Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint spray booth

Here's my version 3.0 that I've been using for a few years now. It's a downdraft style booth with a Dayton blower I ordered through my old job and takes a 14" x 25" filter below the stage. It's way overbuilt from 3/4" MDF.

IMG_6090.jpg

I just realized I hadn't cut the hole for the fan in the first pic, it's centered in the floor to hence the down-draft design.

IMG_6093.jpg

If you're thinking about building your own, I highly recommend this article by Klaus Raddatz. It was a godsend in designing mine.

Klaus' article on airbrush booth design

This is mine.

Works like a charm. I don't think there would be too much I'd change about it.

booth3.jpg

and I use it a lot. I have since added a second line and a Iwata brush.

boothtoday.jpg

Edited by CAL

And here is the layout for 2 booths cut from one 4x8 sheet of plywood:

plywoodcutout2.jpg

I used an 80cfm bathroom fan for the down draft exhaust. The booth itself is made out of 1x2 pine furring strips and 1/4" underlayment plywood for use under vinyl flooring. The 1/4 ply helps keep the weight down. After I made the layout plans and built the booth, I added a cut-out at the top for an aquarium light. I covered the hole with thin Lexan.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me!

Russ

I have the Adobe file from this guy for this booth, I can send it to those who would like it, if he doesnt respond.

really? too late i already made one so well see if the theory is true in a few hours

Yeah, mine is an up draft and if you keep it clean and run the fan for a bit before painting I haven't had any problems to make me want to change to a down draft.

It was my original plan to do a down draft, but would have required a lot more work and loss of booth space.

This is mine.

Works like a charm. I don't think there would be too much I'd change about it.

booth3.jpg

and I use it a lot. I have since added a second line and a Iwata brush.

boothtoday.jpg

This one looks very professional in its makeup, Was this cabinet from a home improvement store? did you mount a fan in the back?

This one looks very professional in its makeup, Was this cabinet from a home improvement store? did you mount a fan in the back?

Thanks, yes, well it started as one of those white storage deals from I think Home Depot. The fan is in the top section with a small compressor along with wiring and ducting to outside. I wanted it as self contained as possible. I think I spent $150 on the cabinet, hardware, plumbing for the compressor, wiring, a sheet of plexiglas, a fan and ductwork, and paint so it wasn't terribly expensive to build.

The switch panel is one master on off, compressor, fan and lights. The bottom is for extra storage.

The front panel and clear Plexiglas cants in to create a venturi to help the exhaust.

Added a Tamiya paint stand set and I was styling.

And I finished the inside with glossy home interior paint that I can always refinish as needed. Actually a large portion of the over spray just wipes out with some window cleaner and a rag.

Put the couple extra shelves in the bottom.

I wanted something that looked and worked well that was also functional so it was three months of pondering and looking around at other booths and gathering up the parts and about two days to build.

It works great, hugely cut down on over spray dust and fumes. My wife use to complain about it all the time, but now even when she is in the next room watching TV she doesn't notice. The only time she does is when she comes in the hobby room after I was spraying Tamiya primer or lacquers. Once I forgot to turn on the exhuast fan and boy, I know for sure now, it really makes a big difference. It also greatly cut down on dirts in my finishes.

mine is a carboard box wiht the top and front removed

I made one similar from the box my old tubed computer moniter came in. Turntable from bitz n pieces connected with an elastic band to a small wheel at front of boothe. A small extractor fan and some tumble dryer trunking leading to a filter(green issues here :lol: )

John

I made mine so it could be both an updraft or a downdraft, depending on what I need it for. Easiest way to make it was to use an overhead exhaust fan for a kitchen unit. You can get a decent one for under $100. I don't have any problem with paint falling onto my projects. Just make sure to clean the screen every week. I mainly use the updraft. It seems to work better.

IMG_0675.jpg

I made a little storage bench to hold my air compressor so I have all my tools to my left. If I need something, then I can easily grab it.

IMG_0682.jpg

I made mine so it could be both an updraft or a downdraft, depending on what I need it for. Easiest way to make it was to use an overhead exhaust fan for a kitchen unit. You can get a decent one for under $100. I don't have any problem with paint falling onto my projects. Just make sure to clean the screen every week. I mainly use the updraft. It seems to work better.

yeah, it looks awesome dude, but...i dont even have one of those in my kitchen

B)

IMG_0675.jpg

I made a little storage bench to hold my air compressor so I have all my tools to my left. If I need something, then I can easily grab it.

IMG_0682.jpg

This is what I have been looking To build I have the Fan that a freind let me have so I want to put someting together like this and pictures like this really are helpful.

Thanks,

Gabriel.

This is what I have been looking To build I have the Fan that a freind let me have so I want to put someting together like this and pictures like this really are helpful.

Thanks,

Gabriel.

It's real easy to make. The benches are a laddered-frame structure with plywood and hardboard on top. The booth itself sits on top of the laddered frame. I made a plywood box and attached it to the ducting. I put galvanized steel sheets on the inside for an easy clean surface. (which I haven't done in a while)

I did mine with wood and used an inductor for a fan. These inductors are usually installed between vents to move heat to the farthest rooms from the heat source in bigger houses. They have the electrical connections right on the outside so that you can hook them up any way you wish. They are usually hooked up to thermostats and stuff but all you have to do is splice and install an extension cord right onto them.

DB_204.jpg

I installed mine about three years ago and have not had any issues. I just ran some 4" flexible clothes dryer vent right outside the house and that's it.

DSC01717.jpg

These inductors come in 8" and 4" wide sizes, I went with an 8" and bought some reducing vent couplers to go from 8 to 4 inch flexible dryer vent material. Pretty good at sucking all the paint fumes right outside the side of my house!!!

• 2 weeks later...

you guys inspired me so here she is.......my spray paint booth

HPIM0273.jpg

HPIM0274.jpg

some assembly required ;)

HPIM0275.jpg

HPIM0276.jpg

thats more like it.

on the bottom of that beauty is a 29,95 bathroom fan from the home depot rated at 70 CFM

on the top is a light fixture from my old 50 gallon aqarium (the aqarium died long ago but i cant throw anything out)

all the wood was donated by my job (i fished it all out of the junk pile)

i had to buy some glue, silicone, a caulk gun the fan and 12 dollars worht of 3 inch tubing (25 feet worth)

grand total is just over 55 dollars out of pocket.

now all i need to do is caulk the seams and find me a thin sheet of plexiglass to go under that light.

i already have the wood cut for the "door" but i cant decide if i should hinge it from the top or from the bottom :P

anyway, lets take her for a test drive

HPIM0277.jpg

HPIM0278.jpg

i totally love it, no more picking coloured boogers for me :lol:

Edited by diymirage

finished her up today

added a stand for it with a shelf so i can stash rattle cans on my shelf and the air compressor underneath it.

i also finished up the wiring, now the fan has a switch right on the front of the booth,

and i added two grounded outlets, one for the air compressor on for who knows what.

the light is hard wired in (has a switch on the back of it)

i also recesed the light, i cut a hole in the top just lagr enough for the entire light to fit through and then i screwed a piece of clear plexiglass underneath

the hole thing is attached to a 12 foot cord so i can put it pretty much wherever (the exhaust tube is 25 foot)

i also went through it and seal of every seam with silicone

ill post up pick prolly over the weekend , camera is out of batteries

I have the Adobe file from this guy for this booth, I can send it to those who would like it, if he doesnt respond.

I made mine from these plans. Used a bathroom exhaust fan and I make sure that the fan is running before I start painting. I've had no problems with mine.