Model Cars Magazine Forum

Junior Fueler--More Of These (Darn) Injectors?! 02/01/19

I got some of the stacks cleaned up. I am very satisfied with their shape. I am considering getting two of these units into as pristine condition as I can, and making a new mold. After all the years I've been developing them, I want them to be as perfect as I can make them. In the first photo, the unit in the front left is cast using Alumilite resin. The one right rear is the master I made from Evergreen. The left rear unit is made from two castings using the acrylic resin for fingernails. Finally, the right front unit is a single unit cast from nail resin. Still a lot of work to do, on the fuel injection setup...

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

Got a little more done to the engine. The heads, according to the article that inspired this model, are aluminum castings by Howard (I'll assume the Howard's Cams folks, since their name is emblazoned across the cowl.). They were drilled to promote better oil flow. That's what the two lines are, from the heads to the timing cover. Still have the mish-mash of stacks sitting atop the manifold, but, I will begin concentrating on that whole assembly, soon--lots of work to do, there. I need to replace six of the front cover bolts that fell off during the re-installation of the oil lines. I've also included a better shot of the front wheel and one of the front axle, as well. Questions/comments always welcome.

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

I am sure everyone is sick of these injector stacks, and manifold, but, the progress is significant (in spite of what it looks like). This is the fourth manifold I've worked on for this thing--there may be a fifth. The mounting flanges keep pulling up, and away from the heads, and that drives me nuts! I thought I had it, this time, because I weighted them down. Alas, there they are again, up in the air! Grr. I finally have clean molds to make pretty clean castings, and, I have figgered (sic) out the best way to prep them for paint. The shape and size look right to me, finally. Once I clear this hurdle, I really should be able to get on down the road with this project. If I can find one of the old MPC vinyl dragster seats, I may see if I can adapt it to the aluminum "bucket" I made. I'm very excited to have these stacks so close to done!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

3 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I am sure everyone is sick of these injector stacks, and manifold, but, the progress is significant... This is the fourth manifold I've worked on for this thing--there may be a fifth. The mounting flanges keep pulling up, and away from the heads, and that drives me nuts!  ... The shape and size look right to me, finally. Once I clear this hurdle, I really should be able to get on down the road with this project....DSC_0002cr.jpg

They're round, the edges are crisp and the thickness scales. If you can get the flanges to behave, with a little minor cleanup you're there. As you no doubt know, this is a key detail. When I used the Speed City injectors, as nice as they were, besides the fact that they were for a big block (how could he overlook the small block?), the thickness of the stacks meant that my model would be permanently flawed. So, stick with it, it's worth it! Besides a finely crafted one-off like this, I think the only solution, in any quantity at all, will have to be 3D printing, IMHO. But if someone does it they will be a popular detail, since they are so charismatic In the meantime, build on!.

12 hours ago, Bernard Kron said:

They're round, the edges are crisp and the thickness scales. If you can get the flanges to behave, with a little minor cleanup you're there. As you no doubt know, this is a key detail. When I used the Speed City injectors, as nice as they were, besides the fact that they were for a big block (how could he overlook the small block?), the thickness of the stacks meant that my model would be permanently flawed. So, stick with it, it's worth it! Besides a finely crafted one-off like this, I think the only solution, in any quantity at all, will have to be 3D printing, IMHO. But if someone does it they will be a popular detail, since they are so charismatic In the meantime, build on!

Thanks, Bernard! I haven't seen any better, in scale, and, I wasn't going to build this thing without them. Nothing screams "small block Chevy junior fueler" like these Enderles--they're just, well...sexy. Someone is bound to begin manufacturing them. PM me your address, and I'll send you an assortment of them to play with, if you'd like. The two things I don't like about Speed City's castings are the heaviness of the walls and the lack of that delicate lip. The thickness could be dealt with, but, not easily, due to the taper. Anyway, drop me a line, if you're interested!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 12:16 PM, Snake45 said:

Have you ever seen the velocity stacks in the original AMT '66 Riviera? They look similar to what you're going for. 

