Model Cars Magazine Forum

53' ford AMT update 1/30/19

For this build i was originally  going to weather the whole thing but now I'm thinking i might do a sleeper kinda thing with some weather on the outside and clean "custom" engine and interior. for now I'm just working the chassis and body i lifted the rear with a extra leaf spring and lower the front a little with some sanding. I'm using the stock fenders that came with the kit and grill I'm going to do wood in the bed. thanks for looking and comments appreciated.

Breezy

IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

Edited by Breezy

how i got started to do models was my father in law found two kits in nov2018 a revell GM race car and a revell mustang lowrider with some paint that he didn't want so deciding i want to do a model i looked them over and didn't want to build ether. i once owned a Nissan D21 and saw a kit thought it would be cool and it was. it went over okay but i did not finish and looking for advice online i found the forums (this being my fav so far) after doing some serious reading i new i wanted to build something really nice and the d21 wasn't it. i bought a 67 chevelle AMT and finished it and I'm happy with it. now i have bought the 53 ford because it looked fun and had a lot of stuff for a fair price 19$ i also bought a 66 nova because it was only 10$ which i haven't opened. here i am and I'm ready to step my game up. the wiring job on my d21 looked like a child did it, which I'm not, as for the chevell i just wanted to get a model under my belt as done and did it box stock except for front tires. this kit has been really fun but once i started to build it as a service truck i instintly went to drag, because speed is more fun than work, so this is the second mock up i got a ruff idea for it from a drag video with a 53 ford sleeper that frigin smoked em! it was diesel and il be doing a gas job it also didn't have a bed which i want to use but i think it would be cool with out the bed and i could just buy another kit, and i will get another one of these, and try the old work truck another time. thanks for reading and advice and comments on style to choose is appreciated. 

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

Edited by Breezy

2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

I've heard that about these kits Terry. I may have to pick one of these up.

Good progress on this one.

I don't think you will be disappointed. I have built many of these over the years. Many ways you can go with it, from rusty junker to all out show truck.

Great work on one of my favorite old kits!

Here's a suggestion...  note that the grille teeth were a higher end option.  I believe the majority of the trucks didn't have those. I took them off on my build because they weren't on the truck I was modeling.  I rarely see anyone else take them off!  

Image result for 1953 ford pickup

With...

Related image

Without...

• 3 weeks later...

In the process of paint, i have to set up and break down my airbrush, and the engine is coming along I'm going to use the stock flat head and save the other engine i went for a teal-ish enamel i enjoy hand painting and would like to master hand painted engines. the body a coat of white primer then a coat of grey primer with a silver base coat it will be a color shift purple/pink with black bumpers, step, chassis and getting inspiration from another 53 model i will be running the pipes down the bed. i guess i have the wrong wire size for plug caps and wires. i need a micrometer. i have gathered the material to cast distributers just need the correct wires. Thanks for looking. comments always welcome.

IMG_1963.jpg

IMG_1962.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

• 1 month later...

Got the body painted and i stripped the engine to start over in red. i think the body came out nice. i will be doing the interior in white with a black dash i also think the panel lines came out a bit light. kinda grey.IMG_2287.thumb.jpg.bceba455ee7f8b25126ad0ff4c7a24b5.jpg

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2281.jpg

Edited by Breezy