Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 G30 2/10 update: ride height, springs, cross member

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 12:37 PM, LouO said:

I never even knew that system existed until you introduced it to us all several weeks back. You did a great job replicating it in scale. Impressive work.

Thanks Lou! It was tough and confusing going off the few photos I found. But overall I’m very pleased. I hope to get some more done this weekend!

• 1 month later...

You have done a great job on this one. Doing the front suspension had to have been complex. Add to it that the front of the frame is not even close to symmetrical. The whole front of the frame on these vans are off-set. I am impressed that you were able to make it all work like it should.

15 hours ago, triplelindy said:

Very impressive scratch building.

Thank you! This was my first time doing something as major as this. 

1 hour ago, Oldmopars said:

You have done a great job on this one. Doing the front suspension had to have been complex. Add to it that the front of the frame is not even close to symmetrical. The whole front of the frame on these vans are off-set. I am impressed that you were able to make it all work like it should.

Thank you. I’ve enjoyed watching it all come together. I’ll have an update within the coming days. How is your van going? Still busy with the BRBO?

3 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

Thank you! This was my first time doing something as major as this. 

Thank you. I’ve enjoyed watching it all come together. I’ll have an update within the coming days. How is your van going? Still busy with the BRBO?

Yes and no. ADHD can be a pain sometimes. I have been working on the BRBO, but then I got side tracked and I am building the Dick Mann Honda 750 racer, but turning it into a Cafe style bike. I guess I needed a mental purge. Parts of the BRBO are still on my bench and I did get some painting done and I am waiting for it to dry. So, I have not totally abandoned the project. The paint I chose is very slow to dry and I found that if I rush to work on it, it just goes to poo. I am better to paint, then leave it a lone for a week or 2.

So, ya. ADHD.

@Oldmopars that makes sense. Same with me. I dropped the BRBO because I was too busy with school. Now that I’m done I want to finish this van over the summer. 

Heres an update for everyone. Made the torque tubes and braces for the front, drive shafts not shown but they are mocked up. In the rear we have lift shackles and I moved the suspension back a tad, it didn’t line up too well with the lift on it. Speaking of lifts, I have 2 lift blocks to get the van sitting level. I also extended the Dana 60 so it was more even. I’ll need to add brakes still.AD8F1186-9C74-4114-805A-F7EB0B4A5FA6.thumb.jpeg.332de7eb4d7f8232d9de20227138f992.jpeg

5F707185-106B-4363-B6E7-2BE04BFE8937.thumb.jpeg.88eb54377eb49a0ba8e4d64e69513b30.jpegFD6D59BD-38D7-4DB8-9DFA-378B9338104A.thumb.jpeg.157ec449e1d7515936bf3b474b49d054.jpeg

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...