Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 CBR - the Vannonball Run!

Jantrix

On 7/21/2019 at 1:28 PM, oldcarfan said:

I'm declaring my entry finished. This Westie is powered by a Subaru WRX engine in order to get it up to the speeds needed to be competitive. She comes with a full load of electronic surveillance gear should allow it to keep up with any sticky issues and her three person crew is seated in comfort in Porsche seats. She is running lightweight wheels and Pirelli Centurato tires. She has two Cibie fog lights and an LED light bar. I worked in a couple of tributes to Brock Yates and his original Cannonball and One Lap races on the decal sheets. The roof carries four coms antennae for the scanners and two satellite dishes to power the Pear Computer laptops.

Dude that is outstanding! It has all of the innovation and imagination that we've come to expect from our Cannonball crew. Well done!

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm REALLY late to the table, but,.. I didn't have a van model that I could build...

I was walking thru WallyWurl just the other day and saw this

OcVnkY8.jpg

I know.. it's probably 1:20th ..1:22nd..Shaggy looks about 8' tall..

Ocd6rr9.jpg

qconRWJ.jpg

I'm thinking of a section, stretch,...new interior,..an engine...4 1/2 months eh.?

Better get chopping...

6 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

I know I'm REALLY late to the table, but,.. I didn't have a van model that I could build...

OcVnkY8.jpg

Ocd6rr9.jpg

qconRWJ.jpg

I'm thinking of a section, stretch,...new interior,..an engine...4 1/2 months eh.?

Better get chopping...

I like the sound of this !

On 8/12/2019 at 2:59 AM, Belugawrx said:

OcVnkY8.jpg

Better get chopping...

Awesome project!!

• 4 weeks later...

Moon Trash 3 or, “I tried to make a sow’s ear into a silk purse but I did finish the sow’s ear”.

I joined this build fairly soon after it started. I had one so I thought I would build the AMTronic. First mistake. This kit I would not wish on anyone. It, IMO, is just plain horrible. Ill fitting parts, gaps, gaps and more gaps and more aggravation than I can explain.

I am calling this done. I had many plans when I started it, some posted earlier in this thread. It didn’t work out that way. I just got to the point of being over with it.

If you look up the original Cannonball Baker Sea to Shining Sea Memorial Trophy Dash you will see the van used in the initial run was called Moon Trash ll. That is the genesis of my name for it. The first run was not a race. It included Brock Yates, his son, Brock Yates, Jr.; Steve Smith; and friend Jim Williams.

Highlights of the build, if you call it that.
I did do the engines similar to my original plan. I modified the two rear ones to look a bit more cool and aggressive, at least to my eye. I moved the front engine to the rear and connected it  to the two rears. My theme on the engines was to make them look like garbage cans. The air intake I designed to look like an Insinkerator. This is one part of this build I am happy with.

I modified the interior, using two of the rear seats instead of the kit front seats. I  designed this so either front seat occupant could drive at any given time.  I made the steering wheels to look airplane related. The front wheel assembly was also aircraft inspired. I made my own inner rear wheel wells. I had to cut a hole in the bottom to get the rear pumpkin to mount the axle below the underside to get a higher ride height to off-set the height added to the front. It would have been like a nose high Gasser other-wise.

I also have to give a special THANK YOU to Casey. He supplied me, on his dime, with the rear tires I used to help achieve said rear ride height.  Thank you Casey!

I am not going to add any more details. I’m not going to put the decals I planned to make on either. This model will be put in a box and placed on the bottom of a dark closet.

I had planned to do a lot of scratch-building and custom touches. That went out the window, so to speak.

I had planned on a really cool idea for paint but decided to forgo using it, as to me, this build did not deserve it. I then found a nice finger nail polish but decided against that too. I ended up spraying it with DupliColor Sonic (name kinda added to the theme) Blue Pearl from the rattle can. One thing I do differently than most, I would guess, is the way I polish my finished paint. After curing I sand with a (Carborundum brand) 800-1000 grit sanding pad. I then polish with fairly dry Mothers California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax. It takes a good long while to do it this way and this one was somewhere around half the time I normally would spend. There is no clear coat on the body.

Yes, I know that there are numerous flaws.  I must have glued the upper hood incorrectly as the windshield  does not sit right. I used white glue to attach the glass (which still needs cleaned off) and I can't get the lower drivers side glass to hold using white glue. Another flaw is I had to super glue the body half's after I painted it. I did get some super glue on the body. There was no way I could figure out how  to paint the interior after the body was glued together. My seam filling is horrible. I used 3M Glazing and spot putty and Tamiya white putty. I sanded with a flat block. The seams have not been filled and  finished so as not to be noticeable.  I can only guess that they kept shrinking.  I may have found a better putty alternative so I will try it on the next project that I need to do body work on.

All the paint in the interior is DupliColor  black primer from the rattle can with a satin finish clear coat, also from the rattle can,  in case you were wondering.

