Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Plymouth GTX Johan kit

Sport Suburban

This was a beautiful build and I really liked it and this is how I bought it. Originally I was going to add the side stripes, change out the magnum 500 wheels and red lines. They went onto my 69 GTX Johan that I didn't have wheels for. I had the Johan Rallye wheels but no tires. Tires are AMT. Last thing was to rechrome the chrome items. They were painted and looked decent. Once I took it apart I damaged some paint and decided I would strip it and remove the antenna. It snowballed from that point. Once I stripped the body it came out real clean but the vinyl top trim was applied over the primer and just fell off the body. So did a small piece of trim added to the trunk panel. So I decided to redo the added trim and re paint in the same color but from Scale Finishes. It is a little darker and cleared with automotive clear. The interior only has some hilights added and the chassis and engine have some small changed but mostly untouched. 

70 GTX 02c.jpg

70 GTX 02f.jpg

Fabulous! You took a very nice model and made it even better! Good for you! I wouldn't have had the guts. B)

14 minutes ago, kelson said:

Nice looking Mopar!,Johan defineately got the placement of the front bumper more correct than Revells.

I've always thought the Revell body was just too deep, or tall--like it needs to be sectioned an inch or two. I have a nice 1/25 diecast '70 GTX in Go Mango that fits right in on my 1/25 Mopar shelf, but its body was obviously copied from the 1/24 Revell kit and shares the same "too tall" look. :(