[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Carmak

Two different 73-74 Petty Charger bodies

I was sorting through so kits this week. I have two lightly started MPC Petty (73/74) Charger kits. Only one is in it's original box. Both are molded in Petty Blue.

The one in it's original box has all of the marker lights, door handles, rocker trim and emblems removed and it has a bulge hood.

The without a box has all of the marker lights, door handles, rocker trim and emblems intact and it has a flat hood. It also has the score line inside the body to cut out the bed for the custom wagon version of the stock 73/74 kit.

I have to assume that MPC wanted to sell a Petty Charger in 73 but did not want to cut up the body tooling since the they would need it for the 74 model year so they dropped a stone stock body in the kit in 73 and them modified the body tool after the run of stock 74 Chargers was done.

Has anyone else seen one of these kits with the stock body?

The Petty Charger wit the flat hood is a 72, all 73 and up had the power bulge hood. Look at the pic below and you will see that the qtr window sweeps to the rear. That was on 71 and 72 model years only. 73 and 74 the qtr window sweeps forward. Plus, all 73 up Petty cars have the dual stripes over the roof and hood. The 72 car used the hide a way head light covers too, the 73 up had the stock grill with screen over it.   Not sure why they would be cut to make a wagon, the Charger we never offered in a wagon version.

163582_475605535846493_1211732349_n.jpg

318612_200452060028510_882214159_n.jpg

One have to remember, they had several cars over the season and different cars for different tracks even then and they can be slightly different.

The stock molded-in-blue '73 body came with the late - '72 "Petty-Charger" kit. These always came with flat hoods. It had a photo on the box, of what I think was a '72 season car on the box, made to look like a '73, with mods to the rear side windows in the pictures used. These kits came with non-vented Holman-Moody style steel wheels, and the decals were without the red areas representing '72-'73 style graphics.  

The modified molded-in-blue body came with the later MPC Petty Charger kit - these kits had photos of a built model on the box, and always came with bulge hoods. The wheels were later 10-hole style wheels, and the decals were the '74-'77 style graphics with the huge red areas printed. This was more or less the same body that came with the K&K Insurance / Buddy Baker #71 '74 Charger kit (although the Baker kits came with a body molded in white).   

I recently bought 2 builtups of the kit , one with the stock body and one with the later Baker body but both were the 73 Petty Charger kit ! The later 76 Petty Charger with the one piece stripe decal was also the same Baker body as well. There was never a 72 Petty Charger offered except the Petty built #11 Dodge with the stock 72 body ! The paint stripes were the same in 72 and 73 ! In 74 the stripes went over the roof and hood and continued until the car’s last race in Riverside in 1978.