Model Cars Magazine Forum

IronHide TopKick C4500

Well, let's open new project in new year!

I wanted to start it 10 years ago.

1_online

2_online

3_online

I recently bought front bumper and 6,6 Duramax engine at Trailertrash Kustoms. Here is the bumper set. It has 2 variants of fog light lenses.

4_online

With white fog lights

5_online

Reverse side has some cavities, but nothing, that can't be fixed.

6_online

Unfortunatelly bumper is too narrow, even for 1/25. It should be 96 mm, but it is only 89 mm.

7_online

I will build 1/24. Here is the engine set. It has two variant of valve heads and 3 small cilindrical pieces in front. One is alternator (but I can't identify - which) and two others - I don't know.

11_online

Two part pulley/belt set is tied by masking tape, so you don't mistake they relative position

12_online

And here are billets for the frame

13_online

It unused frame from Revell's Peterbilt Can Do wrecker. Now I'm not sure: if I use this frame and cut & fill all the brackets or use stright KFS or brass tube frame...

Edited by Sergey

The one is definitely the alternator/generator correct. The other is probably the AC that sits in the middle of the drive system at the top near the intake. The last one... not sure. Could be a dual alternator set up. Unless it is a CP3 injection pump that is meant for high output applications. 

I will be following this build, Can't wait to see it come together!

Jacob

Edited by Rusty92
clarity

13 hours ago, Chevythunder85 said:

Being the cab of the topkick is the same sheet metal as the full size chevy vans from 96 to when ever. 

Thank you, Nicholas! I know that. Unfortunattely I don't have brookfield chevy van. And as I seen it's not cheep now.

Thanks to every one for interes

Edited by Sergey

• 1 month later...

There was a newer model year Express/Savannah van from highway 61. But this one would work also, as you're going to have to scratchbuild the hood. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283365657628

But spencer is right. You could probably use the transformer toy, and rework that into something more detailed. 

On 2/19/2019 at 10:18 AM, Rob Hall said:

Takara Tomy is doing an Ironhide (3 variations) not sure of the scale though..

https://hlj.com/transformers-studio-series-ss-15-ironhide-tkt61583

The Studio Series is quite a bit smaller than the Leader Class:

ironhides.jpg.60970c202de0836c0197f40957f72591.jpg

Leader Ironhide was released back in 2011, but can still be found on eBay for not too much. Modding him into a full detail truck wouldn't be easy, but since the body is all plastic it's not impossible, either.

• 2 weeks later...

For now - some progres. A little work with frame spars.
14_online
I've lived small rear spring bracket rudiments and made a plate from brass. Front bracket of rear spring is made of Evergreen profile.
15_online
16_online
Later I've complicated brass part.

17_online
18_online
Now I've got brake discs.
19_online
If someone need dimensios - here are they:
20_online
21_online
Here I started to make crossmembers and second of rear springs.
22_online
23_online
24_online
All I left to do are - rest of springs, suit some differentials and I ready for cab...

On 20.02.2019 at 9:03 PM, spencer1984 said:

The Studio Series is quite a bit smaller than the Leader Class:

ironhides.jpg.60970c202de0836c0197f40957f72591.jpg

Leader Ironhide was released back in 2011, but can still be found on eBay for not too much. Modding him into a full detail truck wouldn't be easy, but since the body is all plastic it's not impossible, either.

Does anyone here have Leader Class'es TopKick? Can you give me the width and the hight of just a cab of this toy?

Edited by Sergey

1 hour ago, spencer1984 said:

I do, but it's currently boxed up in storage. I'll see if I can get it dug out this weekend.

Thanks in advance.

One more question: Can anyone point me to DIMENSIONS OF 1998 SILVERADO DUALIE BED 8FT?

Edited by Sergey

• 4 months later...

Let's continue!
Rear springs
25_online
Front springs and brackets
26_online
27_online
Dry fit. Suspension parts are waiting for further work and some more parts.
28_online
29_online
Searching for axles in my boxes, gave me this.
30_online
Black parts are from Meng's Ford 1/24, red - are from GMC Sonoma 1/20. As you can see on photos above - rear axle should be square & rear part of reduction gear should be like Sonoma has.
Front axle reduction gear looks similar to GMC, but shifted wrong side. I shoul turn the axle 180 degrees, cutting off springs.
31_online

Edited by Sergey

On ‎03‎.‎08‎.‎2019 at 8:47 PM, LouO said:

following closely and liking what I see so far (coils & leaf springs on same axle is a bit odd though)

Thank you!

Coils will be cut off soon. It's a dry fit. :)