Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johnny Rutherford

TonyK

Or John Rutherford as it says on the car. This is the AMT kit painted Testors black and Tamiya gold to make the Smokey Yunick car that Johnny Rutherford won a qualifying race with and then finished 9th in the 1963 Daytona 500. I removed all the chrome and wipers, used PPP wheels and tires and Ace decals.

Johnny1.jpg

Johnny2.jpg

Johnny3.jpg

Johnny4.jpg

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

No idea what that orange sphere is. Don't think I've seen it on any other car so that caused my thought of a rookie symbol to be wrong. Being on the top of the trunk lid is another oddity.

Yes, its a real mystery.

I always wondered about the orange dot too. If you watch a video of the 63 Daytona 500, there are a few other cars with the orange dot. I was thinking it may have something to do with rookie status and only used once. Definitely a mystery that persists!

I am actually working on a pair of 63 Impalas, one an AMT and the  other a Revell. The AMT was started in the 1980's and will be the Junior Johnson car, the Revell is going to be the Rutherford car. I am getting back on them in a few weeks and hope to finish both soon.

• 2 months later...