer headaches when I'm not trying to make a hundred more parts conform to my alterations.