Model Cars Magazine Forum

2011 LeMans winning C6R GT2

Hello,

Anybody that is somehow familiar with sports car racing series like IMSA and FIA LeMans in the last 20 years or so knows about the successful Corvette Racing team. They started in 1999 with the C5R and have evolved with the road car to the C6R and current C7R.  However,  not everybody is aware that there were actually 2 generations of C6R.   The C6R debuted in 2005 and continued the C5R domination in the GT1 category in IMSA.  However, by 2008,  they were so dominant, competition started to fade away.    So Corvette Racing decided to move from  GT1  to the GT2 category looking ahead at the new for 2010 GT class regulations.  While the GT1 was based on the Z06, the new GT2 C6R would be based on the ZR1, the flagship of the brand.  Debuting in mid season 2009,  as preparation for a full 2010 season, this second generation C6R had to comply with the GT2 rules.  The frame of the car was aluminum instead of steel, the engine was smaller and was down about 100 horsepower compared to the GT1.  Mandated steel rotors replaced ceramic rotors. The windshield was now a production unit and aerodynamics were different, with far less downforce when compared to the GT1 car.  Continuous improvements helped the team to continue the success until it was replaced with the C7R in 2014.  One of those success stories was a win in the GTE Pro category at the 2011 24 Hours of Le Mans....  And that's why we are here.

Here is a pic of the 2011 LeMans winner
2v2EERFwJxJ21ND.jpg

There are no model kits of the GT2 C6R that I'm aware of.  I had the idea of doing one maybe combining a Revell  ZR1 and a C6R but that would have been a lot of work.  

In a strike of luck,  I came across a cheap Corvette friction toy that shared the body with another cheap RC toy.  I noticed it said "Corvette C6R" and  "Licensed by GM".  Looked at it and lo and behold it looks like a GT2 C6R body.  So I bought it. Actually bought all 3 but that's another story. 

2v2EesibdxJ21ND.jpg

Without much hope, I took it to the workbench and before I knew it, it was disassembled and the body took an overnight  swim in brake fluid. I went with the white plastic car instead of the yellow for obvious reasons.  The proportions look ball park good and it seems it may be a starting point for something, with a lot of work.

So this is a very long shot and there are plenty of things I'll need to worry about down the road. But for now, let's see if I can get to first base with it.
A C6R kit will be the donor of many parts in this. 

2v2EH4P5FxJ21ND.jpg

The body is plastic and while it seems to be styrene, it is softer and more flexible than a kit's body.  Maybe because it is intended to bump into things as an RC car.   The mirrors are rubber and hopeless so they were discarded.  I thought the body was a one piece slammer style but to my surprise, the one piece glass is just a black molded piece.

Here comes bodywork like if there's no tomorrow!

Thanks,

Corvettes are some of my favorite race cars so I will definitely be watching this one.  I had a similar project in mind but was also thinking of using the Burago die-cast as a source for parts.

This print hangs over my desk so I have a source of inspiration.

YS Corvette C6.R.jpeg

Hello,

My plan is to attack bodywork in several rounds. 

Round 1: Open what is closed but needs to be opened
Round 2: Close what is open but needs to be closed (screw holes, mirror locators etc)
Round 3: Real bodywork alterations

Let's fast forward about a week's worth of cutting.  Of course these will need to be reviewed and adjusted, but round 1 is done:

2v2EeCiAnxJ21ND.jpg

2v2EeCiBqxJ21ND.jpg

2v2EeCitdxJ21ND.jpg

2v2EeCiYyxJ21ND.jpg

2v2EeCi75xJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Hello,

Filled the gigantic mirror holes (see pics above) by stacking and gluing styrene strips.  Body filler was added and finished sanding smooth.  After all bodywork is complete,  primer will reveal the true progress but that is still a long way ahead.

2v2EZJ8fCxJ21ND.jpg

2v2EZJ8ALxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Ismael -- Great start on this! I'll b following -- I had the same idea, and purchased the white friction model as well, I'm planing on doing the 2013 car with 60th anniversary livery, from Pattos Place. Also will use the C7R kit for mirrors, wings etc.

best of luck!

Al

Hello,

Getting deeper into body mods.  Getting the overall shape with styrene strips into the ballpark before finishing with putty.  The rear diffuser was redesigned for 2011.

2v2EZ6VZMxJ21ND.jpg

2v2EZ6V6oxJ21ND.jpg

2v2EZ6VkMxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Edited by ismaelg

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Because of the subject I have a detailed thread active on the race car models forum.  So I haven't updated this one in a while.  Here is a summary of the latest updates:

Looking at this car, something is bothering me. Something doesn't look right.  And that is the tail lights.  They are too big,  too round and too low.  So I'm looking at possible ways to fix it.  This snap Corvette had already donated the decklid for a full detailed C6 convertible a long time ago.  So I cut the rear bumper.  The idea is to trim close to the taillights and somehow graft it into the GT2 body.  Most likely they will be separated as 2 pieces: left and right. 
2v2E1WrVTxJ21ND.jpg

2v2E1WrhSxJ21ND.jpg

2v2E1WrCVxJ21ND.jpg

2v2E1j5znxJ21ND.jpg

2v2E1jNoqxJ21ND.jpg

2v2E1jN2FxJ21ND.jpg

2v2E1zR2yxJ21ND.jpg

2v2E1zR35xJ21ND.jpg

Measured a million times to ensure proper location. Now I need to fill the surgery scars with putty so I can smooth and blend everything together...

Thanks,

• 3 months later...

Thanks Josh!

I still haven't looked at the headlights but most likely will look into the Revell C6R kit.  But before that, I'll look into the toy's unit to see if there is anything usable.

Thanks,
Ismael

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...