Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big Rig Build Off Entry List 2019, Rules and Updates

Here are the entries for the Big Rig Build Off 2019. I will add more as they are entered. I will also add what the build is once the contestant has decided.

Thanks to those who have entered. Let's have fun!

Contestants are:

1. Spruslayer                  Mack DM 600                                                                               Thread Started

2. landman                     Paystar 5000                                                                                Thread Started

3. gotnitro?                     Mack R Model                                                                              Thread Started

4. iamsuperdan             White Western Star with Fruehauf exterior post van              Thread Started

5. Goodwrench3            352 Peterbilt                                                                                 Thread Started

6. Mopar-D                      Mack DM800 with Heavy Haul                                                  Thread Started

7. Aaronw                       1958 Dodge W500                                                                       Thread Started

8. tbill                              Western Star 4964 with Fruehauf Flatbed                               Thread Started

9. PierreR89                   Scania T143 with tank trailer                                                     Thread Started

10. Oldmopars               IH S Series with Lowboy and Cat D8                                        Thread Started

11. stitchdup                  Man Formula 6 with Flatdeck                                                    Thread Started

12. jacobus                    Freightliner with Bottom Dump trailer                                      Thread Started

13. RipVan                      Mack DM 600                                                                               Thread Started

14. Rusty92                    1926 Mack                                                                                    Thread Started

15. DrKerry                      Peterbilt 359                                                                                Thread Started

16. amtrak115                International Prostar                                                                  Thread Started

17. k100                           Freightliner                                                                                  Thread Started

18. drinkone2                  IH Transtar CO-4070A                                                               Thread Started

19. BuilderX                     Mack Cruiseliner                                                                        Thread Started

20. guitarsam326           Mack R Model                                                                             Thread Started

21. Bennyg                       Mack F Model Australian                                                          Thread Started

22. dodgefever                Mack DM600 Dump                                                                   Thread Started

23. Chris541                    KW Needle Nose                                                                         Thread Started

24. Cowboy rich              KW K100 Double Bunk                                                               Thread Started

25. Sam I Am                   Chevrolet Titan 90                                                                      Thread Started

26. SpreadAxle                IH 4070B Transtar II with Trailmobile trailer                           Thread Started

27. signguy2108             Mack Cruiseliner Daycab                                                           Thread Started    

28. lwwoodss                  Freightliner LCF Tank Truck & Trailer                                       Thread Started                                                           

Contest Rules:

1. This is a Hobby so have fun!

2. Contest begins Feb.1 and ends Aug. 1. Judging will last for 7 days by forum members beginning Aug. 2, 2019.

3. 1/24 and 1/25 only. Bobtail Trucks, Truck and Trailer Combos, and Straight trucks are all fine.

4. No restrictions on aftermarket parts.

5. Must start with a new kit or new kit parts or a complete rebuild.

6.All entries must begin a thread in the "Workbench " section including a picture of what you're starting with, including the title "B.R.B.O." along with the title of what you're building on or before Feb.1 2019.

7. Monthly updates are required even if there has not been any progress. Failure to update will remove entry from competition.

8. A finished "B.R.B.O." thread must be posted on or before Aug. 1, 2019. A separate thread with a complete list of finished contestant will be posted for judging.

WINNER WILL RECEIVE A $25 STORE CREDIT AT A.I.T.M.

Thanks!! Happy Building!!

Brian

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

Mine will be a Paystar 500 with crane similar to the one in the photo. I haven't decided on the engine yet. The KFS crane was started for the L700 a while back. We decided it was too big so I had built the Effer instead. Does it still qualify?

2hpsubq.jpg

IMG_8325.jpg

26 minutes ago, landman said:

Mine will be a Paystar 500 with crane similar to the one in the photo. I haven't decided on the engine yet. The KFS crane was started for the L700 a while back. We decided it was too big so I had built the Effer instead. Does it still qualify?

2hpsubq.jpg

IMG_8325.jpg

Pat, you're starting with a completely new truck kit, and your accessory that you are adding to it has been partially started. The thing about add-ons is that they come in a wide variety of completions, some of the 3-d printed stuff has less assembly than styrene, so I don't have a problem if no-one else does. I'll put this one down.

26 minutes ago, Goodwrench3 said:

I'm in too -- if it's OK.  It's the same kit as I planned on doing last year -- the IH 4270.

I'll be sure to post pics of the very limited progress I made last year and you can let me know if it's OK or not to enter.

Thanks!

Jeff, I went through your build thread and the only things that I see assembled are the engine (partially) and transmission. Like I told Pat, if you were using an aftermarket parts such as an engine or trans you might be starting at the same point. I don't see a problem unless you have more completed than what I see. If someone else has a problem they can let me know. So just let me know which one that you choose; 352 or 4270.

I'm just trying to keep things fair for everyone without being hard to get along with. :D

If a Class 6 truck (19,500-26,000lbs) is big enough I'm in with a 1958 Dodge W500. SE Ltd (I think) resin cab and lots of scratchbuilding / kit bashing. It might be a little ambitious of a project for only 6 months but I've got a 1-1 available for reference and about a month to plan it out before we start.

11 hours ago, Aaronw said:

If a Class 6 truck (19,500-26,000lbs) is big enough I'm in with a 1958 Dodge W500. SE Ltd (I think) resin cab and lots of scratchbuilding / kit bashing. It might be a little ambitious of a project for only 6 months but I've got a 1-1 available for reference and about a month to plan it out before we start.

You're in.

Well, I'm in. For right now put me down for a ERTL International F2674 with lowboy flat bed and a Cat DH8 Dozer. All of these will be complete rebuilds from original kits that are in bad need of rebuilds. I got them as part of a collection of stuff and I love the combination that they will make, I just hope I have the time to rebuild all 3.

IMG_0379x2.JPG

4 hours ago, tbill said:

Oh, I am so looking forward to seeing how these last two posts of builds turn out! Great stuff guys!

Honestly, I am too. I love these models, but rebuilding them is going to be a real challenge. I have not done a lot with glue bombs. Lucky for me these are not real bad. 

As for that Scania PeirreR89 is doing, I think that is going to be great. Love those trucks. 

On 1/4/2019 at 9:09 PM, Goodwrench3 said:

Thanks -- just to keep things simple, I'll go with starting the new, un-opened Pete 352 kit (bobtail).

Regards,

Jeff

Love that KFS crane kit.  How dear was the shipping from England?

13 minutes ago, landman said:

Stephen, it is cheaper to ship  from England to Canada than it is from the US. So From England to US should be good too.

Shipping to the US is more than it is to Canada (about a third to half more). I think it's something to do with Canada being part of the commonwealth as shipping to Australia is cheaper too. If oyu look on the kfs website the shipping is listed somewhere on it