Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 69 Camaro

RDean58

I started this one I don't know how long ago, probably around 2015 or so. Anyway, playing with the Yenko Nova and 68 Chevelle I thought I'd get Chevy's other heavy hitter back.

69_Camaro_a.jpg

What is funny is I compared this body to the AMT 68 Camaro, and I think the AMT version looks a little smaller than it should be.

69_Camaro_b.jpg

What do you guys think?

14 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I've always thought the AMT 67/68 was a tad bigger than the 69 Revell. Comparing the 69 to a 68 in real life, the 68 looks smaller and shorter? but they have the same dimensions so I guess it's an illusion. lol...

The Revell '69 is wider than any other 1/25 1G Camaro. The MPC Camaros are the narrowest. The AMT '67 annual, AMT "new" '67-'68, and Revell '68 Firebird are all pretty much the same width. 

I got some new paint on this Camaro this morning. I shot a few coats of Tamiya TS-79 Mica Silver and Testors' "wet Look" clear over it.  It's nice and shiny now :-)

69_Camaro_c.jpg

69_Camaro_d.jpg

69_Camaro_e.jpg

69_Camaro_f.jpg

I also did some work on the interior. Tamiya TS-29 semi gloss black with some Ken's fuzzy fur #102, I think it is gun metal but not sure.

69_Camaro_g.jpg

I have to get some newer BMF to attempt the door panels thought.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

69_Camaro_c.jpg

Looking good. Some of your images have a slightly "purple touch" to them although clearly you are using silver. So I guess it's only reflections showing on those images. Anyway, I just held my breath because of that as I am currently doing the same kit - but I am actually using a metallic purple color! I would have found it odd (and maybe to much to bear for the forum...) if two guys built a purple '69 Camaro at the same time... :D

Nope, not the ZL-1. This one is going to be a small block 302 with the single intake manifold from the 69 Nova kit and the Nova stock exhaust. I know, something different than the cross-ram with chambered exhaust that this kit comes with.

69_Camaro_h.jpg

• Like 1

Some more pics of the Camaro. Yes, I messed up the fender while I was test fitting the frame and interior in. I'm not going to repaint, just try and fill in the gouges with some Humbrol Metallic silver.

69_Camaro_i.jpg

69_Camaro_j.jpg

69_Camaro_k.jpg

69_Camaro_l.jpg

I still need to do some more painting on the grille to get it to look right.

Thanks for looking, comments welcomed.

13 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

69_Camaro_c.jpg

Looking good. Some of your images have a slightly "purple touch" to them although clearly you are using silver. So I guess it's only reflections showing on those images. Anyway, I just held my breath because of that as I am currently doing the same kit - but I am actually using a metallic purple color! I would have found it odd (and maybe to much to bear for the forum...) if two guys built a purple '69 Camaro at the same time... :D

With my copies of this kit (I have the convertible and the B/M green Camaro) I have found that you need to have everything exactly perfect for the body to set in the frame straight enough that the tires fit in the wheel wells correctly. I even trimmed off some of the outside of the fender wells to get the frame to fit into the body easier. I finally did get this one to set in properly but it is still a big pain.  Good luck with yours!

Oh, I gave up on the one copy of the convertible, lost the decals etc. so I ordered another one plus the Yenko  version that is being marketed as the Fast and Furious one. I have all the movies and like them, but I did not get the kit to replicate the movie car, even though I will be painting my copy blue. I love that color on a Camaro.

10 hours ago, RDean58 said:

With my copies of this kit (I have the convertible and the B/M green Camaro) I have found that you need to have everything exactly perfect for the body to set in the frame straight enough that the tires fit in the wheel wells correctly. I even trimmed off some of the outside of the fender wells to get the frame to fit into the body easier. I finally did get this one to set in properly but it is still a big pain.  Good luck with yours!

I see what you mean. As proper wheel stance is such an important thing on a kit but yet so hard to achieve by building the kit instructions-style, I have been using a different method since quite some time now. I dare to say I probably won't need any luck with that because it's rather "idiot-proof". B) If you are interested in more details, I will show some photos once I'm in the process of doing the wheels one of these days. 

Edited by Tommy124