Model Cars Magazine Forum

'31 Ford Model A Pickup Hot Rod

traditional

I’ve just completed this little deep purple hot rod pickup using , with only a couple of minor exceptions, stuff languishing in my parts bin….things in desperate need of rescue.

The only exceptions were the photoetch grille, gage cluster, teardrop tail-lights, and license plate frame from a Model Car Garage Deuce PE detail set.

The Model A pickup body was mostly complete but many of its accessories were either broken or missing so it was a prime candidate for being modified into a traditional hot rod.

Like most traditional hot rodders, I much prefer the look of the Deuce (‘32 Ford) grill shell over any of the various Model A Ford grille shells and, fortunately, I have copious incomplete Revell deuce kits bought as parts suppliers mostly for their chrome reverse wheels and Covico style steering wheels, so I was able to use the grille shell as well as the simulated rubber running board detail from one of those.  Because of the different top contour of the Deuce shell compared to the Model A version, I fabricated a new engine hood top in sheet brass to accommodate the Deuce shell with the Model A cowl.

The motor is modified from a ‘parts-bin  ’57 Chevy 283 mated to an automatic transmission and the rear axle is one from a late 50s Chev pickup, complete with semi-elliptic leaf springs.

I chose to shorten the Model A pickup box a scale 5 inches (a typical hot-rodder’s trick),  the interior is  typical custom roll-n-pleat (seat formed from Renshape with the addition of model railroad styrene building-siding  to simulate the pleated upholstery), and a bed-mounted, handmade, polished aluminum fuel tank replaces the original (dangerous) Model A cowl gravity tank. The covered fender mounted spare wheel/tire is lathe-turned from Renshape, and the custom dual exhaust system is formed from polished aluminum tubing. The wheels are chrome reverse from Pegasus with ‘mystery’ tires from my parts bin.

The project has taken approximately one month, starting in December 2018, and finishing in early January 2019. The main paint is custom mixed deep pearl purple automotive basecoat/clearcoat.

1-P1030449.JPG

1-P1040467.JPG

1-P1040472.JPG

1-P1030450.JPG

1-PC270415.JPG

1-PC270418.JPG

1-PC270422.JPG

1-PC290425.JPG

1-PC300426.JPG

1-P1030440.JPG

1-P1040469.JPG

1-P1040470.JPG

1-P1040477.JPG

1-P1040478.JPG

Edited by traditional

Exceptional work!! Love it!

I've just started working with brass myself this year. It can be tricky but rewarding, and opens up many new possibilities. Any tips you wanna share? When you made the hood top, did you anneal the brass before forming it? How thick of material do you like to work with for body panels like that?

• 1 month later...

Cliff, the colour and proportions of this little truck are great. You mentioned that you employed a hot rodder's trick by shortening the box five scale inches. It looks perfect. I'm also noticing things like the body colour accents on the wheels, the chrome strip around the spare tire cover, and the high outside driver's rear view mirror, -very cool. Clicking on the link to open one of yours and Larry's posts makes me feel like a kid  opening up a present on Christmas morning!

Thanks for sharing.

Eric