[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
RDean58

Camaro Farm Philippines

:o:huh: "Jackstands?! Wheel chocks? What are those??

garage2_subic.jpg

1 hour ago, Casey said:

:o:huh: "Jackstands?! Wheel chocks? What are those??

garage2_subic.jpg

jack stands = axle stands   wheel chocks = blocks to stop your car rolling away (like the pilots in ww2 films chocks away)

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

jack stands = axle stands   wheel chocks = blocks to stop your car rolling away (like the pilots in ww2 films chocks away)

The sarcasm must've been lost in translation. I was more shocked by the extremely unsafe use of two floor jacks to support the car instead of using jackstands, and the lack of any type of wheel chock to keep the car from moving while still resting on the tires. If you're going to risk your life and put all your trust in two jack valves, fine, but don't put the picture on your website and show everyone your lack of basic safety and car care. No excuse for this.

They have an annual award for situations which begin like this, and end much worse. -_- Use jackstands, kids. Your life is worth it.

28 minutes ago, Casey said:

The sarcasm must've been lost in translation. I was more shocked by the extremely unsafe use of two floor jacks to support the car instead of using jackstands, and the lack of any type of wheel chock to keep the car from moving while still resting on the tires. If you're going to risk your life and put all your trust in two jack valves, fine, but don't put the picture on your website and show everyone your lack of basic safety and car care. No excuse for this.

They have an annual award for situations which begin like this, and end much worse. -_- Use jackstands, kids. Your life is worth it.

after re-reading I now see the sarcasm. I just thought it was an enquiry ala hood=bonnet sorta thing

Thanks for posting that Rob. I had it in favorites before but lost it when I had to have the operating system restored last summer. 

Great resource for building a stock 1st gen Camaro.

I would choose a 67 convertible over any other year as it had the vent windows on the doors.

On 1/9/2019 at 12:52 PM, Casey said:

If you're going to risk your life and put all your trust in two jack valves...

= death wish.

EDIT: Or maybe you just like the idea of being horribly disfigured and crippled for life.

I've seen valves in hydraulic jacks fail, and cars roll off of jacks when wheels weren't chocked. I've seen concrete blocks that cars were on just crumble. I've seen piles of chunks of 4X4 fall over. I've even seen welds fail on cheap offshore jackstands and drop a car.

If you're going to get under something that weighs around 3000 pounds, make sure it can't possibly crush you.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

When I was in High School a friends father was crushed in their driveway changing the oil in their car. As I recall he didn't put any chocks around the front tires and it rolled back on top of him. Their car was a Corvair and we all know how low they were, and he was on a creeper to boot.