Model Cars Magazine Forum

Attn:Question for Greg H. owner of Model cars mag

A day short and a dollar late

I didn't see this post till now

I agree with 99.9287% of the replies here.

PayPal is not bad, but there are some problems with it.

When I use the card to travel with (the PayPal debit card), they put holds on the funds and don't release them until sometimes weeks later.

I don't like getting hit three times with fees from eVil Bay, yes, three. Listing, selling, and PayPal.

And what gets me is that if something doesn't sell, you still get charged.

They are making money, tons of it, off of nothing!

Wish I had that idea years ago

Now, the million dollar question, trivia time.

What did eBay originally stand for, what was the original URL, and what color hair do I have now?

Mad Hatter, I applaud your life-style!

Wish I could do that

Maybe instead of trying to buy a $650K house here, I should go back to the basics, find a quaint place in the hills, maybe Ohio or Kentucky, and live the life of no worries.

sounds like a plan.

But then, eVil Bay will probably find a way to charge me fees for just thinking about it.

Guest promodmerc
A paypal account is free, and as far as I know there is no paypal fee when you buy or sell. I've never been charged a fee, and I've bought from ebay with paypal dozens of times. Is a paypal fee something new? I've never seen it.

It is free to buy but PayPal charges a certain percentage to the seller for the transaction. I think it's around 5%. That can add up quickly in profit lost.

I just buy now as I don't have anything to sell. If at all possible I will only buy from someone that takes PayPal as it is a lot more convenient

I've been using Paypal ever since I started using E-Bay and I've never had a problem. I've never sold on E-Bay and I dont buy a lot,(about 15 or 20 items per year) So maybe I've just been lucky. I really like the convenience. Usually if the seller doesn't accept paypal, I wont even bid on the item, Unless its something that I really want. But all of my paypal experiences have been good.

Ed

Exactly, that is what has every one tweakked is that ebay is getting greedy. And no I dont keep my money in a shoe box under my bed. I kkeep it in socks between my matresses :P . But really I keep it ina safe at home that is well concealed, fire proof up to about 90min. and i change the combo about twice a month. And if ya want it bad enough just keep in mind you'll prolly have to take a good chunkk of my home with ya to get it B) When I installed it we welded six 4ft long pieces of rebar to the backk of it and set it in about 4 inches of concrete. Add in the alarm system and when I'm home I have a shotgun close by. Anybody want directions? :D

Not directions, but just 2 more hints. We can find it from there, by triangulation. LOL

I've been using Paypal ever since I started using E-Bay and I've never had a problem. I've never sold on E-Bay and I dont buy a lot,(about 15 or 20 items per year) So maybe I've just been lucky. I really like the convenience. Usually if the seller doesn't accept paypal, I wont even bid on the item, Unless its something that I really want. But all of my paypal experiences have been good.

Ed

That pretty much sums up my experience, however, I've had one deal going bad.

Montana, there you go Gregg and your closer but no more Hawaiian weather or beaches or weather or the Luaus! :P

So paypal/ebay isn't the bad guy here...the IRS is. Gee, what a surprise! B)

Funny, they always end up the bad guy..

yeeeeeup! :P:D

Don't know if he's my pal but he looks like he'd be easy to deal with.... ;)

Edited by Nick F40

This topic has been cussed and discussed ad infinitum on the Spotlight Hobbies message board and I'm sure countless others too.

Paypal is awesome. Just go open a free checking account that is SEPARATE from the bank and account that you do your everyday banking. Link this one to your Paypal account. I've done this for five years with no problem You can also get a Paypal debit card, which you can use in an ATM to withdraw money from Paypal. If you sell and take Paypal, you can transfer money to the linked bank account and you get the money in 3-4 days.

If people want to participate in today's e-commerce world, they need to drop the 18th century methods of payment and embrace Paypal. I understand not wanting it forced on you. But, if you read Ebay's complete statement, it reads, "items paid with check or money order are 80% more likely to result in an item not received (INR) than those paid with credit card or PayPal. Also, buyers who pay with check or money order are 50% more likely to leave negative feedback than those who pay with electronic methods".

The vast majority of Ebay problems involve payments with other than a credit card or Paypal. Ebay is eliminating a source of frustration for themselves and the buyers and sellers there. That's a smart move IMHO.

