Model Cars Magazine Forum

General Modeling Advice?

I realize this is an extremely broad topic, but as I'm getting back into modeling, I've been directed to many sources of information, most notably Donn Yost. However, at this time, I have neither the time or the resources to build up a "collection" of tools or setup like Donn has, though it is awesome. I guess my question is, would any on here have any advice for me that would suit what I guess I would say would be an "intermediate" modeler (stole that from Revell)? Obviously, I can figure out some things on my own, but I'd appreciate any input for some essentials. As I type this I realize that IS a super broad question, as everyone has their go to brushes and glues and what not. Still, any one out there that considers themselves somewhere between beginner and Donn (haha) let me know what you think. A "for example" is, I don't have or need a crazy compressor setup like Yost. I can spend some money to acquire supplies, but I just kind of want to have fun, do a pretty good job without putting myself into the poor house. Sorry again for the wide scope of this post.

2 minutes ago, greg133 said:

I just kind of want to have fun, do a pretty good job 

1) Research either the kits or subjects you wan to build models of. If it's a Ferrari Testarossa, find out (or ask here) which kits are best, have the best fit and finish, etc. Once you decide that...

2) Buy the best kit you can afford.

3) Treat every part or sub-assembly (say the engine, interior, etc.) like a complete model, taking your time to do the best you can from separating each part from its gate(s), to final finish application.

4) Plan, plan, plan. Research the real thing to understand how the parts fit together, and you'll end up with a better finished product.

5) The old painting adage applies here-- a cheap paint job over great body work will look much better than an expensive paint job over poor body work. Take the time to create a proper foundation, no matter what the part is. Mold seams, sinks marks, ejector pin marks, etc-- all, if not properly attended to, will decrease the quality of the finished product.

Also, read all of these: http://italianhorses.net/Tutorials/tutorials.htm

You're right, it's a broad question. I'm 65 and have been building since I was a kid, including writing how-to articles for the minor magazines in the '70s and '80s.

I recommend starting with minimal tools and very slowly adding to them as you come across a situation that more would be useful. You could start with a box of single-edge razor blades, a couple sheets of 240, 320 and 400 wet-or-dry sandpaper and a hobby knife with a pack of #11 blades. A tiny container of 2-part auto body filler (be sure to get the catalyst that comes with it) would be good. Beyond that, stick with spray cans until you come across a very good reason to move on to an airbrush.

After that, add things as you need them like a set of miniature files and a set of pin vise drill bits and handle.

Edited by chepp

If you want to build good models, it takes effort and commitment and...perish the thought...work.

First-rate tools and materials definitely make building first-rate models easier, but they're just no substitute for paying attention, thinking about what you're doing, being careful, and honestly critiquing your own work.

I would also respectfully suggest that when you buy tools, buy the best you can afford (this goes for real-world tools as well).

There are cheap drill bits out there that will barely make a hole in plastic, and at best, are dull after 3 or 4. There are files that are too soft to cut brass, and aren't much better on hard plastic. Knife blades that won't hold an edge. Blade handles with soft polyethylene collets that strip out almost immediately. Squares that aren't. Pin-vises that jam because the threads are soft and poorly machined. Airbrushes that work once before the seals dissolve. Electric rotary tools that are smoking slag in a week. Saw blades that are bendy and almost uncontrollable. I've even seen Chinese-made measuring rules that were marked incorrectly. And on and on.

You don't necessarily need to always buy top-line stuff, but shopping price-only is a sure fire way to become disappointed with the process, and to turn out work that's less than you're really capable of.

On 12/26/2018 at 8:13 PM, greg133 said:

do a pretty good job without putting myself into the poor house

Unfortunately you have picked the wrong hobby if this is your goal.  LOL  I have been at this hobby off and on for almost 60 years and still consider my self to be a "low intermediate".  As has been said already, patience, patience, patience is one of the primary keys to a well-built model.  No matter how hard you try some builds will kick you in the seat of the pants, lay them aside for awhile, then come back to them after you have completed something else.  It may still be a bear, but if you continue to be persistent it will eventually come around, or wind up against the floor in a multitude of pieces. This forum is a plethora (I have always liked that word) of useful information, use it for your benefit and as Ace said, "Ask questions".