Sorry, I  do not mean to sound so jaded. This kit was simply frustrating. Lesson learned.

amtronicbuild 001.jpg

amtronic 009.jpg

amtronic 008.jpg

amtronic 010.jpg

amtronic 011.jpg

Edited by DPNM

When I said I planned to build this it was mentioned to include a pass through from the driver compartment to the rear section so it would seem more van like. I did that.

I also just took a pic to show the front axle. It does move up and down on the spring so it is functional.

Added a pic of the printed paper copy of the decals I planned on printing on decal paper, the sanding pad and wax.

amtronicbuild 009.jpg

amtronicbuild.jpg

Edited by DPNM

Well Jim I definitely think you get the "MOST UNUSUAL CANNONBALLER" award pretty much sewn up. And with guys like Mike, Bruce and Ralph in the field, that's saying something. I like what you accomplished. This is the ONLY build of this kit I have ever seen. Period. Based on that, I can imagine the quality of the kit. I think you did an admirable job. Ataboy.

Just a heads up. My building has ground to an absolute halt. Work on the farm sucks up most of my weekend and evening time. I'm planning on completely dismantling the hobby room  and getting things set up and organized, to include an indoor spray booth and parts storage.

At this time I have no plans for Cannonball 2020. I am hoping one of our usual suspects like Mike or Bruce will take the reins for next year. The last time I let a relative newcomer run it, he was a no-show for the full year and I ended up taking over. I need someone who has the time and interest, to run the whole enchilada to include choosing the theme. Please shoot me a PM, if you're interested.

I will finish this run as admin, start the completed builds thread. Hopefully Mike will agree to do the poll again. Thanks guys.

Thank you for the kind words Rob.

MAYBE don't close this out yet. I must like abuse as I may start to try to correct a few of the flaws so, I might not be finished with this yet. I'll see what, or if,  I can accomplish any more and update you when I know that I will take it no further.

Edited by DPNM

On 9/12/2019 at 1:24 PM, Jantrix said:

This is the ONLY build of this kit I have ever seen.

And given the frustration I experienced in it's construction I believe I know why it is the only build you have seen.

This is the modelling tool that came to mind to use most often:

amtronicbuild 010.jpg

On 9/11/2019 at 5:01 PM, DPNM said:

amtronicbuild 001.jpg

I've often heard this is a problem kit, but sometimes it seems irresistible. Since it's pretty much a fantasy car, it's less prone to rivet counting. You have my admiration for not only persevering through to the end but doing a fine job of it. I still dig it.

I am still in this thing and have not given up. I am working on the doors of the van. I thought it would be a great idea to open them up, and it will add to the final build, but the hinges have proven to be more of an issue that I wanted. I have tried several different ideas and I have finally found one that I am happy with. I will be able to open and close them, but I will display it with the doors open and leave them that way as I don't think they will swing too many times before they break.  

I am looking forward to seeing everyone's builds, I personally love this theme and I will build another van just for fun. 

Lets keep this alive. I know summer gets really busy and I have been absent here due to other hobbies I have when the sun is out. My hope is that as Fall/Winter comes we will find ourselves doing less outside activities and finding more bench time. I know I have probably spent less than 10 hours on the bench doing any serious work since July. 

So, don't feel bad if the summer has kept you from the work bench, Fall is here and Winter always follows. We will be looking for activities to do where it is warm and dry. 

I got the doors mounted and a few more things done. I am going to tough up the door hinges so they are body color, right now they are clear. I need to paint the center console, it is just sitting there to see how it will look. The table top is upside down in the picture, I had to move the mounting post, it was too close to the stove. 

So far my biggest issue is the stupid grill, I need to paint the recessed part and have the raised part still chrome. I have tried a few different times and each time I cleaned it off because it did not look right. I will keep at it.  

At my current rate of speed, I should be done with it by June of 2021. Guess I better kick it up a little. 

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

Update on my Chevy/GMC...upgraded the suspension to a (lowered) rack/pinion system in front and air ride out back, with 12 bolt Chevy axle (not completed yet). Installed engine assem. in frame just today. Still a lot to go. I see many long days and nights ahead. Next pics once rear suspension is done and you can see how she sits.

091919a.jpg.df79acbd93997fade3ba332fcf12ab87.jpg

091919b.jpg.f2723466d65fa0b458b83edf2fe1f14a.jpg
091919c.jpg.1ce07399fb64ac6d539f970dcbed43fc.jpg

On 9/12/2019 at 2:12 PM, DPNM said:

MAYBE don't close this out yet. I must like abuse 

Well said and a great job finishing off that beast..we have a little time left..2.5 months?

Love the interior of that van Scott. Lou that frame and suspension work is looking good?

20190919_232306_HDR.thumb.jpg.ec5ddb6e155d5577673b5eb6560bebba.jpg

Sorry for not being here at all..I have been slammed at work...

but I've made some cuts..took a ?scale? 8" out of the beltline..

Hopefully find some time to work on it soon..definately thinking rear engine..just need the right mill...

Lots more to do, but it is getting closer. One by one little things are getting done. The front end is done for now till I find a hook for the winch. Once I get the interior done I will be calling it done. I think I will leave the roof removable so you can get a look at the interior. Even with the opening doors, the interior is not very visible. 

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg