Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 CBR - the Vannonball Run!

Jantrix

2 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Jimmy Flintstone is casting the small Chevy van from the 60's. I had a look at AutoRama in Detroit, it looks good. Should be on his site soon if not already. He had 4 there and 1 guy bought them all. 

I have the 60's Ford van he sells.  Almost went with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking good folks.  Some nice work.

I will be joining in.  Usually by now i've decided what i'm entering, collected the parts and made an enthusiastic start before putting it aside until much later in the year.  However, this year I haven't been able to decide what to build so i've done nothing yet.

I finally got time to do a little on my Cannonball entry. The decalling made me not want to touch it for a while, but I got that done. I've been working 60 hour weeks for the last few months plus an hour commute each way so I've been mostly laying around on the weekends. However, I have done a little more and I've worked a few hours on other projects. Then last week we went on vacation and did a Mini-Cannonball, 3890 miles in 7 1/2 days. We went from Austin to San Francisco and back with stops in Reno, Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and Roswell. At least I brought the appropriate reading material!

cannonballbook.PNG

• 1 month later...

I don't usually toot my own horn when I win something, but I thought you guys might like to tsee this. Before the window nets and the decals this Studebaker was my Cannonball racer several years ago. Sunday it won fourth in Competition- Circle Track & Road Course at GSL27. With the level of work that was there, I'm pretty stoked with fourth. It's a Le Carrera Panamericana racer. 

33919151178_fb16ecbb67_z.jpg

Even after being distracted by the Porsche tractors that I bought this weekend, I made a little progress on the Vanagon. I got the decals finished and printed and got them on the van. For the interior, I got some of the electronics and surveillance package designed. I've also come up with some wheels and tires. Anyone know of a source for 1/24th radar detectors? I found some on eBay but the supplier doesn't accept payment for some reason.

ModelsCannonballProgressDecals.jpg

1 hour ago, oldcarfan said:

Even after being distracted by the Porsche tractors that I bought this weekend, I made a little progress on the Vanagon. I got the decals finished and printed and got them on the van. For the interior, I got some of the electronics and surveillance package designed. I've also come up with some wheels and tires. Anyone know of a source for 1/24th radar detectors? I found some on eBay but the supplier doesn't accept payment for some reason.

ModelsCannonballProgressDecals.jpg

Looking great! I was going to scratch build mine and use some stuff from other kits to make a makeshift computer. 

2 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

I raided a couple of old cop car models for some of the electronics. I think the Snap kit of the cop Ford Explorer has a really nice laptop if I remember right. The Revell GMC truck with the snow plow has a decent CB radio and antenna.