Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model A Phaeton TROG Car Is Finished PIX

Tom Geiger

I gave one teaser shot with my 2018 end of the year report, as I finished it up that afternoon. I did make some final adjustments on New Year's Day.

IMG_1185-vi.jpg

I originally wanted to finish this one for my birthday in September, as I hit a certain milestone. It was not to be, so I took my time and enjoyed the build. This one started out as an original issue, parts kit that someone had started. I found it along with an original '62 Nova convertible kit on some obscure sales site on the Internet. I bought both kits for $22 plus postage. The lady selling it emailed me that she couldn't sell them because she discovered they were incomplete and started. It took a few emails to assure her that it was very okay!

The original release had a few parts that are long discontinued.. the tonneau cover, the roll bar, the cycle fenders and low mounted headlights. That's why I just had to use them all!

IMG_1186-vi.jpg

I cut down the windshield and then the roll bar to match. The flying horse decal was in the original kit. I was very careful to coat them with Testors decal fixative prior to attempting using it. I was relieved when they slid off the carrier sheet into place! But not without some yellowing, I guess that comes with the territory. I made the number decals on my inkjet. You can see the skull shifter in this photo, this was also in the original issue and is just too cool not to use!

IMG_1187-vi.jpg

The kit comes with four cycle fenders, I just used the rear ones in this build. Those are the Red Chariot parts, if I come across another pair I'd love to build that version of the Phaeton too. I was originally going with all red wheels, but in the end they needed something. I used my Molotow pen to add chrome caps on them.

IMG_1188-vi.jpg

These are the kit tail lights, so I used them on the mounting bumps provided. I just noticed the right side fender is crooked in these photos, no worries as they are not glued on yet. I added a chrome exhaust tip. The tonneau cover is held in place with the same double sided clear tape I use for windows.

IMG_1212-vi.jpg

The original kit came with the stock four cylinder engine, as I was building a TROG car I wanted to use it since the Chevy engine in later versions wouldn't qualify. I wanted to wire the engine, and did my best at it. Of course right after I did so, I saw where someone had a better idea. So be it. I did add a coil on the firewall.

IMG_1189-vi.jpg

IMG_1213-vi.jpg

And as usual, my simple builds go down the merry path to overcomplicatus! That's when I got the evil idea to add a real wood floor. A couple of tries with bass wood later, it looks pretty good so I'm happy I did it.

IMG_1214-vi.jpg

Chassis view to show off the wood floor.

IMG_1216-vi.jpg

Top view with hood in place. Finally after my third build of a Monogram Model A, I got the hood fitting procedure down! Still it's not perfect, and took a bunch of sanding on the inside to make it sorta fit.

IMG_1217-vi.jpg

And here we are with the hood in place, along with a friend. I had both of these As on the bench at the same time. I finished up the blue coupe in time for the Liars show in November. I sacrificed finishing this one at the same time to get that one done in time for the show.

IMG_1239-vi.jpg

And the entire family to date. I've gone off on a tangent with this kit series, and have a few more versions in my head. No show winners here, just having fun. These kits do have their quirks and ill fitting but they are fun and nostalgic. This Phaeton turned out exactly how I envisioned it so the voices in my head are pleased.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

Someone asked about the rear tires,  I should've mentioned it but they've been on the car so long it just looks normal to me!

They came from the MPC '28 Lincoln Phaeton kit.  I had to carve on them a bit to fit on the Model A wheels, but they work very well.

• 4 months later...

mid%20nnl%202019.jpg

I just came across this Under Glass thread and thought I'd add this as the finale.  I was shocked when they announced my name! 

I did display the car without the rear fenders (they are just press fit) since TROG doesn't allow fenders in their rules.

I don't build for competition anymore, just for my own enjoyment. I did build it with this show's theme in mind but just to participate.

I had never won a theme award before!

My thanks to the Mama Organization, Ron Bradley who was the award sponsor and everyone who voted for my car!

And now my friend Bill and I are planning on attending the TROG races in Wildwood, NJ this fall!   

image.png.7ac56bf3818ead7d81d7a03608fabf30.png

Edited by Tom Geiger

1 hour ago, TooOld said:

Love the traditional look and all of your extra details really add to it !  Excellent work ! :wub:

Thank you!  I've been told that the car has "the look", color scheme and style.  That's what wins in People's Choice.

It's not that complicated or detailed a model.  It's an original 1962 release of the kit that had the parts like the toneau cover, cycle fenders and frame mounted headlights.  It was started and I had to undo all the little kid work.  The chassis is absolutely stock from the box. I wired the engine. I added bigger rear tires from the '28 Lincoln kit.  I chopped the windshield and roll bar. I added the wood floor.   The hubs are Molotov pen.  

It was a simple and fun build.  Which is why I'm really enjoying this old Monogram kit series.

Edited by Tom Geiger