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/automotive-cars--pi/buick/amt-1966-buick-rivi/66riviera.html

Thanks for the heads-up, Snake. Those do have a similar shape, but, they aren't siamesed, like the Enderles. Speaking of fuel injection, I have decided on how to do the injector nozzles. I used some square nut/bolt/washer castings for model trains, and sanded the washers off, flush with the side faces of the bolt head, and drilled them to accept a piece of .008" brass wire. They might be a tad on the big side, but, I don't think it's too outrageous. At times, I think I should have just used a Hilborn setup, because it would be much easier to plumb, with the nozzles on the outer side of the throttle bodies! At any rate, here's what I have, so far: The sprue of drilled "bolts" (I will shape the other two sides of each, as I remove them from the sprue), The unfinished manifold, and a Cirello Frankenstein mag that I built years ago, for another project. Qs and Cs always welcome! Thanks for lookin'!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

23 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

Thanks for the heads-up, Snake. Those do have a similar shape, but, they aren't siamesed, like the Enderles. 

Well no, not till you lay a couple file strokes on two of them. I thought you'd figger that out! B)

The trouble is, they're rare. I'm not even sure I have one full set of them. 

29 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Well no, not till you lay a couple file strokes on two of them. I thought you'd figger that out! B)

The trouble is, they're rare. I'm not even sure I have one full set of them. 

Well, yeah. That did cross my mind. :-) In fact, that's how I finally came up with the ones I am using. And, you're right, and I certainly don't have any!

7 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

Well, yeah. That did cross my mind. :-) In fact, that's how I finally came up with the ones I am using. And, you're right, and I certainly don't have any!

So I got to wondering what else might have the same general size/shape. And I thought of: Pick Up Sticks! Remember those? 

Apparently, they're still made/available. I'm gonna try to find some this week. 

My idea: 

1. File flats on the tips of two of them; cement securely together. 

2. Trim off the tip till they match the manifold. 

3. Then cut off the tops to desired length. 

4. Drill openings and refine opening shape with Xacto #11. 

5. Make molds and cast. 

I'll see if I can get a pair made this week, and send them to you. Think it will work? :unsure:B)

53 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

So I got to wondering what else might have the same general size/shape. And I thought of: Pick Up Sticks! Remember those? 

Apparently, they're still made/available. I'm gonna try to find some this week. 

My idea: 

1. File flats on the tips of two of them; cement securely together. 

2. Trim off the tip till they match the manifold. 

3. Then cut off the tops to desired length. 

4. Drill openings and refine opening shape with Xacto #11. 

5. Make molds and cast. 

I'll see if I can get a pair made this week, and send them to you. Think it will work? :unsure:B)

I think that's worth a shot, for sure! I am interested in seeing what you come up with. Thanks for the input!

Now I need to FIND some. No toy stores in my town anymore. The Walmart site shows them, but they might only be online, not sure if they're in the store. Same with Kmart. AC Moore doesn't show them and I didn't even try Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I wonder if Dollar stores or CVS or somewhere like that might have them? Hmmmmm. 

Several online vendors, but I'd rather buy 'em locally. And SEE 'em first. 

I could make my own out of Evergreen rod, but the trick would be getting getting two tips turned/shaved down to EXACTLY the same angle/contour. I wonder if someone makes a sharpener for TINY pencils? :lol:

40 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I could make my own out of Evergreen rod, but the trick would be getting getting two tips turned/shaved down to EXACTLY the same angle/contour. I wonder if someone makes a sharpener for TINY pencils? 

That's how I made my masters. It wasn't too difficult to get them turned the same, but, it required a specific set of steps and measurements  that included removing the key from my lathe, so I could rotate the headstock to cut the angle. I am pretty happy with them, as they are, but, it's been quite a journey, getting there. I just need to finish cleaning them up. Once I get the fuel injection done, it should move along at a more rapid pace!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

Quick update: While I have made quite a few parts for my models using the lathe, I've had a mill for several years, and had  never made anything useful, using it. We all have seen the great millwork of guys like Chris and Tim. I don't know that I will ever achieve their level of expertise, but, we've all got to start somewhere. That said, I used the mill to make straight pins into bolts for the torsion arms ( I tried hand-filing them, but those sucked!), so, i thought, "why not?". So, finally, I have parts from the mill, on one of my models. Like I said, it ain't much, but, it's a start. Man, those front wheels are dirty! That's what happens when stuff sits in storage, in a less than stable (or clean)  environment, for many years. I've also included a shot with the fuel tank set in place. I plan to build the complete engine, less manifold/injectors, and try to get it installed, along with the body, and cockpit details, then finish up the induction setup. I still need to build the other front wheel. I think I will likely switch to a set of the AMT parts pack M&H slicks, even though I love the way the Blue Streaks look, as, according to my research, M&H pretty much owned junior fuel. Qs and Cs always welcome!

