Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meyers Manx - 70's Metalflake Beach Buggy

Impalow

Eric, that turned out amazing! Love it. Between this Manx and Randy Derr's replica of the Derek Jenkins Manx, I have a ton of inspiration for whenever I do mine. I was going to do the same one Randy did, but since he blazed the trail first I feel less of a need for a replica and can do it more as a tribute w/my own touches...and maybe a little less stress :D

Thank you everyone for the kind words!   The metal flake actually looks even better in person, it really blings and pops.  I have gone down a rabbit hole using flakes lately...its something I've always been curious about, this hobby gives me a chance to experiment. 

I am working on a Roth Mailbox trike "box art inspired build"  that is using this size silver flake as well as the .002 I used on my Foose Truck. I have the silver base layed and cleared, and its super sparkly! :D

3 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Outstanding build but, I am stumped, how did you get the Phillips head screws in scale for the coil? 

Those are from an old Model car garage photo-etched sheet...   MCG-609   Sadly, no longer available, I've been snatching those up as well as the S&S bolt heads when I find them at shows and on eBay.

5 hours ago, TooOld said:

Beautiful Manx ! Your paint , interior , and engine detailing are all top notch !  :D I really like the headlights you substituted for the kit ones , now if we can just find some better taillights .  Do you have more info on the hood emblem ?

Actually,  I don't know much about the Logo.... I had this on the in progress table at Toledo and Gary came up and said "I have something for you"   He is building a fantastic NSX powered Manx, and had mastered a Photo-etch sheet for it, and he had some extras.  I am super appreciative of that emblem, after the flake and clear the molded in one was totally gone. 

Absolutely love it!  And what a fiddly little pain in the tail that kit is!   

meyers logo

I love the logo photo etch!  Icing on the cake!   Here's a photo I took many years ago.  This is the body data plate. It's rivited right above the trans tunnel on the rear seat front fiberglass.

• 5 months later...
On 1/8/2019 at 12:55 PM, Impalow said:

The metal flake actually looks even better in person, it really blings and pops.  I have gone down a rabbit hole using flakes lately...its something I've always been curious about, this hobby gives me a chance to experiment. 

I've been thinking of this build a lot lately Eric - I keep coming back and admiring the flake you used.  Can I ask what sort of airbrush you used to apply it?  I'm wondering if I have one that would be able to apply flake too!