Model Cars Magazine Forum

If I Ran Revell....

15 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

The L-29 has never been offered as a kit, and like I said, this is what I would like to see.

That kind of proves my point. I honestly have no idea which company made the car in your picture, much less which specific model it is, or if it was a one-of-five coachbuilt car.  I know it's '30s era, and from a luxury maker like Duesenberg, Auburn, etc., but there is zero recognition for me, and I have been into vehicles since I was a toddler. Not a knock on your desires and wants at all, Richard, but any mass marketed kit needs to have mass appeal, and those 'classics' simply don't.

Edited by Casey

2 hours ago, vamach1 said:

My daughter is 22 and she wants a real Eleanor 67 Mustang.   I wonder where she gets it. :rolleyes:

Sadly she is one out of a thousand that appreciates muscle cars. :(

My son is 29 and one of his life goals is to own a '69 Camaro or a C2 Corvette. 

1 hour ago, Timonator said:

Galaxies, in full detail with separate chassis and separate interior side panels. Preferably 63- 67

Okay, I'll bite. What Ford kits does Revell have in their catalog upon which they could base new '63-'67 Galaxie bodies? 

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

That kind of proves my point. I honestly have no idea which company made the car in your picture, much less which specific model it is, or if it was a one-of-five coachbuilt car.  I know it's '30s era, and from a luxury maker like Duesenberg, Auburn, etc., but there is zero recognition for me, and I have been into vehicles since I was a toddler. Not a knock on your desires and wants at all, Richard, but any mass marketed kit needs to have mass appeal, and those 'classics' simply don't.

And you've managed to miss my point, with is that just because you want it, that doesn't necessarily make it a big seller.

12 minutes ago, Motor City said:

Most of us would like to see the results of market research done on behalf of Moebius, Revell and Round 2.  I have always liked the full-sized bucket seat models and the muscle cars.  I've wanted a Ford GT40 since I was a kid,  but also appreciate the styling of the late 1920s to mid-1930s, the fastback GM cars of the 1940s, the large hardtops of the 1950s and 1960s, and the early Nomads.  I own GM luxury cars of the '60s-'90s, and an El Camino I bought new (none are in show condition).  How would someone such as me be categorized as a potential model car buyer?  My nephews like anything fast, especially later cars since they can't really relate to the cars their Dad and I liked growing up.  They aren't really into model cars.  It has to be difficult to please most potential model car buyers.

Honestly, you're pretty well covered until we hit the 80's, since with the exception of the '83 Cutlass and 90's Impala SS, there hasn't been much between the late 70's Caddys and the Revell/Monogram Escalade for "modern" "luxury" cars.

25 minutes ago, Casey said:

Revell has at their disposal several prewar high end cars like that, and rarely reissues them. Sorry, those kits are still cheap on eBay (Cord, etc.), even the original issues., which means there's not a ton of demand for them. Good for buyers, though.

I've been looking for one of their (Monogram) Bugattis on there for some time, even a rebuildable glue bomb, and I haven't found an "affordable" one. 

I want to HOT ROD the thing. Yes, I am evil. :lol:

My thoughts : 1. I like the idea of snap kits that could be converted into full detail kits. 2. As was mentioned, I would need to know my audience before committing tooling dollars for subjects. 3. I would follow the lead of Moebius and develop new tools of the 67-72 GM pickups. Alternate between GMC and Chevy, 2wd and 4wd and include Blazer/Jimmy and Suburbans. I would follow up with Dodge pickups of the same era. 4. I would develop similar line for late model GM trucks- pickups, Tahoe/Suburban. 

20 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

That the "neglected youth" of the hobby is in it's 40s should be a cause for concern.

Don't know about other clubs, but there is only one person in the club I'm a member of is younger than me, we had 2, but other just moved out of the area for work.

14 minutes ago, Atmobil said:

Revell did a very nice ca 1990 Cadillac Brougham lowrider kit.

Only kinda, I think those 2dr Caddy's died as between '79 and '81....but I think the later pieces from the late 80's-'90 specific parts bolt right up if you wanted to update an older car.

27 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I've been looking for one of their (Monogram) Bugattis on there for some time, even a rebuildable glue bomb, and I haven't found an "affordable" one. 

I want to HOT ROD the thing. Yes, I am evil. :lol:

This one?  Is it hard to find?  I got it from an estate for $10, that a good deal?  I was thinking of adding two turbos and duplicating two wheels to make like the Auto Union hillclimb car.

IMG_8093_Fotor.jpg

39 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

Honestly, you're pretty well covered until we hit the 80's, since with the exception of the '83 Cutlass and 90's Impala SS, there hasn't been much between the late 70's Caddys and the Revell/Monogram Escalade for "modern" "luxury" cars.

except be for the Buick GN, GNX , typhoon and many LS powered F nodies

7 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

This one?  Is it hard to find?  I got it from an estate for $10, that a good deal?  I was thinking of adding two turbos and duplicating two wheels to make like the Auto Union hillclimb car.

