Model Cars Magazine Forum

Steve Bagwell '65 Plymouth Super Stock WIP COMPLETE

I'm using the Moebius kit as a basis for this build as it already has a Hemi engine and correct type interior that the A990 cars had. I'm going to use a sheet of Fred Cady decals that are at least 25 years old. I cut a small piece and it slid off the paper without cracking. I've had these decals in a box all that time. I was fortunate enough to witness Steve Bagwell and his stable of factory Hemi cars ('Cuda and '64 and '65) Plymouths @ the  NHRA Southern Nationals at Commerce Georgia many times in the early 80's and at the WDRS (Winston Drag Racing Series) points meets at the Brainerd Optimist Drag Strip In Chattanooga also on several occasions usually wheeled by Richard Griffin. I have always been a huge fan of Steve Bagwell and his Barnett prepared race cars. Anyway....I am doing this as a phantom build with more modern items such as an updated roll cage system, wheels and so on. Here are a few pics. I have started by back halving the rear with large wheel tubs. More to come when I can. Thanks 

DSCF0004 (7).JPG

DSCF0005 (7).JPG

DSCF0001 (9).JPG

DSCF0003 (8).JPG

Edited by Mister Twister

Thanks fellas....I did some work on the engine and made some long collectors for the headers. Lots of test fitting is necessary in a build of this nature. The chassis and body fit well but the final glue in will allow the chassis to set deeper inside the body and making the car look lower. I decided to do this as a Nostalgia Super Stock because I believe it just fits better for a modern, updated type of race car. Thanks

DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG

DSCF0005.JPG

Wow.. talk about progress! This build is coming along nicely. What did you use to build those headers? They fit great, tucked up under the chassis. 

I just bought the Calif Flash, and Melrose Missle. I also got the Golden Commandos on the way. These kits are really nice. The body is one of the nicest I’ve seen. While working on the Missle, it was a shame I had to cut the pillars, and remove the emblems on such a perfect body. 

I cant wait to see your final assembly. 

Edited by Brutalform

I sprayed the body with MM Star Spangled Blue and got the decals and graphics in place. I'll have to wait on a good weather day for the clear coat. I took liberties with the decals but the overall theme is still in line with the original (real) car. I am doing this build as a more modern version of the actual car so there will be differences. With some bad weather predicted for this weekend it may be a few days on the clear coat. For 25 year old decals they went on perfectly. I'm happy with the outcome. More when I can.

DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG

Edited by Mister Twister

3 hours ago, oldr-n-drt said:

Darryl... yall know nostalgia super stock class runs 10 1/2 wide tires??  oldr-n-drt

Yeah....I know they run 10.5 tires and mostly a stock looking interior with original instrument panels and so on.  As I said I'm taking liberties with this build and its just my rendition. Thanks