Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for info on Cummins NHH 220

I have spent a lot of time searching on Google and every link I can find, but not finding much. The NHH 220, NHH250, NHH195 and NHHT 220 seem to all be of the same family of the NHC 250 that is found in the White Freightliner SD/DD kit. However, the second H I believe means "Horizontal" as this engine was used in buses with a flat floor and the engine was laid on its side. I have only found one good picture of it. Does anyone have any more pictures or info? I plan to put this in my Frageol/Road King Truck as these would have been right for the truck I want to make. Any info would be great. I can use the NHC as a doner, I just want to know what the oil pan, intake, exhaust etc. look like.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vanopolis/15172155655/

Edited by Oldmopars

B)B)B)

Hey there Scott...…   Basically the 220 and 250 were alike, with the most obvious exception, the NH220 has external fuel lines (go into Google images and look at the "intake" side and you will see fuel lines running from the fuel pump into external fittings in the heads.  When you type in NH250 you'll notice the fuel lines are not running "thru" the heads, but rather run "inside" of the heads to feed the individual cylinders).   They used (basically) the same other components (but as you stated, there were many variations).    Hope that helps brother....

Look forward to seeing your build!!!

DJ

:):):)

Footnote:   The only place that I could find much in the way of pictures, was in a book titled "FREIGHTLINER TRUCKS,  1937-1981 Photo Archive"  written by Robert Gabrick.  There is a section from pages 49 thru 58 on the Freightliner Spacemaker which used this engine set-up.  I got this copy thru Books-a-million  ISBN# 1-58388-090-9

hope any of this helps...……….

DJ

I see 3 different engine displacements for Cummins up to the mid 60's, the 672, 743 and 855 cu in. It appears the horizontal was only available in the 743 cu in version. This is the version with the external fuel lines. Interesting foot note is the 220 hp  was available in the 743 block NH220 and the 855 block NHE220.

IMG_5832.JPG

IMG_5833.JPG

IMG_5834.JPG

IMG_5835.JPG

IMG_5831.JPG

IMG_5830.JPG

IMG_5829.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

I can only see 3 of the images, but the one marked Fig 6 is perfect. Do you have any more like this one, maybe a NHH non turbo? I did not plan to use the NHHT, just the NHH, but I suppose I could add the turbo, it is a phantom build anyway. The truck I am building will be a phantom that "could" have been made by Fageol in the mid 50's. I think the NHHT was a little later. 

:):):)

Went back into my only reference book, and the author is calling the horizonal engine one based on an NH250, but by Tommie's chart that engine was not available in the NHH version.....  hmmmm…….    with that said, I have a great picture of what you need,  just not sure how to get it to you...…..

DJ

4 hours ago, Force said:

I would guess the NHH use some kind of dry sump system, Volvo did a 10 litre horisontal engine for busses and it has a dry sump oil system with a separate oil tank.

I am sure on the newer engines that is very true. This is an engine from the 50's and while they had that technology back then, it was mostly used in race cars and things that would corner fast or be on steep angles. My guess would be that for a lumbering old low speed truck like this, they would just have an odd shaped oil pan, but I could be wrong, one of the reasons I am looking for pictures of that side of the engine.

I have found these, but none of them are NHH-220.

engine.jpg

d69cae1dab.jpg

61695d5d27.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I too have been looking for photos of the horizontal Cummins, I do know they share all internal components. The block is different but only slightly, it has a mount boss cast in on what would be the side of the vertical engine. I haven’t been able to a picture of the oil pan yet, that’s what has stopped me from my Freightliner build!

17 hours ago, PettyKW43 said:

I too have been looking for photos of the horizontal Cummins, I do know they share all internal components. The block is different but only slightly, it has a mount boss cast in on what would be the side of the vertical engine. I haven’t been able to a picture of the oil pan yet, that’s what has stopped me from my Freightliner build!

Well. I got got the pictures you see, the rest I guessed at and used other flat engines to get ideas from. I know my engine is not 100% accurate, but it is close enough. Anyway, there are no pictures that I can find to prove me wrong, so its good enough. Its probably as accurate as many of the kits we are offered, or better.

Edited by Oldmopars

17 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Well. I got got the pictures you see, the rest I guessed at and used other flat engines to get ideas from. I know my engine is not 100% accurate, but it is close enough. Anyway, there are no pictures that I can find to prove me wrong, so its good enough. Its probably as accurate as many of the kits we are offered, or better.

I just looked at your pictures again and the oil pan was always the Question mark and I now am moving forward with the two story horizontal Cummins Freightshaker! Thanks for posting the pictures!

This is where I am currently at with it. Still need to be detailed some more, but it is getting there. I am doing some painting today. But, as you can see, I just used the pictures I posted and "Guessed" at what the pan may have looked like. I feel that it is at least reasonably close seeing as there are no pictures to judge it from.

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

You nailed it ! I had thought about fabbing something close to what you have come up with! Now I am moving forward on this project! I am hoping to get stuff painted on my Road Train shortly and get that one finished after nearly four years of on and off work (300 plus hours) it’s close. Then comes the eight foot display case! Thanks for posting the pictures!!

Well, looks like I can reasonably close. I am happy with how it turned out. Thanks for the pictures, this will help me with the rest.

That second picture looks like to owner made some changes. I see 2 AC Delco alternators and 2 electric fans. Neither of these would have been stock during the years these engines were made. Still good to get these pictures.