Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Completed Builds for 2018

David G.

I know that there are a couple of models in this set that shouldn't be featured in the general "Under Glass" section, but I wanted to keep my complete set together in one place. If the Mods are unhappy with this topic, please let me know and I will remove the improper photos and replace them with links to separate topics.

This Revell 1968 WV Beetle was a birthday gift from my son. I started this one on November 22, 2017 and finished it on January 8th, 2018. The total build took about 42 hours. I chose to build this Bug as right-hand drive but I thought giving it British number plates would be almost cliche. I decided instead to give it an Australian, NSW circa 1968 registration.

68_Beetle20.thumb.jpg.09b9f9c632c9aadc7c8f19aca8270b54.jpg

I bought this Revell "Batman Forever" Batmobile at the 2017 Desert Scale Classic. This is my absolute least favorite Batmobile. It's too flashy, too glitzy and way too over the top. It's more Bat-glam than Batman. This one was started on April 14 of 2018 and finished on May 14, 2018 with about 20 hours invested.

Batmobile_95_13.thumb.jpg.5d0e56d54b74848c86d5f9a402af37c1.jpg

I started this Revell kit back on April 24, 2011 and finished it on May 21st of 2018 with an estimated 72.5 Dave-hours burned. When first I opened this kit I found that the roof had been squished and twisted to one side. So I began having problems, literally, right out of the box. Add to that an interior that required extensive modification just to fit properly into the body shell, multiple re-paints and a number of other fit and alignment issues, it's amazing that I was even able to finish it. All that time invested and all those issues earned this one the name "Hard-Luck Impala". I even made an Arizona "HRD-LUK" vanity plate for it.

60Chevy46.thumb.jpg.3cc5d47e26958af2128684779832c0c3.jpg

I started the Pacer Recon with the "Road Warrior" universe in mind then switched to the "Car Wars" universe. "Car Wars" is a board game from the 80s in which manslaughter has been decriminalized and auto manufacturers offer accessories like machine guns and smoke screens. I began working on this MPC kit on January 15th, 2018 but due to a number of fit issues, it made several trips back to its box before I finally finished it on July 15th with 57 hours on the clock.

78_PacerRecon_44.thumb.jpg.031a3ba4506c296274928917edd888b5.jpg

This is the "WWII" Jeep kit by MPC. It's a generic 1942/55, Ford/Willys Jeep provides a good representation of its intended subject. This is also the donor for the .50 cal MG on the Pacer Recon. The bumper markings I painted on this one mark it as Third US Army, Medical Battalion, Vehicle 4. I worked on this one between June 17 and August 13 with about 31 hours logged.

WW_II_Jeep_09.thumb.jpg.7b93af23d766bbdef87ef9e69dc37d7b.jpg

This is another birthday gift from my son and quite probably one of the coolest models I've built so far. It was nice to step outside of my comfort zone and build something that presented me with an entirely different set of challenges. I had three naming options and I chose Potemkin over Constellation and... uh, Enterprise. The kit is by Revell of Germany and took me about 45 hours from August 20th to October 26th. I gave the completed model back to him for his birthday in December.

Starship_33.thumb.jpg.639750da44dbeb84d35dd52e3bcacc8f.jpg

And a bonus from our Special Effects Department.

Starship_37.thumb.jpg.9d6ed39c90683a52694e3cac6740db5d.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

Also, let me know if I need to cross-link a couple of these pics.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Typo

• 1 month later...