Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 GTO Convertible

Sport Suburban

Here is one of my grail kits that I finally was able to build. It's a 68 GTO convertible MPC kit and the one I had a hard time getting. It is painted Verdoro Green by Scale Finishes with automotive clear coat. Interior is light lime green. Chrome was restored by Chrome Tech and everything else is strait forward restoration. I'm real happy with how this one came out! I did add mirrors from an AMT kit. I think they are from the 69 Olds 442 kit.

68 GTO Convertible a.JPG

68 GTO Convertible b.JPG

68 GTO Convertible c.JPG

68 GTO Convertible d.JPG

68 GTO Convertible e.JPG

68 GTO Convertible h.JPG

Here is what I started with. Mostly original unpainted kit that I bought off eBay. Funny little story to go with it. A few years back I contacted Shawn Carpenter to see if he was still selling his resin kits and wanted on of his 68 GTO convertible kits. He got back to me and let me know he no longer was selling that kit. I kept looking for a good rebuilder and after a few years this shows up on eBay and I go for it. I paid a premium but it was all there and needed almost nothing. When I was sending payment I noticed the seller was the very same Shawn Carpenter and this was from his personal collection that he was slimming down. The cowl is resin along with one wheel. Everything else is original plastic.

68 GTO conv 1a.JPG

68 GTO conv 1b.JPG

68 GTO conv 1c.JPG

Beautifully done, sir! Looks very well detailed, and well executed! Instrument panel looks so real!

I built one of these in '68. I used the bubble top, of course, being only 13 years old at the time. Painted it with the closest paint TESTORS had to this color you used! Needless to say, This build is light years better than the one I did! 

Raoul, you did a FANTASTIC job on what is a holy grail kit of mine! I don't think I'll ever be able to get one of those at a reasonable price, so I've got the bits and pieces to turn Monogram's '68 into a convertible sometime.

And yes, Verdoro green is one of my FAVORITE colors for any '68 GTO or Firebird! :wub:

15 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Raoul, you did a FANTASTIC job on what is a holy grail kit of mine! I don't think I'll ever be able to get one of those at a reasonable price, so I've got the bits and pieces to turn Monogram's '68 into a convertible sometime.

And yes, Verdoro green is one of my FAVORITE colors for any '68 GTO or Firebird! :wub:

What he said! :wub:

I"m not a convertible fan, but I've restored two genuine "survivor" MPC '68 GTO HTs--one built by me, one by someone else--both painted blue. Couple years ago I managed to score a resin repro of the '68 HT promo body and I plan to build it up in Verdoro Green. While I've got the airbrush loaded up with the stuff, the plan is to also do a Monogram 1/24 '68 and a Revell '68 Firebird the same color for a Verdoro Green trifecta. 

As usual, well done and model on! B)