Model Cars Magazine Forum

My 2018 builds

Safire6

18 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

They look GREAT!!...I have that Triumph in my stash as well!!…..how do you like building it so far?

Thanks Dann! Of the 7-8 models I've built in the last 2 years the Triumph is the most challenging. A few fitment issues...getting the opening bonnet to fit correctly to the body when closed is difficult. Looks like I may be displaying this one with the bonnet up!

4 hours ago, peekay said:

Love the VW. And I guess the Triumph is best displayed this way - you don't notice its fit issues.

Thanks Peter! Yes-because of the fitment issues it looks like  the bonnet will be up when displayed. Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

Love.em all, the Beetle looks just right, but please get that Triumph finished!  I had a GT6, a Mk3,  back in the day.  It was advertised as "the poor man's E-Type".  Unfortunately back then I was the poor man and it had to go.  Another car I wish I had been able to keep.

I''m looking forward to seeing your finished build.

22 hours ago, Red318 said:

Love.em all, the Beetle looks just right, but please get that Triumph finished!  I had a GT6, a Mk3,  back in the day.  It was advertised as "the poor man's E-Type".  Unfortunately back then I was the poor man and it had to go.  Another car I wish I had been able to keep.

I''m looking forward to seeing your finished build.

Thanks David. I had a 1:1 "basket case" GT6 Mk3 a few years ago that I intended on restoring. The engine was seized and needed replacement, the bonnet was missing, the entire interior needed replacement but the body was virtually rust free. I wanted to restore it to complement my 1:1 1972 TR6 that I finished restoring in 2009. However I soon realized that I would have spend 2 to 3 times what it would be worth to get it into good condition, so I sold it. This 1/25 scale Triumph WILL be completed though!

On 12/28/2018 at 3:00 PM, Safire6 said:

Thanks David. I had a 1:1 "basket case" GT6 Mk3 a few years ago that I intended on restoring. The engine was seized and needed replacement, the bonnet was missing, the entire interior needed replacement but the body was virtually rust free. I wanted to restore it to complement my 1:1 1972 TR6 that I finished restoring in 2009. However I soon realized that I would have spend 2 to 3 times what it would be worth to get it into good condition, so I sold it. This 1/25 scale Triumph WILL be completed though!

That's true.  There are some strange prices for small Triumph parts even here in the UK so I can imagine US pricing will be pretty high.  My son has a Herald 13/60 which will be getting a full body off resto next year so we've been collecting parts for this. 

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! Looks like I'll need about a week before I get the Triumph finished. After that I'll be building next year's Christmas presents for my 3 younger brothers. Two brothers had 1:1 1966 Mustangs, one red with a black vinyl top and the other dark blue with a white vinyl top. The other brother bought a 1:1 1984 Firebird Trans Am when he graduated from Ohio State and got his first 'real' job. I'll be building 1/16 versions of these cars for them.