Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jan 2019--Chad Returns.

stavanzer

I'm wondering why Chad is wearing a Nike cap instead of an AMT Kat logo cap! 

Seriously, though, I think it's the best month's lineup that Round 2 has done so far.  I saw the '59 Imperial and '34 Ford pickup kits lurking in the background and impatiently waited through the rest of his narration.  Some of the Johnny Lightning die casts looked nice.  Then the '58 Impala and '70 El Camino in 1/18th scale are tempting.  To top it all off, the McEwen dragster and see-through trailer are possible purchases.  The Chevelle had me thinking of the awful taillights and incorrect body molding from the '68, but maybe they worked on fixing those?  The GTX is one of my favorite muscle cars, but I already have the hardtop promo.  I'm looking forward to next month!     

41 minutes ago, Motor City said:

Rich,

The 1/32 'Bird is really nice.  I bought the 1/25th kit recently.  I wonder why it hasn't been reissued.  

I don't think the 1/25th tool still exists. AMT did a huge scrap and purge back around 1973. Reduced the taxable assets but a lot of those cool old annuals bit the dust from that. 

Nice to see the '59 Imperial back! Prices were starting to get a little salty on the 'Bay with those so hopefully its return will put the kibosh on that.

I have one, but I'd like another one or two. I'd definitely like one to kitbash with Paul Hettick's upcoming Imperial Crown four door hardtop and then there's a '58 two door hardtop conversion I'd like to do as I have all the bits and pieces for that now. ;)

I also saw the T-Bird in the background and was really excited about it, until I saw that it's 1/32... Anyway, the '59 Imperial is a must have kit for me. The Mongoose Dragster is interesting as well so I'll probably have to get one of those, too.

4 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Nice to see the '59 Imperial back! Prices were starting to get a little salty on the 'Bay with those so hopefully its return will put the kibosh on that.

I have one, but I'd like another one or two. I'd definitely like one to kitbash with Paul Hettick's upcoming Imperial Crown four door hardtop and then there's a '58 two door hardtop conversion I'd like to do as I have all the bits and pieces for that now. ;)

I have been following Paul on eBay hoping that he will start selling the Ford wagon kits. No luck on that yet, but he has had both the Imperial and '59 Chevy wagon listed from time-to time. 

8 hours ago, RichCostello said:

I think the only Tbird available from the "square bird" era is the Monogram version, and it's 1/24.

That's correct, Rich, and a thread on this site indicates it cannot be built 100% stock (I think it was the wheels and wheelcovers). 

I bought an original AMT '60 T-bird kit.  Like Dave Darby, I'm guessing the tooling was probably scrapped.   

42 minutes ago, Motor City said:

That's correct, Rich, and a thread on this site indicates it cannot be built 100% stock (I think it was the wheels and wheelcovers). 

I bought an original AMT '60 T-bird kit.  Like Dave Darby, I'm guessing the tooling was probably scrapped.   

I think the kit manufacturers need to take a look at a new "square bird". A lot of cool possibilities, stock, custom, NASCAR.

I'm hoping the Firestone Indy 500 slicks make it to parts packs. I'd like a few sets of those for early pro stocks. The Garlits kit being reissued is disappointing. What I don't understand is why they don't redo the body to actually fit the chassis. It has always looked oversized.

10 hours ago, iBorg said:

I'm hoping the Firestone Indy 500 slicks make it to parts packs. I'd like a few sets of those for early pro stocks. The Garlits kit being reissued is disappointing. What I don't understand is why they don't redo the body to actually fit the chassis. It has always looked oversized.

I often wonder how a Revell FED would have looked if it had been done off the 1/16 patterns. It would have been one delicate piece. But way more accurate and better looking than the MPC cars.