Model Cars Magazine Forum

'49 Ford Coupe Street Rod

Bernard Kron

DSCF6894-web.jpg
1949 Ford Coupe Street Rod

Built for the first annual TRaK Autorama contest, entries for which closed on December 31st. It’s my submission in the Street Rod class, the second of 3 entries in the 4 classes available. My inspiration was the slick “show ‘n’ go” hot rods as seen in the early 60’s car shows, machines designed both to impress at the drive-in and dominate at the stoplights. Hence the shiny paint, rolled pans and mild custom work and the ¾ race Caddy mill with the 6 Strombergs and the cheater slicks. Almost all of this can be found in the venerable and classic AMT kit that forms the basis for this project. It’s definitely the type of car that the guys at AMT hand in mind more than 50 years ago when this kit was first released, and hopefully Autorama-worthy…

Thanx for lookin’, and best wished for a happy and fulfilling 2019,
B.

• Base kit: AMT ’49 Ford Coupe
  • AMT kit supplied rake
  • Front & rear rolled pans from kit, grill from AMT ’19 Chevy custom accessory, cut to fit.
  • Louvers from Revell ’32 Ford Roadster hood sides grafted into hood top.
  • 3D Printed Stromberg 97 carbs with SP tops supplied by Maple Leaf Modelworks
  • 6 Carb log manifold from Revell Parts Pak Caddy motor
  • Whitewall cheater slicks supplied by Morgan Automotive Detail
  • Front whitewalls from AMT
  • Front wheels from AMT ’53 Ford F100 kit and rear wheels from AMT ’29 Ford kit, picked out in color chrome to match paint.
  • Scratch built tuck and roll interior with rear seat deleted, tuck and roll bucket seats supplied by Drag City Casting.
  • Duplicolor Dark Toreador Red Metallic paint over white primer with 4 coats of Duplicolor clear.

DSCF6895-web.jpg
DSCF6974-web-800.jpg
DSCF6976-web-800.jpg
Details-Summary-800-Web.jpg

Thank you everyone. This project was a total-focus thrash at the end of the year for the Autorama. It was done on pure instinct, but maybe sometimes that's the better way. It certainly seemed to "build itself" and I was surprised how few problems it gave me. Your comments are much appreciated!