Model Cars Magazine Forum

I suffer from CSBM too!

Yes. I buy more then I build. At the last count, I had just over 2000 kits.  I retired in 2018. And I thought that I'd have a lot more time for building, but that didn't happen.  Between doing things around the house, the grand kids and going to car shows with my 1955 Oldsmobile I haven't found the time to build. I didn't buy any new kits since the summer and don't see myself buying any more until the Revell Le Mans Ford GT comes out. But lately I've been thinking of reducing my stash to a more managable number. Since my wife and I retired we have been down sizeing our home and getting rid of the clutter, not that the kits are clutter, it's just my kids are not interested in my hobby. So I've been thinking of selling alot of my stuff so my wife isn't stuck figering out how to get rid of them when I'm gone. 

15 hours ago, kitbash1 said:

So I've been thinking of selling alot of my stuff so my wife isn't stuck figering out how to get rid of them when I'm gone. 

I'm not thinking about passing away soon( I know, most of us aren't ) but I was thinking about this issue of "what would happen if" recently. In my case, I am the building maintenance guy for City Hall and I have a large shop. About 90% of my stash and supplies are at work. I can't imagine the level of difficulty it will be for my wife, boss and co-workers to clear it all out. There will be more than a few trips involved. Unfortunately it is such a SWEET setup for me that I can't pass it up!

Later-

I used to go on ebay almost every other day searching for a deal on something I wanted and was at Hobby Lobby almost weekly!

But here of late I haven't even looked on ebay for anything and the last 6 months I have only bought at Hobby lobby once as opposed to having to grab a kit every time I set foot inside their door!

8 hours ago, Ich_Will said:

I got my eye on one more for 2019, then I'd better build enough to put a dent in the stack before ordering more.

That's my plan right now. First, I need to order an RMR 61 Econoline pickup. Then my plan is to finish at least three, if not more, of my started builds for 2019. That's not even taking into consideration the ones that I want to start this year. Just started a 58 Corvette today while waiting for paint to dry on my 40 Ford.

Later-

My name is Tommy and I'm a collective addict. Coming here helps me, especially when I see that I'm NOT crazy owning ONLY around 400 kits. :) Which equals around 65 years of work to do at my current building rate. Could be difficult, but why bother with facts of life while you've got a nice hobby... While I'm writing this, another parcel is being handed over to me. 4 new kits inside I believe... On a good day I can remember what I ordered. Wait... 2017 Camaro AMT Snap kit, AMT '68 El Camino Derby Kit, MPC '73 Mustang... what's the last again? Ah right, Monogram '70 Buick GSX. And some wheels, but wheels don't count, right? Collect on! :D 

Edited by Tommy124

I retired last May at age 72 and decided it was time to take stock of my hobby endeavors.   With a stash numbering 400 kits I knew I was never going to be able to build all of them so I pulled out about 70 of the duplicates and those I knew I would never build and have started to try and sell them off.  I have also vowed to stop buying more kits unless it was something really special to fill a void in my themed collection.  I am doing pretty well with my vow so far with only one purchase, but that was Ismael's fault so I can't blame myself. :lol:

3 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Oh yes,I've got that same problem,and I'm running out space for more stuff.

I hear ya! And I have to admit, I've bought more than I'll probably ever build. But I don't always buy a model for the sake of building it. I'll buy a particular car because I happen to like that particular car/body style. Sometimes it's just nice to have something I've admired for many years finally in my two hands.

I do have some expensive holy grails to get though. I find myself looking at yet ANOTHER 1/8 scale DeAgostini kit. And there's the ultimate grail of getting one of those 1/12 scale MFH Ferrari kits since they won't be doing anymore new ones. I might just spring for that one this year! ;)

I am thinning out the stash again, gonna go to a swap meet next Saturday and try to sell off some more kits. While I vow to not buy more, I can't resist buying some kits of interest that either haven't been out before or haven't been issued for some time. My recent purchases include the Moebius F100 4x4, the Revell 68 Chevelle and AMT Toyota Pickup snap kit. I did also get the 60 Chevy pickup despite having 2, but that dang go cart !

I am very proud of myself.  I just walked through Hobby Lobby, picked up several kits looked at the box-art on all sides; if they were AMT checked out the parts shadow on the bottom, and left without buying any of them.  Of course there are a couple of kits there that are going to make me buy them sometime in the very near future.  That being said, once I get my basement back together and get my storage area set back up, I am going to divide them into "must keep with the intention of building" or "trade fodder/swap meet sales".  Let's see how long that will last without moving kits around. 

2 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

... I don't always buy a model for the sake of building it. I'll buy a particular car because I happen to like that particular car/body style. Sometimes it's just nice to have something I've admired for many years finally in my two hands...

Yup, same here. And on the off chance I DO live to be 140, I should have plenty to do.  :D

I have to delete my email from my cell phone- Michael's sends me daily emails with coupons and for the second time in a couple of weeks I have used their coupon to score a model for $10. This time it was a Revell Nova that will get used for parts or possibly actually get built!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 10:54 AM, Gramps46 said:

I am doing pretty well with my vow so far with only one purchase, but that was Ismael's fault so I can't blame myself. :lol:

Guilty as charged! 

I behaved myself for years, but this year I've bought 4 already, and we are only in January... 

I sold 2 last year and I plan to sell a few more.  I don't know how many I have but probably over 100.  

I bought 10 kits in the last month, after telling myself I must stop. Right now I’m focusing on building as many as I can as paint, and supplies allow. 

I really should sell some of them. I had big plans for some builds, but some of those plans were years ago. 

I have to get focused, and accept the fact I must let the kits go I probably will never build.