4 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Unfortunately you have picked the wrong hobby if this is your goal. 

You can spend a lot of money if you choose, but you can participate on a budget.  Your first model or two will be a bit expensive as you need to buy a lot of supplies. Fortunately these supplies will last through many more models, bringing the cost per model down.  You don't need expensive tools like an airbrush or spray booth.  Some hand tools and spray cans (I prefer Tamiya) will work just fine.

I do own a lot of expensive models but I find I enjoy working on cheap ones, especially restoring old built ups. Over time you will acquire more tools and supplies, your parts box will fill with left overs from other projects.  Work at your own pace, this is not a job, it's for your relaxation and enjoyment.

I'm not a modeler,  but I wanted to make a model so got on this forum to see how the guys do their thing. I have no budget restrictions on tools. I do have some skills, but haven't developed the detailing ones at all primarily because I have no decent work space to dedicate to the effort.  I've got 3D printers to make parts and no dedicated space for them. 3 in the garage,2 in the laundry room, one in a bedroom, another in another bedroom, one (Anycubic Photon) in the foyer where I unpacked it and have no place to set it up.

Point is, for me anyway, a private space big enough to comfortably work in is paramount. Has to be off limits to the wife and her penchant for tidying up.

Take your time and buy tools as your experience and skills develop. Basic tools as others have pointed out are a great start and only really necessary in the beginning. If you are building box stock or close to it, then a lathe or 3D printer are probably a waste of money for you. If you intend to build custom models with lots of detail, then you will start spending more on equipment than you will on models. 

A clean, well lit, dedicated work place is as important as having tools to build models. When I was kid, I had a card table in our dark, damp basement and my results were reflective of that. I suggest you try to have as nice and comfortable place to work on your models and be able to leave them in various states of completion as possible.

Finally, Nick (High Octane) has some great advice. Many of us get starry-eyed when we are at a show or store and see a great deal on model kits and over buy. At one time I had close to 600 kits and even if I was able to build one a month, that was a 50 year supply IF I DIDN'T BUY ANOTHER KIT! Figure out what you like to build and buy and build accordingly. If you have varied tastes, temper your buying or else you end up with hundreds of kits and get overwhelmed.

In the end, it's a hobby, so have fun and treat each build as a means to improve your skills so the next one is better than the last.

Patience is a pretty basic thing.  Take your time, and be sure everything fits the way it's supposed to.

Careful assembly and decent paint will do more for your model than almost anything else.

Research is your friend.  Even if you aren't building factory stock, it doesn't hurt to know how cars actually go together.  It's also fun when you stumble across something your never knew before.

You have only so much time, money, and shelf space, so maybe it's not a bad idea to be selective about what you build.  Some people focus on a particular scale, or subject.  Having said that,  if there's something that falls outside your particular set of restriction that you've just got to have, they're your rules, so you get to break them.

When someone starts going on about what a "real modeler" is, ignore them.  You're the one putting in the time and effort, you do what you want.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:14 PM, mikemodeler said:

… A clean, well lit, dedicated work place is as important as having tools to build models. When I was kid, I had a card table in our dark, damp basement and my results were reflective of that. I suggest you try to have as nice and comfortable place to work on your models and be able to leave them in various states of completion as possible....

agreed. it sounds great to isolate so you can "get stuff done with no interruptions", but I think in reality the time is more productive with a low level of background noise and activity by others. not drawing you attention away from the task, but enhancing it with the occasional "honey, you've been at it so long I thought you might be getting hungry. I made my world famous snicker-mores and here's a coffee to wash them down" does wonders for the morale. 

it can also make your hobby more acceptable to others around you because they begin to understand the dedication which goes into building something with your hands.

having the workbench & project "at the ready", tools out, parts prepared for the next step, can invite production when a brief or odd moment of unpredicted time avails itself.