Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meyers Manx - 70's Metalflake Beach Buggy

Impalow

I finally finished something! 

This started as a dare/quick Box Stock project that went down a rabbit hole, I'm pretty happy with the results especially considering the funky old simplified kit. 

Here are some of the details:

Paint= Duplicolor T-218 Midnight blue base with Painthuffer Metalflake "Micro Heisenberg" .004 dry flake sprayed in a carrier clear.  Then a few healthy coats of automotive urethane clear. Headlights from Revell 1929 Model A, hood emblem is a  prototype piece from Gary Kulchock

Interior= Custom printed lotus flower pattern decals, piping from blue detail wire, Detailmaster photo-etched gauge surrounds and faces, scratch-built riser blocks under front seats.

Wheels and Tires= Keystone Mags from AMT 1957 Chevy,  Lips added to rears to increase offset, Alclad chrome finish, Big and Little white letter tires from Round2 Mustang.

Engine= Stripped all chrome kit engine, carbs from Tamiya lotus super7, velocity stacks made from wire ferrules, scratch-built exhaust with megaphones made from paintbrushes, lathe turned pulleys, belt from electrical tape, wired/detailed and photo-etched bolt headed.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_E0544.thumb.JPG.ebe5292382fcbf551998e4c2dcdc6f41.JPGIMG_E0543.thumb.JPG.b56075ccdc9fff50651d1293726ef957.JPGIMG_E0545.thumb.JPG.110ee09a8e380856ab3039717ce93154.JPGIMG_E0548.thumb.JPG.2206ccad8a46381fda35a1f21e37c95d.JPGIMG_E0549.thumb.JPG.4085a1339fa6c3d1d654e1aa17ca4b86.JPGIMG_E0550.thumb.JPG.2d3dd4263dfaad83a37f5746d8d911fb.JPGIMG_E0551.thumb.JPG.f747948a234a0eb956ba3f77f40c10c3.JPGIMG_0189.JPG.448644b654be266751d7b1f9d3240d76.JPGIMG_0333.thumb.JPG.965beb264bfbc2b80fccdd2a37709ff1.JPG

IMG_E0546.JPG

Edited by Impalow

I like this a LOT! Definitely one of the nicest Manxs I've seen, and I've seen a few nice ones. Bonus points awarded for painting the lower body black, as most of the real ones were.  More bonus points for sanding the tire treads, and for your complete description of the parts and materials you used. You are making me want to build one of these this year--my highest compliment! VERY well done and model on! :wub:B)

Extremely nice overall. Very, very clean, and your great looking metalflake paint looks just like the gelcoat these bodies were factory finished with.

You hit the look of many of the interior treatments in these dead-on too.

Your added hardware details, like the exhaust flanges and pulleys, also add much to the realism the model exhibits.

One small FYI...your Webers are side-drafts, not down-drafts, and couldn't work as mounted

Thank you everyone!! 

32 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Extremely nice overall. Very, very clean, and your great looking metalflake paint looks just like the gelcoat these bodies were factory finished with.

You hit the look of many of the interior treatments in these dead-on too.

Your added hardware details, like the exhaust flanges and pulleys, also add much to the realism the model exhibits.

One small FYI...your Webers are side-drafts, not down-drafts, and couldn't work as mounted

Yeah, i know... but the manifold and everything off that Tamiya super7 worked perfectly when i cut it in half... I figured its one of those things mainly only someone like yourself,  who has messed with the real thing would notice...  silly float bowls.  :D

3 hours ago, Impalow said:

Thank you everyone!! 

Yeah, i know... but the manifold and everything off that Tamiya super7 worked perfectly when i cut it in half... I figured its one of those things mainly only someone like yourself,  who has messed with the real thing would notice...  silly float bowls.  :D

I'm pretty sure the reason they would not work is, because they are solid plastic...

Beautiful Manx ! Your paint , interior , and engine detailing are all top notch !  :D I really like the headlights you substituted for the kit ones , now if we can just find some better taillights .  Do you have more info on the hood emblem ?