I think those that are complaining about this change are definitely in the minority. If the cost of Paypal is a problem, raise your prices to cover the expense. Three percent is a small price to pay to receive instant payment and the guaranties for both buyers and sellers that Paypal offers. Add up the cost of driving to the store to purchase the money order, the cost of the MO, envelope and postage to mail said MO, the cost of your time doing these activities, and the time to wait to see if your MO arrives, it will far outweigh the Paypal fee. Just hope that the MO doesn't get lost in the mail and you need to replace it. It will cost you anywhere from $15-25 to stop pay and get your money back. I know, because I did this last year. Better keep your receipts too. Want to have proof that the seller received your MO? It will cost you about $5.50 to send Certified Mail with return receipt. Paypal now looks like the bargain of the century.

This topic has been cussed and discussed ad infinitum on the Spotlight Hobbies message board and I'm sure countless others too.

Paypal is awesome. Just go open a free checking account that is SEPARATE from the bank and account that you do your everyday banking. Link this one to your Paypal account. I've done this for five years with no problem You can also get a Paypal debit card, which you can use in an ATM to withdraw money from Paypal. If you sell and take Paypal, you can transfer money to the linked bank account and you get the money in 3-4 days.

If people want to participate in today's e-commerce world, they need to drop the 18th century methods of payment and embrace Paypal. I understand not wanting it forced on you. But, if you read Ebay's complete statement, it reads, "items paid with check or money order are 80% more likely to result in an item not received (INR) than those paid with credit card or PayPal. Also, buyers who pay with check or money order are 50% more likely to leave negative feedback than those who pay with electronic methods".

The vast majority of Ebay problems involve payments with other than a credit card or Paypal. Ebay is eliminating a source of frustration for themselves and the buyers and sellers there. That's a smart move IMHO.

I think those that are complaining about this change are definitely in the minority. If the cost of Paypal is a problem, raise your prices to cover the expense. Three percent is a small price to pay to receive instant payment and the guaranties for both buyers and sellers that Paypal offers. Add up the cost of driving to the store to purchase the money order, the cost of the MO, envelope and postage to mail said MO, the cost of your time doing these activities, and the time to wait to see if your MO arrives, it will far outweigh the Paypal fee. Just hope that the MO doesn't get lost in the mail and you need to replace it. It will cost you anywhere from $15-25 to stop pay and get your money back. I know, because I did this last year. Better keep your receipts too. Want to have proof that the seller received your MO? It will cost you about $5.50 to send Certified Mail with return receipt. Paypal now looks like the bargain of the century.

Well said Marc, I agree

Ed

A paypal account is free, and as far as I know there is no paypal fee when you buy or sell. I've never been charged a fee, and I've bought from ebay with paypal dozens of times. Is a paypal fee something new? I've never seen it.

Harry--

As a seller on Ebay and a one who accepts PayPal, when someone pays for their item with Paypal, say it was $20, the $20 is deposited into my PayPal account, but I only received $19.78 (rough guess). Paypal (nee Ebay) charges me a service fee for using/accepting PayPal payments. I don't particularly care for it, but as someone mentioned, it's the 'cost of doing business'. Let's see- auction listing fee + final selling value fee + PayPal use fee= less $$ in my pocket, which makes Momma unhappy! :P

Al

Harry--

As a seller on Ebay and a one who accepts PayPal, when someone pays for their item with Paypal, say it was $20, the $20 is deposited into my PayPal account, but I only received $19.78 (rough guess). Paypal (nee Ebay) charges me a service fee for using/accepting PayPal payments. I don't particularly care for it, but as someone mentioned, it's the 'cost of doing business'. Let's see- auction listing fee + final selling value fee + PayPal use fee= less $$ in my pocket, which makes Momma unhappy! :P

Al

I still dont see how Ebay can force sellers to use paypal. I just dont understand how they are gonna enforce it. Yeh sellers might have to sighn up for a free paypal account but it dont mean they hafta use it. If the seller and I agree to a money order as payment how is ebay even gonna kknow about it. I think there plan is full of holes and they dont have enough plugs for all of em. And just so its kknown I've never had a bad experience with paypal I just choose not to use it.