Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 CBR - the Vannonball Run!

Jantrix

I've hit a bit of a snag on the AMTronic model I have been working on. I joined this CBP way back at the beginning. I've worked on it off and on. It has frustrated me. I had cut a good portion of the back half out to shorten it. Since then I've found that I really need to glue the pieces together so I can work on it but I can't as then I will not be able to do anything on the interior, like spray paint it or add any details, which I had planned to do.

Here's my dilemma, I got the box out to work on it today, I like abuse I guess. Come to find out I have misplaced the bottom section of the rear. I have searched for it, and so far, I can not find it. I've searched in it's boxes, the boxes of other models I have started and around various areas of the house. I keep a waste basket beside my build desk, it may have fallen in there without me knowing. That was about three empty's ago.

I think I have til the end of the year to finish this, correct? I'm gonna look for another kit at a reasonable price and I do plan to get it done. I will not be shortening it this time though, it may go a little easier.

16 hours ago, DPNM said:

I think I have til the end of the year to finish this, correct? I'm gonna look for another kit at a reasonable price and I do plan to get it done. I will not be shortening it this time though, it may go a little easier.

Correct. This build off runs until December 1st. Good luck finding a second kit. 

Guys, I just don't think I'm gonna be participating this year. One, I'm seriously busy at work and at home. And two, and my interest in the theme this year is very low. I'll continue to moderate and cheer you guys on, but likely no plastic from me. We'll see what next year brings.

11 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Good luck finding a second kit. 

I found one for a decent price on feeBay. Hope to have it by the end of the week. I will be redesigning from my original idea.

On 5/14/2019 at 5:22 PM, DPNM said:

I've hit a bit of a snag on the AMTronic model I have been working on. I joined this CBP way back at the beginning. I've worked on it off and on. It has frustrated me. I had cut a good portion of the back half out to shorten it. Since then I've found that I really need to glue the pieces together so I can work on it but I can't as then I will not be able to do anything on the interior, like spray paint it or add any details, which I had planned to do.

Here's my dilemma, I got the box out to work on it today, I like abuse I guess. Come to find out I have misplaced the bottom section of the rear. I have searched for it, and so far, I can not find it. I've searched in it's boxes, the boxes of other models I have started and around various areas of the house. I keep a waste basket beside my build desk, it may have fallen in there without me knowing. That was about three empty's ago.

Sad to hear your predicament. I wonder how many of us have had something just disappear like that. 

4 hours ago, landman said:

Sad to hear your predicament. I wonder how many of us have had something just disappear like that. 

This was on my porch yesterday. I coulda put it in "What did you get today?" but I'd prefer most people don't know. I doubt that very many forum members have one, or have even heard of this kit. It is a good one to avoid if at all possible. Now I pretty much have two:wacko:.

amtronic.jpg

8 hours ago, DPNM said:

This was on my porch yesterday. I coulda put it in "What did you get today?" but I'd prefer most people don't know.

amtronic.jpg

Well I’m glad you got another one. Shouldn’t matter if they care or not. I am excited to see your build. 

32 minutes ago, Rusty92 said:

Shouldn’t matter if they care or not.

It's not that it matters if people care, it's more that I was embarrassed to own the first one :lol:.

I'm going to give it my best shot. I will be modifying my original idea. 

37 minutes ago, Rusty92 said:

I am excited to see your build. 

Thank you for the nudge forward Jacob.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I really have to apologize for being an absentee moderator for this build off. Things have been so busy on the farm lately that I haven't touched my model bench in a month or more. I'm usually much better at staying engaged and keeping people motivated and interested. It's just a bad year for modeling on the Mattis homestead. Also, I'm thinking that despite all the initial interest, the van theme has not been popular.

From now on we'll decide the theme like we have the last few years, rather than making an executive decision. My apologies.

Hi Rob,

I don´t think that the theme isn´t popular. Maybe there are some other modelers (including me!) who doesn´t have any bench time too.

For my part I want to build my 55 Ford Panel but didn´t have any time yet. I really hope the second half of the year becomes better.

Greets, Rico

On 5/28/2019 at 1:55 PM, Jantrix said:

Also, I'm thinking that despite all the initial interest, the van theme has not been popular.

From now on we'll decide the theme like we have the last few years, rather than making an executive decision. My apologies.

Hey Rob, as far as I'm concerned you have nothing to apologize for. If this build wasn't van themed I doubt that I would have gotten involved. I had the AMTronic kit that I would probably have never done anything with. It seems "van-ish" to me so that's why I signed up. A part of it did vanish but oh well... Actually, I think I've found a better plan.

