Model Cars Magazine Forum
alan barton

Mickey Thompson 69 Mustang Mach 1 Funnycar x 2!

Me too Tim  I need to have this finished by September and the days are flying past!  I have had a constructive few hours tonight, adding new bars to the frame.  I also have the axle looking reasonable.  If it all fits up in the morning when everything is nice and dry and solid, I will try and tack it in place and get the rear end setup.  I figure once it is on wheels I am on the trip to the finish line. Still a lot of fabricating, sanding and priming to go!

I have already decided to make a few compromises on strict accuracy in the interest of durability.  This puppy has a long trip to California in its future!

Thanks everyone for watching.

Cheers

Alan

IMG_2402.JPG

IMG_2404.JPG

IMG_2405.JPG

Here's the axle so far, scratchbuilt from Evergreen.  This is really testing me, probably some of the smallest parts I have ever tried to cut, shape and join!manipulate

IMG_2406.JPG

Thanks again everyone, I made reasonable progress this week but the pressure is definitely on!  I got the frame into primer last night and hopefully colour tonight if it is not raining when I get home.  The mods I made to the front of the frame seem to be working OK and I have gone with a compromised rear arrangement to save time and to gain rigidity.  Hope to have more updates, on wheels maybe, by the end of the weekend.

Cheers

Alan

IMG_2439.JPG

IMG_2441.JPG

Thanks Andy, I need all the support I can get!  This is categorically the most challenging project I have ever undertaken!  It seems that even though it looks like your average funnycar chassis, absolutely nothing works out of the box.

The good news is, just this minute I got it on wheels so I am going to take a moment for an update.  I sprayed the chassis in Tamiya gloss black acrylic yesterday and kept working on other parts until a few hours ago. I fitted the rear axle after chroming it with my beloved molotow pen. I then added two disc brakes using small flat washers I found out in my garage.  I also cut and filed two pieces of plastic in the shape of calipers and glued them on but, alas, you can barely see them through the rims! Still, better than seeing fresh air through there I guess.  I also made two flat plates for rear end mounts and glued them in place after spraying with Tamiya gloss aluminium.

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG

IMG_2775.JPG

IMG_2776.JPG

Next up was the front brakes.  Another case of building everything twice.  Yesterday, I prepared some Revell funnycar calipers by adding a small slice of plastic to the centre of the caliper and then painting them flat black with silver bolts - they looked great and very similar to the 1:1.  While looking for more flat washers to use for correctly sized disc rotors, I stumbled on some shakeproff washers.  Turns out these are just the shot for the lightweight Willwood discs.  Woohoo!

I assembled the wheels, painted the back of them in a magnesium mix of Humbrol silver and Revell flat black enamels and waited for everything to dry. When I went to assemble everything, I found that the calipers overlapped the wheels rims.  Yuk!!! Close investigation revealed I had used rims that were far to thick in cross section.  Because I am eventually to build two of these I have two of most of the major components.  This time I used inners from the old AMT Model A roadster custom wheels after heavily thinning them in thickness with a file and then in cross section with an Xacto.  After some sanding I reassembled and repainted the new set of rims.  I grabbed a second set of Revell calipers, sanding off 1/2 a mm here, 1/2 a mm there, until they looked like they would fit inside the rims.  I also elongated the centre hole to allow for some wriggle room. I reassembled the lot, popped them on the spindles and happy days, they fitted.  Hey, it was only a few hours lost!

IMG_2781.JPG

IMG_2798.JPG

IMG_2800.JPG

Gee, those close-up photos reveal a few sins, eh?  Looks like I'm going back in for a bit of cleanup!

The Monogram funnycar seat was nearly right for the job - hey, by this stage I'm not expecting ANYTHING to be right from the start!  I opened up the seatbelt holes and removed and filled the headrest area.  I also made up some side tins that will need more trimming before they go on the chassis. I made a weight bar from a piece of polished K&S aluminium with two tiny endcaps superglued on.  It was nice to do a simple straight forward bit of fab for a change!  I then glued  the stock Monogram fire extinguishers in place.

At last it was time to see of I could install the completely scratchbuilt front end.  I started to offer the arms up and ,oh wait, the real car has the fire extinguishers mounted lower so now the trailing arms hit them! So I popped the extinguishers off, snipped away the mounts and trimmed off the remnants and mounted them off the lower frame rail.

I then assembled the front end.  Sounds easy but I think an hour disappeared before it was done.  All the joints are pinned with tiny dressmaking pins.  I have a bit of a forward caster issue , caused by the lack of movement in the joints - where are those fully functional 1/25th scale Heim ends when you need them?  But hey, she's on wheels! I've included a photo of the real frame for comparison.

Cheers

Alan

IMG_2801.JPG

IMG_2804.JPG

IMG_2805.JPG

IMG_2806.JPG

IMG_3724.JPG

Edited by alan barton