Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 El Camino - old build/survivor

<profile removed>

Hey, I know everyone has been posting their 2018 builds but I figured I'd do a bit of a throwback...I recently came across a box of models I built about 30 years ago, and in it was this '59 El Camino that I think has held up pretty well considering how many times the box has been jostled around in the last 30 years. (I was actually more surprised it wasn't a box of parts that USED to be models.)

I know there are a few El Camino posted recently, including Niko's killer 60's custom, so here's another. It's starting to yellow a bit and feels pretty fragile, but it will look ok on the shelf. I hand-painted all of the trim, including the rings on the gauge cluster. I could never do that now! The whitewalls are also hand-painted. Not sure why I went with wide-whites and dog dishes, but I kinda like it and I found a forlorn '64 Impala with the '59s hub caps in the box, so now the question is: where did the '64s wheel covers go?  (Answer: probably on some glue bomb that went to the dump ages ago.) 

Thanks for looking.

DSCN0512.JPG

DSCN0514.JPG

DSCN0519.JPG

DSCN0524.JPG

Wow! Built 30 years ago and looks like the style would fit right in at a car show today. Just goes to show that some styles are timeless. Congrats on the discovery and that it was still in such great shape. Don't change a thing. I love it. I still have to get me a couple of these to build.

Later-

Wow, that has survived through the years very well! The color is pretty rarely seen on these cars, but I like it. Also those steelies with the Dog Dish hubcaps are a perfect choice for it. You did a great job back then and it still looks like it could have been built yesterday...Nice work.