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

Quick update. Unfortunately, no photos until tomorrow. I have installed the padding in the seat--covering to come. I got the components made for the oil filter/bypass assembly. I also traded out the Blue Streaks, for the M&H slicks. Tomorrow, I  will pull all the loose stuff from the chassis and install the lower firewall tabs, the front motor plate tabs, and the one that mounts the filter. Once those are installed, I should be ready to begin installing some of the chassis attachments, permanently.  I'm hoping for a warmer day, soon, so that I can shoot some paint on a few parts (I really need to get my spray booth ducted!). Then, it will be on to the other front wheel! I still think I can make it, by deadline...

Just a quickie of an update. I made the front motor plate tabs (the white tabs, seen above the pan sump.), added oil pan bolts from Plastruct hex rod, and built the filter "manifold" and bracket. The filter assembly will mount to the lower frame tube using the "u-bolt". Often, this assembly is mounted to the engine, but, there wasn't enough room, so, I have to attach it slightly forward. Also padded the seat. I'm still deciding on what I want to cover the seat with. I have a couple of ideas, but, not sure which direction I will go, just yet. The oil lines are made of some black "bell wire" or phone wire with hose clamps made from  aluminum duct tape. In researching remote filters, I discovered there are a couple of different ways to connect them (compression fittings, etc.), and I liked the hose clamps, best. I'm hoping to have the engine installed, after the weekend, so i can get on with finishing the cockpit, and get it on the wheels (once I've built the other front wire, of course!). I  am apparently happy with the injector stacks, since I haven't messed with them, in almost two weeks!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

This feels like a breakthrough! I got a bunch of stuff touched up, and gave the heads and front cover a wash of thinned India ink. Both axles are now permanently (I hope!) installed. I drilled out the scratch built front wheel, so that it mounts to the spindle (one more to go!). I still have a few minor things to do, before I can install the engine, bellhousing and drive tube. I swapped out the Blue Streaks for a pair of M&Hs. I like the Goodyears better, but, research says the M&H owned the class, so...In a week or so, I should have everything done, but the injection setup and ignition. That is mostly down to some clean up and assembly. I'm likin' it, so far!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg

DSC_0020cr.jpg

DSC_0022cr.jpg

Since yesterday's update, I noticed that my front axle was crooked. Not sure how I did it (must have forgot to measure twice, somewhere!), but, it's fixed. I also broke off the clutch pedal/arm assembly. That's fixed! I drilled some holes in the motor plate/firewall for the throttle and fuel shutoff cables, and for the mag kill wiring. I also replaced the "power shaft" that aligns the engine, bellhousing, output shaft tube and differential, after the plastic one broke off. I'll know within the next couple of hours (I hope) if everything fits along that shaft, and ends up, longitudinally where it needs to be. If it does, I will install the power train, before I hit the hay, this morning. I got the wheels put back together, and the treads of the slicks sanded, as well as the brake rotors and calipers. I hope to post another update, pretty quickly (in modeling terms!) Last, but not least, I completed this little touch, here the body and the firewall meet. It still needs a bit of work...

DSC_0015cr.jpg

Drivetrain is installed! Also got the oil filter attached to the lines. When I get home from work, I'll attach the bracket to the frame. Redoing the steering box. Will have to reattach the support, since it's one of the many "casualties" this poor thing has suffered, in its resurrection. Next, I'll work on finishing the cockpit, so I can work on the body. Ideally, I will get this to a place where the last thing I will do is finish the manifold/injection, drop it on and hook it up. Sounds easy, huh? Here are two shots of the drivetrain installed, and a gratuitous "on the wheels" shot, just because I like it!

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg