Model Cars Magazine Forum

Brockway Water Wagon Updated Feb 2, 2019

Newest project (but not the only current one!) is a Brockway 761 cab from AITM on a Paystar 5000 chassis with a water tank from the Lindberg Dodge L700 kit.  Photo is a quick concept shot, lots to do to make all the pieces play together happily.

Now for the backstory.  A local contractor bought the cab and chassis at a salvage auction.  It had a mixer body on it but a rookie driver made a mistake and the soft ground at a site gave way.  A botched attempt to help with an excavator resulted in the fully loaded mixer rolling over on it's side, the weight of the full drum ripped it from the chassis.  Cab had some right side damage as well.  After purchase at the salvage sale, the local contractor was planning on putting a dump body and tag axle on it but soon found the frame had twisted in the wreck and it was beyond economical to repair.  Not road worthy, but it would work on a construction site, so it was decided to make it into a water wagon, using an old tank body that was no longer suitable for hauling fuel.  The mixer had a pto on the front which will be retained to run the water pump.  Cab damage was an easy fix and it will get a quickie paint job, so the interior of the cab will be the original color as some parts of the frame. 

168644728.jpg

Edited by Warren D

Haven't decided.  Might keep it for the front nozzles, the cab just came about 20 minutes ago, haven't even looked at the other parts in the box.  I like the look of "stuff" sitting out front of the bumper with construction equipment.

7 hours ago, TECHMAN said:

:):):)

Interesting project!!!  What engine/trans do you plan to use?

DJ

Probably the one from the Paystar5000.  I might have to change that to get the proper cab placement.  After some test fitting, I'll be using the Cummins inline  and trans that came with the kit.

Edited by Warren D

I think the Hale pump in the AMT ALF kits might be a bit big for the front of the truck.  At least I would chop off a couple of the discharge lines and go with just one or two which could be coupled to a spreader bar under the front bumper and at the back of the truck that would be used for dust control.  It would also need a means of powering the pump for pump and roll operations or it would be useless for dust applications.  JMHO!B)

6 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

I think the Hale pump in the AMT ALF kits might be a bit big for the front of the truck.  At least I would chop off a couple of the discharge lines and go with just one or two which could be coupled to a spreader bar under the front bumper and at the back of the truck that would be used for dust control.  It would also need a means of powering the pump for pump and roll operations or it would be useless for dust applications.  JMHO!B)

Thanks for the thoughts.  The deeper into this I get the more likely the pump will be mounted under the tank, to the passenger side.  Plenty of room with the long frame.  There will be enough going on up front with the discharge nozzles and associated plumbing.

In keeping with the backstory, I decided to keep the frame on the rough side.  I was going to give it a swim in the purple pond but I'm going to just primer it as is and see how it looks.  It's been stripped down and the front extensions removed along with a little extra so the cab and front bumper line up with the correct gap.

168676614.jpg

Cab castings have been cleaned up and primered.  Battery boxes, air tanks and fuel tanks are almost ready to install.  Cab needs to be located so far I like the fit, the block holding the cab back is a touch too tall.  It also prevents the tank from being as forward as it will be.  I will be raising the tank on the frame to accomodate the piping for the water distribution system.  Meanwhile, the interior will get some attention and cab painting will start in a couple days when the primer is dry.

168676616.jpg

168676618.jpg

Update, the chassis is more or less done, the pump was fabbed and added, I have to do the piping to the front.  Pump runs off a hydraulic motor, hydraulic pump is up front, about where it was on the mixer.  Tank is in color, as is the cab.  Interior to go along with cab accessories.

168711523.jpg

168711524.jpg

168711525.jpg

Have color on the cab and tank.  I've applied a lighter shade of the base color to the upper surfaces to try to show some age/chalking.  I'll be giving the same treatment with the gloss, the upper surfaces have dulled out in the sun while under surfaces retain their glossy look.    The gloss on the side of the tank is temporary base for decals.  When the decals set up, I'll hit it with flat finish.  I'll also be adding dirt/dust once it's all together.  Not a heavy weathering, just a light dusting.

168732168.jpg

168732167.jpg

Edited by Warren D

5 minutes ago, Chariots of Fire said:

In your photo of the tank and cab on the chassis it looks like the tank could slide forward just a tiny bit.  What do you think?

Yes, the wood block holding the back of the cab up is in the way, the stock cab support hadn't been removed at that point.  I mentioned that in the description.  Tank is now very close to the cab which puts it's center of gravity just forward of the middle of rear axles where it belongs.  I have to leave just enough room for the exhaust stack to fit in between.  Thankfully the tank end is convex which will help.