Model Cars Magazine Forum

1951 Chevy for my dad

ismaelg

Hello,

First of 2019!  Well, this was supposed to be a Christmas gift but could not finish on time.   Long story short, I made this for my father.   He collects mostly diecasts but he has been searching for years for a 1951 Chevy with no luck.  So I decided to make him one. 

This is the poor AMT '51 kit in 1/25.  The kit is poor more than once.  Poorly engineered,  not very accurate, awful fit and on top of that a very poor copy with tons of flash, incompletely molded and off center parts.  I don't like AMT and this project confirmed it again.  Unfortunately, I was under a deadline so this is nowhere near what I would have liked to do.  It turned out ok for a shelf model sharing space with 1/18 diecasts.

Pretty much box stock. Added aluminum exhaust tip and wire antenna. Eliminated wheel pins and modified wheel backs to control wheel location. The car represents a mostly factory stock restoration in non-factory colors. 

You will see it before he does!  I'll present it to him probably by next week.

The story is "I took it to my Corvette shop for a detailing job" :)

2v2EeKYGCxJ21ND.jpg
Nassau blue lacquer (a 1956 color)  and white lacquer top.

2v2EeKYqgxJ21ND.jpg
Papi means "daddy" in Spanish.  But for some reason he always spells it Papy.    PR license plate. 

2v2EeKYdGxJ21ND.jpg

Box stock engine and interior

2v2EJ2eEgxJ21ND.jpg

2v2EEASDNxJ21ND.jpg

Here is a link to the progress thread.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/135785-1951-chevy-bel-air/

What do you think?

Thanks,

• Like 1

Thank you all for the nice comments!  Just talked to him over the phone and almost blew it mentioning this thread :)

15 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Funny.........someone that might not be familiar with Spanish might see the word Papas and think it means Dads, when in fact it's 'potatoes' plural. :D

Bill, it is funny:  papá means father, papa means potato and El Papa means the Pope :)

Nice job on the AMT - now here is a real project for you, Ismael! You can do a diecast for your father in 1:24 or 1:18 using this frequently ripped off Chinese 1950 Chevy. This is one in 1:24 that I cleaned up a little by getting rid of some of the excess trinkets (sun visor, bumper extensions, fog lights). All you have to do is update the rear fenders to '51 and a few dozen other upgrades. Good luck!

IMG_8004px800.JPG.3665e9656361918ff421846ebac38f6e.JPG