As to your not being able to join in as you would like, life does have a way of changing ones plans. You have more important priorities to tend to. It happens. I hope things go well for you and yours.

I do not think the theme was bad at all, I love the idea. I have been so busy with a 1:1 motorcycle build, riding, working and the B.R.B.O in the truck section, that my Van has been a little neglected. I did get some paint on it, but that is about it.

As I said before, progress has been slow. The B.R.B.O. in the truck area is keeping me busy. I am doing a tuck, trailer and Dozer to be done by month end.

Anyway, I did get some color on the van From the beginning I have wanted this to look like a 70's van. So, the colors I chose are right on for the look I wanted. I have some orange,yellow, brown stripes from a 70's Dodge Ramcharger that will go on to finish the 70's look. 

I have a long way to go, and a short time to get there. But here it is for now. As you can see in the pictures, I have a few buggers to final sand out of the paint. I need to wait till it has dried for about a week before I do anything about those. This paint has to be really dry before I play with it. I learned the hard way.

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars

• 2 weeks later...

Man o' man you gents have my attention!  I'm a HUGE van fan! Wish I could throw my hat in the ring but sadly funds do not allow. I'm coming up on a year of not working due to my mental health. 

Anyways I. Watching this thread!! 

76 Chevy Van (A-Team kit) 7/3/19 update

With the P2P on hold I decided to focus on this build, since the A-Team kit offers an option to build it is a Chevy I decided to go that route (76 to be exact – based on the dashboard in the kit). I had a “blueprint” in my head, when "Vans" were chosen as the subject. So with only recently getting started, here are some of my changes and progress…

Bottom of body (all casting marks, extra holes filled etc. ) & light texture painted (flat black).
Bottom1.jpg.dd3371ed4b9fa5a3676038ee38ae10d1.jpg

Frame stock cross-members removed/new-members installed, leaf springs removed/new rear – air adj sys will be built. Frame smoothed out, filled, primed, sanded numerous times and pained gloss black.
Frame1.jpg.381247997de7e7e59f51abebdd6c8860.jpg

While waiting for things to dry, I’ve been working on the body too. The upper and lower trim have been removed (still needs some perfection). Installed new rain gutters/smoothed to roof. Work to continue.
PassSide1.jpg.920c2db594fd0238fdfa4ec033885252.jpg

The engine was fitted during frame assembly and if this were I real van I think it would make a real world good choice. Hint:  http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/sucp-0703-stealth-tpi-induction/

thoughts, opinions, comment - welcomed; stayed tuned (hopefully) for more updates

Edited by LouO

On 6/3/2019 at 8:45 AM, Jantrix said:

Very happy to hear this. Carry on my friends.

47993737017_de6775b390_z.jpg

Looks like you have a nice place! Our youngest will be a senior this next year and after that we are planning to move a bit north of Austin to a place similar to this.

I can tell you that I was Gung-Go about this year's CBR theme. Last year I waited til about March to announce my entry and actually started in April.  I planned on the same this year but I was undecided on what to build so I've been slow to announce this year's entry... I'm serious about what I want to build now I still need one more kit to actually start the ball rolling. once I get that, I still want in... (If it's not too late).

On 7/4/2019 at 12:51 PM, oldcarfan said:

Looks like you have a nice place! Our youngest will be a senior this next year and after that we are planning to move a bit north of Austin to a place similar to this.

Thanks. I hope Austin works out for ya. It's a great life.

11 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I can tell you that I was Gung-Go about this year's CBR theme. Last year I waited til about March to announce my entry and actually started in April.  I planned on the same this year but I was undecided on what to build so I've been slow to announce this year's entry... I'm serious about what I want to build now I still need one more kit to actually start the ball rolling. once I get that, I still want in... (If it's not too late).

Happy to hear it. Per our rules, you can join this CBP at ANY time up to 48 hours from the finish.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm declaring my entry finished. This Westie is powered by a Subaru WRX engine in order to get it up to the speeds needed to be competitive. She comes with a full load of electronic surveillance gear should allow it to keep up with any sticky issues and her three person crew is seated in comfort in Porsche seats. She is running lightweight wheels and Pirelli Centurato tires. She has two Cibie fog lights and an LED light bar. I worked in a couple of tributes to Brock Yates and his original Cannonball and One Lap races on the decal sheets. The roof carries four coms antennae for the scanners and two satellite dishes to power the Pear Computer laptops.

VWVanFront.jpg

VWVanTop.jpg

VWVanInterior2.jpg

VWVanSide.jpg

VWVanRear.jpg