IMG_8093_Fotor.jpg

That's the one I'm looking for. IMHO it needs an American V8 and some fat tires on Torq-Thrusts. 

I do have a Heller Alfa Romeo Zagato on which I intend to inflict similar perversions. I know, I'm a bad person. :lol:

30 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

Honestly, you're pretty well covered until we hit the 80's, since with the exception of the '83 Cutlass and 90's Impala SS, there hasn't been much between the late 70's Caddys and the Revell/Monogram Escalade for "modern" "luxury" cars.h

Joe,

I remember talking to someone from Brookfield Collectors Guild at a Toledo show.  They were soliciting suggestions for new models, and had recently released the '95-'97 Olds Aurora.  I suggested the then-current Riviera.  Too bad that never materialized.  Sad to say that the '79 Coupe deVille was the last annual luxury car.  Too bad no Lincoln Mark III, IV or V has been kitted, as well as some of the post-1969  Rivieras.

Casey,

You are not going to find ANY kit that meets your "mass appeal" criteria.  Cars of different eras is the only way to attract a broader audience of potential kit purchasers.  By the way, the car pictured is an Auburn.  

4 minutes ago, Timonator said:

except be for the Buick GN, GNX , typhoon and many LS powered F nodies

Those were more of along the lines of Muscle Cars and Trucks, which is why I left off the Monte SS and 80's pony cars.

4 minutes ago, Motor City said:

Casey,

You are not going to find ANY kit that meets your "mass appeal" criteria.  Cars of different eras is the only way to attract a broader audience of potential kit purchasers.  By the way, the car pictured is an Auburn.  

That's why I suggested  the XJ Cherokee, between replica stock, "Day 2", Overland, Trail Rig, First Car,  Winter Beater, Work Truck, LeMons Racer, GRM $20--.00 competitor, Sleeper, ect. Lots of possibility and ability to draw in a broader  audience that some smog laden mid-late 70's pile.

4 minutes ago, Timonator said:

None, time for a new tool on a great subject .

I'm not even a Ford guy

Kind of misses the point on my idea, which is (in part) to stimulate the sales of existing kits (tooling) by making exciting new bodies available for them. 

Not only would my new snappers sell, but maybe one in five of them would result in the sale of an existing kit that probably wouldn't have been bought except as a donor. B)

Edited by Snake45

I think that this thread has gotten way off topic. Snake had a good point about how to market kits.  Make a curbside kit with no engine,  minor chassis detail. Adf those parts separately for the be more advanced model builders.

Edited by Timonator

15 minutes ago, Motor City said:

You are not going to find ANY kit that meets your "mass appeal" criteria.  Cars of different eras is the only way to attract a broader audience of potential kit purchasers.

Well, here's where we disagree, then. '32 Fords, '69 Camaros, Tri-Five Chevies and the like have proven to be good sellers over the years, and while there is definitely room for new and or different subjects, a '34-'37 Chrysler Airflow isn't going to sell well, no matter how much I want a kit of that subject. To Revell, "different" means a '50 Olds Coupe, an '83 Olds Cutlass 442, and a Midget race car. Safe bets include a '68/9 Chevelle, '69 Boss 302 Mustang, and reissues of similar musclecars.

If I was Revell, I would focus on getting everything in order, setting up distribution networks, and getting kits to market in a timely fashion. They have plenty of molds on hand from which they can produce kits which will sell just fine.

I thought of a few more that could be used on the chassis of existing Revell 1/25 kits: 

'57 Ranchero

'57 Nomad

'55 Chevy Sedan Delivery

'61 Corvette

'65 or '66 Corvette roadster with hard top (and BB hood for use with their '67 kits).

'65 Chevelle SS, NON Z16 with accurate roof. 

And of course, would be a perfect way to bring a '69 Chevelle SS body to the new '68. 

Edited by Snake45

19 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

maybe one in five of them would result in the sale of an existing kit that probably wouldn't have been bought except as a donor. B)

I think you're over-estimating by a large ratio. If 5% of people bought the lone body, I would be shocked. The vast majority of people want a complete kit, not a partial kit, even if there is a donor kit easily available to use with the partial kit/body.

The cost to create and all-new mold for a body shell (and hood, etc.) alone would be better spent on a full kit. Kit manufacturers are not in business to sell partial things (with the Parts Packs from Round2 being the exceptions), but rather whole, complete kits.

I like your idea, and would be a big supporter if the subjects matched my interests, but I strongly feel I am the minority, and in no way represent the mass buyer public.

Edited by Casey

35 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

That's the one I'm looking for. IMHO it needs an American V8 and some fat tires on Torq-Thrusts. 

I do have a Heller Alfa Romeo Zagato on which I intend to inflict similar perversions. I know, I'm a bad person. :lol:

I definitely have one (or two) if you're still looking.  Send a PM

The premise of the OP is definitely a good one -  a way to get wanted subjects out and then have the 'serious' modeler do it a a full detail if they so desire.  The concept works best with vehicles from the Detroit era of shared chassis/drivelines.  Revell kinda just did this with the new '69 Boss.