Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 70 Chevelle Snap kit

RDean58

I picked up the snap Revell 70 Chevelle yesterday just to check it out and see how well the 68 frame and floor pan fits. What do you all think?

70Chev01.jpg

70Chev02.jpg

There were no modifications done to either the body or the floor pan for this fitting.

70Chev03.jpg

So this conversion of the snap kit is thoroughly doable, except for one thing.  The cost. In order to do this right, someone would need to get two of the snap kits in order to cut the hood out. (unless of course the hood from the AMT kit would fit, which by looking at it I don't think it would. Too short.) In order to get a nice fitting hood a person would need to first cut out the hood from the donor kit along the fender side, leaving room between the cut and  the hood edge of the hood for final sanding. The body you are using to build your 70 Chevelle, you would cut the hood out between the hood edge and the fender on the hood side, that way you could sand it even with the fender. Once you do that the hood will fit with the clearance of the grove that is already cut into the body. Basically you would cut on either side of the hood groove and then sand down for fit.

The other thing a person would need to get is the 68 Chevelle kit for the running gear. Of course, you could always use the 68 frame and floor pan and mate that to the unmodified snap body for a nice curbside with good frame detail, that way you only need to buy one kit.

At the cost of kits now-a-days, we are talking around $60, seems pretty expensive to me.  While I do agree the Revell body is way more accurate than the AMT version, perhaps I could live with just a snapper for the 70 version, of build one of the three AMT ones I have!

Thanks for looking!

58 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Will the chassis fit under the AMT kit?

Which AMT kit, the '70? Why would anyone want to do that, as the Revell snapper body is SO much better?

If you mean the '69, I think Bill (Mr. Obsessive) tried that down in his kit review thread, and it will need a couple little tweaks but it will work. 

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Which AMT kit, the '70? Why would anyone want to do that, as the Revell snapper body is SO much better?

Because I have a bunch of the AMT Chevelles 70-72. And he said he had a 70, so I asked it for reference. 

I didn't think it was a stupid question, not everyone wants to keep buying all the Chevelles available.

58 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Because I have a bunch of the AMT Chevelles 70-72. And he said he had a 70, so I asked it for reference. 

I didn't think it was a stupid question, not everyone wants to keep buying all the Chevelles available.

Ah. Using that chassis under an AMT '72 Chevelle--now THAT I can see. B)

• 1 month later...