Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Sox & Martin Superbird

Sport Suburban

I finished this one up this year. I would have to say that this is one of my longest works in progress. I actually rode my bycicle to the hobby store back in the late 80s and bought this kit new. I did a little preassembly by glueing on the nose and started the engine. I didn't know how I was going to paint it and was discouraged. It sat in the box for many years along with the Sox & Martin Cuda I also bought. Life happened and I was out of the hobby for awhile. I got back in the hobby and over the years bought slixx decals and a resin hood from AFX-N-Scale about 12 years ago but not real happy with this kit. Fireball Modelworks carbs were recently purchased as they are very nice and one of the things that bothered me were the carbs that came in the kit. I don't know how many times I have tossed this back in the box but I'm glad it is done now.

70 Sox & Martin Superbird a.JPG

70 Sox & Martin Superbird b.JPG

70 Sox & Martin Superbird c.JPG

70 Sox & Martin Superbird d.JPG

70 Sox & Martin Superbird e.JPG

70 Sox & Martin Superbird g.JPG

Very, VERY nice! What paints did you use for the red and blue? 

I started one of these about a decade ago, got as far as body prep. I'm planning/hoping to do several Sox & Martin builds but now, with the price increases on all JoHan stuff and the fact that this is the only 1/25 Superbird, I'm now thinking of building it stock. I'll have to see how I feel after I've done the S&M '69 and '70 Cudas and at least one of their GTXs or Road Runners. 

At any rate, yours is outstanding; thanks for showing it to us. Well done and model on! B)

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Very, VERY nice! What paints did you use for the red and blue? 

I started one of these about a decade ago, got as far as body prep. I'm planning/hoping to do several Sox & Martin builds but now, with the price increases on all JoHan stuff and the fact that this is the only 1/25 Superbird, I'm now thinking of building it stock. I'll have to see how I feel after I've done the S&M '69 and '70 Cudas and at least one of their GTXs or Road Runners. 

At any rate, yours is outstanding; thanks for showing it to us. Well done and model on! B)

Thanks Snake. I just airbrushed Testors Olds Engine blue and Testors Guards red. My next Sox & Martin is a 72 MPC Cuda kit!

DE36FA86-CA1D-4E1F-AD6B-92EDCE74D9E3.jpeg

E59AB4B9-9C9A-4A2B-B729-2D3996F81D70.jpeg

Edited by Sport Suburban

3 hours ago, Sport Suburban said:

Thanks Snake. I just airbrushed Testors Olds Engine blue and Testors Guards red. My next Sox & Martin is a 72 MPC Cuda kit!

DE36FA86-CA1D-4E1F-AD6B-92EDCE74D9E3.jpeg

E59AB4B9-9C9A-4A2B-B729-2D3996F81D70.jpeg

Sweet! I picked up a glue bomb JoHan '71 Cuda I'm gonna convert to the '70 using the parts from the new Revell kit, because I consider it more accurate.