Model Cars Magazine Forum

1926 Mack AC Dump Truck

So, I made a little progress on the Mack today.  Mostly trying to figure out how the evil (yes, I said evil) multi-piece cab goes together, and what's the best way to create subassemblies to make painting easier.  Not sure I figured it all out yet, but I have noticed something about this kit as compared to AMT truck kits: if a tab or pin is supposed to go into a slot or hole it will go there perfectly.  Now, if I could just figure out this cab!  It's like the roof doesn't fit right.

20190109_221300.jpg

On my tanker kit cab there are little alignment pins and everything fits fine when pre-assembled. Planning on using tacky stuff on the inside instead of tape on the outside because I have no experience taping stuff together.  I don't even have glue yet. Might count the rivets for kicks.

Thanks, Dave.  Yes, build one, definitely.  I have not been disappointed with the fit & details.

Monogram has some interesting color call-outs in the instructions.  For instance, it says to paint the transmission silver. :blink:  Would it really be silver, or the frame color?  I'm thinking of replicating the green truck on the box, but I'm pretty sure the paint that the original modeler used in the 1970s is no longer available.  Kind of looks like a Leaf Green.  Any suggestions?

Managed to get some paint on the frame today.  I used Krylon Gloss Seaweed.  I still have to do the detail painting of the chains, transmission, etc.; but I think the green came out nice.  Stinks to high heavens, but it looks nice.

20190114_161218.jpg

54 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

This pic was identified by the poster as being from World War I. The Mack is clearly marked "US Army." And interesting for its passenger - a 6-ton tank, the U.S. version of the French Renault FT-17.

mack-1.jpg

I have seen that photo before, and I RPM used it for their box art on their 1/72 scale 1919 Mack AC Type EHC1 (the M1917 tank was sold separately, not sure about the figures).  MMK makes this era of the Mack AC in a 1/35 scale resin kit, but at €70, it's a little too much for me.  I'd like to build a 1919 or so Mack AC in 1/24, but sourcing those wood spoke wheels will probably be next to impossible; and at my current skill level (or lack there of) there is no way I could scratch build them.

Lee, the cab, dump box, and wheels will all be the same green with the kit supplied decals (unless they self destruct, and that would be bad).

So I was getting ready to do some chassis detail painting on the AC Mack, and I was wondering if anyone had a good color to replicate the greasy chain & front sprocket.  I was thinking either Tamiya NATO Black or Polly Scale Grimy Black.

On 1/14/2019 at 10:49 PM, Jim B said:

I have seen that photo before, and I RPM used it for their box art on their 1/72 scale 1919 Mack AC Type EHC1 (the M1917 tank was sold separately, not sure about the figures).  MMK makes this era of the Mack AC in a 1/35 scale resin kit, but at €70, it's a little too much for me.  I'd like to build a 1919 or so Mack AC in 1/24, but sourcing those wood spoke wheels will probably be next to impossible; and at my current skill level (or lack there of) there is no way I could scratch build them.

Lee, the cab, dump box, and wheels will all be the same green with the kit supplied decals (unless they self destruct, and that would be bad).

Talk to dave at aitruckmodels.com you can get those wood spoke mack wheels 'chain gaurds' and older style hood 

Jim I forgot to tell you I called Dave last week and said he found the molds and was going to test them and let me know how they did. I used the Tamiya  nato black for my chain turned out very well and convincing after you paint it go over it  lightly with a #2 lead pencil for a little metal look on the sprocket and out site the chain. No dust problem 

Edited by Pete68