Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 CBR - the Vannonball Run!

Jantrix

3 minutes ago, landman said:

I'll let it harden and use low tack tape.

I’m sure you know the trick, but if you take the tape and stick it on another clean surface first it will reduce its tack. That’s what I do if I have to tape over a nice paint job. It’s always worked for me!

Hoping to get some bench time this weekend. Since classes have began it has been crazy. They said my Masters would be worth it though...:rolleyes:

Side note: anyone know a place who prints quality water slide decals? Custom ones that is.. or if someone would be willing to help me out, I wouldn’t mind helping them out!

50 minutes ago, Rusty92 said:

Side note: anyone know a place who prints quality water slide decals? Custom ones that is.. or if someone would be willing to help me out

I might be able to help. I print on clear decal paper mostly... but my printer doesn't print white ink. let me know what you are thinking about and I'll see if I can help... send me a pic of the image if you can... here are some decals I printed recently.

Screenshot_20190127-133013.png

On 2/6/2019 at 7:14 PM, landman said:

The masking tape took some of the primer with it. Now I am scared of masking the bottom half.:(

I feel your pain! I'm having the same issue. I washed the Westfalia before and after cleaning up mold marks and then primed it in white. When I masked to paint the window trim, guess what? The primer peeled off.

On 2/6/2019 at 7:58 PM, Rusty92 said:

Side note: anyone know a place who prints quality water slide decals? Custom ones that is.. or if someone would be willing to help me out, I wouldn’t mind helping them out!

If you don't find anyone to do them, try Kenny Terry Decals on Facebook. I had him do some Porsche decals for me and they came out really well. I think it was less than $20 for them.

porschedecals.PNG

Progress has been slow but tonight I came close to finalizing the cross member and coil spring mounts on the frame. Narrowed the Dana 30s a bit more. The interior is a bit bland. I plan on adding a projector so the co pilot can look at traffic updates and other news on a big screen on one side of the van. A cot, and probably a small fridge for food. Since this is a news van I plan on disguising some proprietary radar equipment on top as broadcasting equipment! 

The biggest win here is: it will sit at about what a stock V-Drive equipped van would have. A huge victory for me as I wanted this to look stock! I’m hoping to have the front end done this next weekend.

422A7808-286D-4DC7-8CA4-94C3526BCCF7.thumb.jpeg.a20cc87c6b3fe237920356de052dc826.jpegC3CDB13C-8B09-49CA-AADC-9C74F4345DB8.thumb.jpeg.971424ee655b511d96c77376e93c98e7.jpegEF53D0F8-F507-4937-A329-CA5D1399783C.thumb.jpeg.b3d0fff12ee7373f701b328a4bee2ea9.jpeg