Model Cars Magazine Forum

'59 Chevy El Camino 1960s Custom

W-409

I built this for TRaK Autorama Contest on Traditional Rod and Kustom In Scale forum. Jerry Preston's '59 El Camino was the inspiration for this one, even though I was never going to build a replica of that one, but some of the styling ideas came from that car.

The body mods are quite simple, I removed the "Eyebrows" (or whatever they're actually called) from front. It was a pretty easy modification, but some work was required to get the hood fitting properly. Otherwise, the body is pretty much stock, with only some chrome trim and emblems shaved off. However, the body required pretty much work before paint to smooth out all sink marks, panel lines etc. The color is Tamiya TS 95 Pure Metallic Red clear coated with Tamiya clear and polished. Chrome trim was done with BMF of course.

Engine is a Chevy 409 from this kit (remember, 348 and 409 are pretty much similar looking, so it's possible to use the 348 and call it a 409) with vintage mechanical Fuel Injection setup. The intake is from AMT '63 Corvette that fits on place with a bit of modifying. It's originally meant to go with Webers, but it looks exactly like old Algon Fuel Injection manifolds. The injector tubes are made from electric components, and fuel lines are aftermarket items. Fuel line fittings, fuel block on center of the intake and the belt driven fuel pump are all scratchbuilt items. I made the new belt from water pump to the fuel pump, and with a bit of modifying, the stock generator belt fit on place as well. Generator bracket and fuel pump bracket are also scratchbuilt. When I thought that the engine was done, I found out that the kit supplied headers didn't fit on place, so I scratchbuilt a set of Fenderwell headers from plastic rod.

Chassis is pretty much stock with only some additional detailing, like brake lines, handbrake cables and fuel line. Wheels and tires are made by Pegasus. I'm not a huge fan of those wheels (Chrome Reverses are very nice, but these are not the best scale versions out there), but the tires are very nice.

Interior is quite basic as well. Only modification was to add a tachometer cable to the kit supplied Half Sweep tach. Otherwise it's just painted and chrome trim is done with BMF and Molotow.

Final assembly went quite well. I had to modify the Mercury grill a little to make it fit properly, and all chrome parts had bunch of mold lines and other stuff that needed some cleanup. But luckily the Molotow Chrome Marker came to rescue. Overall this was a very fun build, and I'm glad I was able to finish it before the deadline. All kinds of comments, good or bad, are much appreciated.

DSCN7299-vi.jpg

DSCN7280-vi.jpg

DSCN7314-vi.jpg

DSCN7275-vi.jpg

DSCN7288-vi.jpg

DSCN7295-vi.jpg

DSCN7291-vi.jpg

DSCN7296-vi.jpg

DSCN7303-vi.jpg

DSCN7305-vi.jpg

DSCN7306-vi.jpg

DSCN7307-vi.jpg

Thanks very much for the kind comments, everyone! I appreciate them!

James, I really like these X-Frame Chevrolets, and I agree, the '60 El Camino is my favorite too. Luckily I have one old SMP '60 Elco to build some day, which will also be a Traditional Custom.