Model Cars Magazine Forum

Steve Bagwell '65 Plymouth Super Stock WIP COMPLETE

4 hours ago, Brutalform said:

The body looks fantastic. Final assembly right around the corner!

Not much more to do.....Mostly waiting to spray on the clear.  oldr-n-drt mentioned about the nostalgia ss classes only running 10.5 wide tires but  it slipped my mind about the outlaw super stock classes which are more liberal in the rules with tire size, engine displacement etc.. The oss classes do have rules but they are more of run whatcha brung type of set up.

Well fellas here is where I stand with this build as of today. The tarp and assorted diorama stuff should be enough of a sign that something went wrong......somewhere. In particular, the clear coat. Changing clear is not a great idea for me any way....especially not in the winter. I changed from my trusty Model Master enamel to a Dupli Color acrylic...I assume. Any way it really didn't like the paint and that's all I can say. I changed clear several years ago with much the same results on a Chevy Beretta pro mod. It was to be a slick ice blue color with white graphics and called the CHILL FACTOR. It didn't happen....the clear ate the paint immediately. I had way too much detail in it to scrap it....so I stripped all paint and sprayed it flat black....put the name "GRIZZLY"on the doors and the rest is history. It can be viewed some where here on the forum or in my photobucket pro mod album......Most builds can be salvaged.  Several years ago, when I was attending model car contests on a regular basis with my friend Wayne Stevens JR (1320Wayne)....a fellow modeler said that I used tarps and open parachutes and so on to cover up mistakes on my builds. That's not true (except with this Steve Bagwell build)…..LOL, I really like diorama type builds. You can cover up mistakes, yes...but that is not the only reason to use tarps and so on...just be brave and add the extra detail if you please. So, I salvaged this build...am I happy? Heck Yeah! I'm just as happy as when I started. Several details to go. Finished pics later.Thanks!

DSCF0001 (3).JPG

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG

DSCF0005 (4).JPG

DSCF0006.JPG

Edited by Mister Twister

Man, sorry to hear about your mishap, but as long as you are ok with it, is all that matters. 

I recently had issues with certain paint and clear compatibility. There is a thread in Model Building Question And Answer board on it. Now after learning what I have, I’ll never stray away from what works. I’ve had paint jobs work out, then all of a sudden, they all went bad. 

I think it looks fine with the cover resting on it. Not a waste by any means. 

Edited by Brutalform

Nice build and your diorama makes it even better.
I know you took libertys with this build and you are of course indeed entitled to as it's your model and you can do whatever you want.
But one thing still bothers me some and it's the carburetors, as far as I know Holley 4500 series Dominators are not allowed in any Super Stock class regardless of sanctioning body, a pair of Holley 4160 series carburetors would have looked more right and the awsome Fireball Modelworks resin carburetors would be perfect.

What kind and brand of color did you use?  I've used Duplicolor Acrylic Enamel(large black label can) and no problems...I've used it over bombs made by paint stores (acrylic enamels)..Sorry for your troubles as you put so much effort into your work..Still looks pretty convincing though..

Thanks fellas....the Dominator carbs wouldn't be allowed no matter the size (750 cfm,1050 cfm etc.) but the  4160 probably would be as it has a stock looking appearance. I used Model Master lacquer for color and Dupli Color Perfect Match for the clear. I did what my normal thought pattern was after it wrinkled the top....and that was to sand out the wrinkles caused by the clear but it didn't work. I could have stripped the body but it turned out nice (other than the roof) and the Bagwell decals are somewhat difficult to come by. That's when my diorama ideas kicked in. Like I said in an earlier post "Am I happy with this build?....Heck yeah!" Its on to the next project.

• 3 months later...